can Netherlands Antilles bcome the fifth Caribbean team in World Cup 2010 or 2014...? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2005, 04:34 Thread Starter
Rising Star

can Netherlands Antilles bcome the fifth Caribbean team in World Cup 2010 or 2014...?

http://www.xtratime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175076
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2005, 12:17
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Honestly, I doubt it. They're too small to mount any serious challenge. If a 5th CONCACAF team is going to qualify, I'd have to think it'd be Jamaica.

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2005, 11:38 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Jamaica qualified before

Netherlands Antilles have many Dutch-based players
I think they can play more friendy matches in Netherlands with other nations

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 04:01
International

Maybe, I'm not that familiar with the players the Netherlands Antilles has

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 04:28
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
I hate to say that I don't think so, since I think many of the best Antillan players would play for the Dutch NT, much as those Surinam players have in the past. Same with Aruba. I think the strongest Carribean nations outside T&T and Jamaica would be Haiti, Cuba, and possibly St. Kitts or St. Vincent, but none of them really have a shot at qualification, as Central America (except Nicaragua ), USA, Canada, T&T, and Jamaica are simply too strong and the nations are too small to support a strong domestic league and strong football culture. Plus, many football in many Carribean nations faces competition from cricket, baseball, and even basketball. I think Cuba and Haiti are the only two nations that have much potential (they have qualified in the past, too), but Cuba faces much competition from baseball, as well as other sports, and Haiti has too many other problems. The Dominican Republic could feasibly have the necessary support structure to have a competitive program, but baseball is so widespread there that football will never be big.

If there are any nations to look out for in CONCACAF in general though, I would say that Guatemala has alot of potential and showed signs of it in qualification. Panama is possible, but IIRC they have alot of players nearing the end of their careers, so it will take a while to establish a new crop of players that can take Panama to the next level. Canada could become a threat if they get their act together, and Honduras could also get there. El Salvador is dominated by football, but they don't seem to have the talent, and Nicaragua is dominated by baseball (though in some places football is more popular) and there doesn't seem to be enough talent or resources for development there. I really do hope football grows in Nicaragua (I played alot of it there, my town was in one of the couple football-dominated provinces), as I developed a bit of an affection for the country while I was there and they are passionate for the game. If only it could be throughout the country I think Nicaragua could grow in talent, but unfortunately, I don't see it happening.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 08:05
Rising Star

Teams: K.V. Turnhout
But since the Netherlands Antilles are part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and their inhabitants are Dutch citizens, anybody who has Dutch citizenship can play for the Netherlands Antilles (likewise with Aruba).

This may give them an advantage.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 12:28
International

I think naervod hit the nail on the head. Because the players from Netherlands Antilles are Dutch citizens, most of the top players would choose to play for the Netherlands. I don't think it's right, but I understand why they would do that, the Dutch NT is much better.

And baseball is a major problem. It's the number one sport in most Caribbean nations (at least I think it is). Soccer has to compete against that, and with the lure of Major League Baseball, most people won't play soccer.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 21:27
Premier Player

Teams: West Ham United, Chicago Fire.
I'd like to see the Dutch national team choose to play for Antilles. It'd be just what they need to get footie big there. If Dutch stars like Van Bommel, Kuyt, Van Nistelrooy and Davids were playing for Antilles don't you think that footie would get ridiculously popular in Netherlands Antilles? I do! They'd probably go all the way to the World Cup. The talent Netherlands has available is incredible.

West Ham United

Choose a club for better, for worse, but also for life. CHOOSE WEST HAM!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 12:29
International

And why would they do that? There is no reason that they would turn down playing for the Dutch NT to play for the Antilles. That'd be like turning down Barcelona to play for Doncaster Rovers.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 17:59
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
if they dont have a chance to make the Dutch NT they could play for the Antillen ? The return of Kluivert in a NT
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2005, 06:35
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic
And baseball is a major problem. It's the number one sport in most Caribbean nations (at least I think it is). Soccer has to compete against that, and with the lure of Major League Baseball, most people won't play soccer.
In nations like Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic its baseball that dominates, and in nations like St. Vincent, St. Kitts, Bahamas, other British colonies/former colonies it is cricket that dominates. In the case of countries like Haiti, Netherlands Antilles, Aruba, etc. though it is because of political problems, infrastructure problems, or the fact that many of the best players will play for their "mother nation."

NWO BABY
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:09 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic
I think naervod hit the nail on the head. Because the players from Netherlands Antilles are Dutch citizens, most of the top players would choose to play for the Netherlands. I don't think it's right, but I understand why they would do that, the Dutch NT is much better.

Senegal, Ivory Coast have many players in France. I think some of them would choose to play for France at first, but France NT didn't choose them, they choose their motherland then. But these "French B" NTs can qualify for World Cups.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2005, 21:48
World Class Player

All those countries in questions have a significantly larger talent pool to choose from.

NWO BABY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in