Canada? Success? Wot??? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2005, 23:55 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Rookie

Canada? Success? Wot???

The Canadian Under-15 team showed great flair in crushing Grenada 6:0 in a Group C CFU Youth Cup game. I don't know a lot about Canada, especially their youth, but do any of the Canadians here at XT know about how the youth development is going there? I would hope it'd be going well, I kinda miss those goofy Northerners making the World Cup. Added a bit of an...odd feeling to it. In the same way it would if Australia qualified.

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=3120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2005, 23:57
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Well, Canada hasn't gone to the World Cup in awhile. Heck, they can't even get out of the 1st group stage anymore. I remember two years back, a Canadian, Wyn Bellote, joined Wisla Krakow. But, he never made an apperance and was eventually released. They have produced a few top notch footballers, like Paul Stalteri, but other than that, they haven't done much. Maybe if MLS went there, they could improve.

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2005, 20:32 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Rookie

Ehhh...I don't like American sports leagues being played in Canada. I've had enough bad experiences in baseball, damn Bluejays. Seriously, though, it'd be beneficial for football in North America if we made it to where Canadians would have a local team, to broaden the league. I know there's been speak of MLS going to Toronto, and I'm all for it. They had a great crowd at a great stadium for Liverpool and Porto in the summer of '04, so I think they'd do well.

I don't think the Canadians have made a World Cup in my lifetime, but viewing old tapes and reading about it, it just seems kinda funny for them to be there. They can produce good players, like DeRosario (no scoffs ) who really is a great player, capable of scoring very, very good goals. The problem is players like Owen Hargreaves, who really is Canadian, decided to go to Germany to play then represent England internationally. He's stated in interviews that he didn't play for Canada because they weren't good enough for him. Which is a shame. Canada needs to do better with their youth to crush conceptions like that.

Hell, America needs to do that. Stupid Rossi.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 01:54
International

So instead, Canada has Radzinski who is really Polish

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 02:10
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by the scientist
I don't think the Canadians have made a World Cup in my lifetime, but viewing old tapes and reading about it, it just seems kinda funny for them to be there. They can produce good players, like DeRosario (no scoffs ) who really is a great player, capable of scoring very, very good goals. The problem is players like Owen Hargreaves, who really is Canadian, decided to go to Germany to play then represent England internationally. He's stated in interviews that he didn't play for Canada because they weren't good enough for him. Which is a shame. Canada needs to do better with their youth to crush conceptions like that.

Hell, America needs to do that. Stupid Rossi.
DeRosario is a stud!! Love watching that guy every week.....

I wouldn't mind an expansion of the MLS into Toronto, Vancouver, and/or Montreal. But it has to be a grassroots everywhere in Canada land. Youth, good camps, everything. I would love for Canada to do well. I think it would be great to have another CONCACAF force to reckon with and Canada is ripe for it.

Hell, us Earthquakes fans have two of them in DeRosario and Onstad. And we're happy with them as well. :thmbup:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 12:57
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
Dam..bunch of immigrants there like it is here...u could find alot of gems there...it is untappd! They just need a dam league tho!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 14:31
International

Well, they do have two teams that compeat in the A-League and I think the Toronto Lynx are actually pretty good. They have a great following, including a group of Ultras. Canadian football could become very good. They just have to stop playing hockey.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2005, 22:51
Premier Player

Teams: England, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo

I wouldn't mind an expansion of the MLS into Toronto, Vancouver, and/or Montreal. But it has to be a grassroots everywhere in Canada land. Youth, good camps, everything. I would love for Canada to do well. I think it would be great to have another CONCACAF force to reckon with and Canada is ripe for it.
Exactly , there needs to more soccer camps for young kids like there is with ice hockey. Soccer has the potential to be huge here as more immigrants arrive. I'd personally love to see the MLS in Canada, here in Montreal, they'll be a new soccer-only stadium built in time for the World Youth Cup in 2007. Toronto's Rogers Centre could be a good soccer stadium or even the field at York University.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in