LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2005, 11:36 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Concacaf Champions Cup-News/Results

Monterrey, United quickest off their marks

(FIFA.com) 10 Mar 2005

Mexico's Monterrey and MLS champs D.C United were the big winners in the first matchday of the 2005 CONCACAF Champions Cup.
Hugo Sanchez's Pumas from Mexico City managed a draw on the road with Honduran powerhouses Olimpia, while CF Monterrey made easy meat of Guatemala's Municipal at home.
D.C. United came out on top against Jamaican side Harbour View thanks to some youthful endeavour, while Major League Soccer compatriots Kansas City Wizards could find no spell to master Costa Rica's Saprissa in a 0-0 snorer on home soil.

Youth tells for United, Wizards lack magic
MLS champions DC United got their 2005 CONCACAF Champions Cup campaign off on the right foot with an enthralling win over Jamaica's Harbour View Football Club.

The 3,825 fans who braved the sub-freezing temperatures and turned out at the intimate Maryland SoccerPlex must have thought they were in for a rout when, in only the fifth minute, U.S. international up-and-comer Alecko Eskandarian collected a ball from teenage sensation Freddy Adu to open the scoring.

But after the early setback, the skilful club from Kingston began to find their feet. Some deft work led to a Luton Shelton equaliser in minute 23. The teenager, who recently scored the only goal in a win over Cuba that saw Jamaica crowned champions of the Caribbean, made no mistake when presented with a golden chance.

United, though, dragged themselves back into the match with Josh Gros sealing the victory in minute 64. The bobbling, cumbersome header is only his second goal in D.C. colours.

The clash between Kansas City Wizards and Deportivo Saprissa of Costa Rica was a tactical battle - played brilliantly by Hernan Medford's men. All too aware that they were playing on the road, the Central Americans invited the home side to attack at Arrowhead Stadium. Unfortunately, Bob Gansler's Wizards are not exactly the most forward-thinking side in the States' top flight. And unable to get anything going up front, the physically charged match ended in a 0-0 stalemate.

Kansas City will now have to conjure up some unlikely goals in the return leg at Saprissa Stadium in San Jose - notorious throughout the region as one of the most inhospitable grounds.

The U.S. teams are in their 'off-season,' while the rest of the competition's competitors are in the midst of their domestic campaigns. The MLS season is set to begin in early April.

A decent day for Mexico
Hugo Sanchez's UNAM Pumas decided not to play for the point on the road in Tegucigalpa - choosing instead to attack from the opening whistle against the Honduran champs. However, an 48th-minute goal from Winston Palacios gave the hosts a 1-0 lead. But Uruguayan striker Diego Alonso evened it up just eight minutes from time to pull off a crucial road draw in a tricky Central American venue.

While Pumas left it late, Monterrey were on their way to a simple victory after only three minutes. Before the Municipal players even had time to stretch their legs, Ricardo Martinez had bundled the ball past the keeper to send the home fans wild. Pablo Rotchen added another just before the half to make it 2-0 at the interval. There was to be no way back for the visitors. Though they managed to pull one back in a spirited second half, it was not enough as they lost 1-2.

The second leg of the home-and-away series will take place on 16 March. The quarter-final winners will move on to a semi-final series scheduled for 6 and 13 April. The winners of the semi-final home-and-away series will then head for the final scheduled for early May. The CONCACAF champion will earn a berth at the FIFA Club World Championship in Japan from 11-18 December.

The CONCACAF Champions' Cup is the oldest international club competition in the region and has crowned the champion club of the Confederation since its inception in 1962. Guadalajara were crowned the first champions, and since then Mexico has won the lion's share with 21 titles.

With holders LD Alajuelense having failed to qualify for the 2005 edition of the CONCACAF Champions Cup, there will be a new champion this time around.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old March 13th, 2005, 13:22
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
DC will advance cuz they have a pure striker in Eskandarian...kansas on da other hand...oh , boy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old March 13th, 2005, 17:22
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
I doubt that the Chiefs will advance, Saprissa is a pretty strong side

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2005, 20:47 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Mexico's Pumas defeat Honduras' Olimpia 2-1 in Champions Cup play

March 17, 2005
MEXICO CITY (AP) --

Mexico's Pumas got an overtime goal from Argentine forward Bruno Marioni and defeated Honduras' Olimpia 2-1 Wednesday to advance to the semifinals of the CONCACAF regional Champion's Cup.

Marioni scored after 121 minutes.

Pumas opened the scoring at 17 minutes on a goal by Bolivian forward Joaquin Botero. Olimpia's Jerry Palacios evened it up at 30 minutes on a corner shot.

Olimpia's Wilson Palacios was expelled at 111 minutes.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2005, 18:37
Premier Player

Teams: Germinal Beerschot, Avenir Beggen!!
did anyone see the game pumas vs. dc united....5-0!! Pumas embarassed DC.
Goals:
Pumas - Bruno Marioni (Diego Alonso) 12
Pumas - Joaquín Botero (Bruno Marioni) 47
Pumas - Joaquín Botero (Bruno Marioni) 73
Pumas - David Toledo (Jaime Lozano) 85
Pumas - Jaime Lozano (Joaquín Botero) 89

I was wathing it a little, then I had to go to a game, It was 2-0 when I left , then bam, 3 more goals. They had complete control of the game, and DC had horrible passes, and played like they gave up....

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2005, 20:02
International

Pumas is a strong team, they've just had some problems in the Clasura 2005.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2005, 21:51
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
Does anybody have a list of all of the previous winners?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2005, 23:12
International

I might have a list in the soccer encylopedia i have, but I'll find it and check. However, the list won't be completely up to date.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in