Official CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2004, 00:05 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Official CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Thread

This thread will be for any and all news related to CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers. Post match reports, comments, latest news, everything related to CONCACAF WCQF in here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2004, 00:06 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Honduras, Costa Rica fight to stay in race

Honduras and Costa Rica, two of the CONCACAF region's most accomplished teams, meet on Wednesday in a World Cup qualifier which will leave the losers out of the race for a place in the 2006 finals Germany.

Jamaica also face a huge task, needing at least a point and more likely a win away to the United States to make the final stage of the CONCACAF qualifying tournament next year. Otherwise, Panama or El Salvador will progress instead.

Honduras, who have failed to build on an excellent year in 2001 when they beat Brazil at the Copa America and were voted FIFA's team of the year, must win their second-stage match to accompany Guatemala into the final round from Group B.

Costa Rica, who gave a good account of themselves in the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea where they were pipped on goal difference for a second-round place by eventual semi-finalists Turkey, only need a draw.

A tense atmosphere is expected and the visitors are already upset at Honduras's decision to move the game to the 20,000 capacity Francisco Morazan stadium, where the crowd is closer to the pitch than in the country's usual venues.

The Costa Ricans say the stadium, named after a Honduran national hero who was shot dead in Costa Rica in 1842, was not on the original list of venues nominated by the Hondurans.

Honduras began the group by beating Costa Rica 5-2 away but have not won since. Coach Raul Martinez was fired after last month's 1-0 defeat in Guatemala and replaced by stalwart Jose de la Paz Herrera, who returns for a third stint.

Honduras will be without their top scorer David Suazo as the Italian-based striker, who has five goals, is out with a thigh strain.

Malaga's Paulo Wanchope, with five goals in his last three qualifiers, is the main threat for the Ticos.

"There are a lot of experienced players who can face this atmosphere," said Costa Rica midfielder Steven Bryce.

'VINCY HEAT'

Guatemala, who qualified with a game to spare, face eliminated Canada in the group's other match.

Jamaica can expect sub-zero temperatures in Columbus, Ohio, where they face United States, who are already qualified.

The Reggae Boyz, led by Brazil's 1990 World Cup coach Sebastiao Lazaroni, are second in Group A with six points, followed by Panama on five and El Salvador on four.

Austrian-based striker Roberto Brown, Panama's leading scorer with four goals, faces a late fitness test before the match against El Salvador in Panama City.

Thirty-two-year-old Argentine-born midfielder Emiliano Pedrozo, who won Salvadorean nationality last month, could make his debut for the visitors.

Trinidad & Tobago need only a point at home to St Vincent & Grenadines to join Mexico as the qualifiers from Group C and complete the line-up.

The Soca Warriors will be missing leading scorer Stern John, who has six goals, through injury but should be too powerful for their smaller neighbours.

Coach Bertille St Clair, however, was taking nothing from granted.

"We are not going for a walk in the park and actually they said they are coming to give us some 'Vincy heat' so we have to be prepared to cool them down," he said.

Mexico, who have enjoyed some shooting practice in the group, will attempt to finish with a 100 percent record and add to their 19 goals from five games when they host St Kitts & Nevis in Monterrey.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2004, 15:12
Premier Player

Teams: Juventus
YEAH!!! WE DID IT!!!! VAMOS TICOS!!!!!

In your face Warner!!!

After all was done, after all was said, Costa Rica prove that doesn't matter if they change the stadium, doesnt matter if they don't let uis use th field for practice, doesnt matter if the give us just a few ticketts for out fans, doesn't matter that all the Honduras press talked crap during the entire month, didn't matter if the "president" of the Concacaf sadi that Costa Rica was inferior to Honduras... at the end we show them that Costa Rica RULES!!!!!

Be aware... Juventus is comming back for what is ours!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2004, 19:03 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

I thought The Ticos would get it done.

I think with this momentum they'll carry on and advance to the World Cup along with Mexico and America.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2004, 19:24
Premier Player

Teams: Juventus
I hope so, by the way, congratulations on the new job, we haven't been introduce, Im Esteban and I'm from Costa Rica, I post here from time tio time (generaly when Costa Rica plays )

Be aware... Juventus is comming back for what is ours!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2004, 19:28
Legend

Congratulations Ticos,
it was gonna be strange to watch the Hexagoanl witjout Costa Rica,
I knew it from the start tha CR was gonna make it.

The Big News is Panama is IN.
See you in San Jose.

Btw thanks Americans for drawing to the Reggae boys,
that made our day.

Certified thread killer - Best on the web.

No one ever says "It's only a game!" when their team is winning .

Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind. -Kipling
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2004, 03:00 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

'Big Three' through but Jamaica, Honduras bow out

Mexico and the United States predictably won their respective North/Central American and Caribbean Zone groups to book spots in the final round of qualifying. The third member of the ruling triumvirate Costa Rica - despite a shaky start to proceedings - took advantage of a slip-up from Guatemala to take top spot in Group Two, sadly bumping impressive Honduras out of the next round. Trinidad and Tobago join Mexico from a weak Group Three, while France 98 veterans Jamaica tumble ignominiously into the night.

Young American phenom Eddie Johnson sent Jamaica crashing out of contention for the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™. His goal in the 15th minute from Columbus, Ohio spelled doom for the inconsistent Caribbean islanders . Though his Major League Soccer cohort Andy Williams drew the visitors level (1-1) shortly thereafter, the one point proved not enough for the disorganised Reggae Boyz – whose qualifying campaign seemed cursed from the start with poor performances at their one-time fortress in Kingston. The strike was young Johnson’s fifth for the States in only three caps.

Reggae Boyz lose the beat
The match also saw American Oguchi Onyewu sent off in minute 73, and 18-year-old Manchester United starlet Johnathan Spector make his U.S. national team debut in a match with very little meaning for the States.

Already assured of a place in the region’s final round of qualifying, U.S. boss Bruce Arena took time out to tinker with his line-up. But with massive importance for the Jamaicans, the clash was a physical one as the islanders played with a palpable desperation.

“I was pleased with our performance,” Arena said after the match. “I thought the opportunity to play some of our young players and the leadership from our veterans like McBride and Keller was outstanding. I can’t be more pleased. I would have liked to have the three points, but certainly one point is a fair result. It was a good experience to be in that situation and come out on top.”

Party time in Panama

Panama were doing the Jamaicans no favours either. A 3-0 win over El Salvador at home in Panama City saw them pip Jamaica and squeeze through with the States into the final round of qualifying.

It has been a banner year in the normally non-football-centric nation. But with impressive wins both on the road and at home, and a spot in the final round, the Panamanians were partying in the streets.

Canada managed a win for pride against previously rampant Guatemala in Guatemala City. A goal from Dwayne De Rosario brought the Canucks’ points tally to five, while consigning the Guatemalans to a second place finish behind Costa Rica.

Costa Rica bounce back, Group Three simple as pie

The Ticos rebounded after a disastrous start to the semi-final round of qualifying. And their 0-0 draw with Honduras in San Pedro Sula, not only saw them finish top of the group thanks to a better goal difference than Guatemala, but also knocked impressive Honduras out of contention for a finals spot.

Group 3 finished predictably enough with Mexico way out in front on 18 points. Closest chasers Trinidad & Tobago were victorious and join the Mexicans in the final round with 12, while both St. Kitts and Nevis and St. Vincent and the Grenadines are out.

El Tri finished off their rampaging semi-final campaign with a 8-0 thrashing of St. Kitts in sizzling Monterrey. A brace apiece from Hector Altamirano and Francisco Fonseca, and a hat trick from Luis Perez saw the Mexicans comfortably on their way.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2004, 03:05 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

I am glad to see Panama advancing. I hope they can advance to the World Cup, it'd be a great sight to be. Of course, not at our expense, though!

Mexico looked good, but keep in mind they were in a very weak qualifying group.

Costa Rica and Guatemala will be battle hardened, but I think they'll struggle in the Hexagonal. I think Costa Rica will take third place behind Mexico and USA, with Guatemala fighting with Trinidad and Tobago for the 4th place spot and the play-off.

Panama will enjoy getting so far, and they could definately spring a suprise or two, but I don't think they posess the overall strength to qualify.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 04:11
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Zola
I am glad to see Panama advancing. I hope they can advance to the World Cup, it'd be a great sight to be. .
Thanks for your wishes mate, the Yanks made us a favor by drawing on the last date with the Reggae boys when the US was already in the next round thats class nowdays, Ive seen sides who dont mind resting their main players for games like that.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 14:58
World Class Player

Teams: Internazionale
It wouldn't be all that shocking to see Panama advance, the gap between these teams after Mexico and the US aren't all that big.

Best of luck to your country, Alter Ego. I just wish Haiti will get invited to the Gold Cup next year.

Nulla è impossibile per questa Inter
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 20:25
Legend

Thanks Gaetan.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2004, 14:47
Rookie

Teams: Santos, DC United, USA
I was cheering for Panama during the game, way to go.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2004, 23:10
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
I was cheering for Panama during the game, way to go.
me too!

"To go down as the greatest, it will take lots of work but that is my target. If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

CRISTIANO RONALDO
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2004, 14:51
Legend

Thanks for your support brothers

If u ever come to Panamá, just let me know before. We ll party together. :thmbup:

Last edited by Alter Ego; December 12th, 2004 at 02:43.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:01 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego
Thanks for your wishes mate, the Yanks made us a favor by drawing on the last date with the Reggae boys when the US was already in the next round thats class nowdays, Ive seen sides who dont mind resting their main players for games like that.

We actually used a rather reserve side, but we were still able to take the Jamaicans, so I guess I'll take that as a compliment for the USA!

Something I wonder is what do you guys make of getting that additional half spot for qualifying? I think we deserve it after the brilliance CONCACAF team showed at the last tournament, what do you think?
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 13:10
Rising Star

Teams: Hungary, Euskadi
I'm new in this forum, and interested in CONCACAF zone.

I support the central-american republics.
I'm very sad, that Honduras pulled out, though I supported Costa Rica (my fav team in CONCACAF), and Guatemala as well. I think that was the hardest group of all with Canada!

Why I support these teams? Cause of their style! I like dribbling, the latin style of football. I know, they are not so good tactically, but I don't mind it. They enjoy football! Too much tactics will kill these beautiful game for sure!

Would you provide some infos about forthcoming matches here?

I wanna write an article it on a tipster forum.

cheers guys,

good luck to all
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2005, 09:32
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Leading scorers in CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers

RIO DE JANEIRO, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Leading scorers in the CONCACAF Zone, World Cup qualifying tournament: 10 - Jared Borgetti (Mexico) 8 - Jaime Lozano (Mexico) 7 - John Nusum (Bermuda), Ian Lake (St Kitts & Nevis), Carlos

Ruiz (Guatemala) 6 - Lester More (Cuba), Marlon King (Jamaica), Stern John

(Trinidad & Tobago) 5 - David Suazo (Honduras), Paulo Wanchope (Costa Rica), Eddie

Johnson (U.S.), Roberto Brown (Panama)

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2005, 11:41
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Qualifiers resume today, should be interesting to see

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2005, 19:12
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
omg Borgetti w/ 8 goals!
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2005, 10:48
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
U.S. Beats Trinidad 2-1 in Final Round of Qualifiers

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in