US (and Mexico) should join Conmebol - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2004, 22:56 Thread Starter
Rookie

US (and Mexico) should join Conmebol

And so The U.S. Men’s National Soccer Team advanced to the final round of FIFA World Cup qualifying in the CONCACAF region with an authoritative 6-0 trouncing of Panama at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.
In order to move on to the final round of six, of which three teams will directly qualify for the 2006 World Cup, with the number four playing a head-to-head playoff with the number five of the Asian qualifying region, the U.S. (ranked 11th in the world) had to end in the top two spots in a group that further featured the yet mentioned Panama (103rd), Jamaica (51st) and El Salvador (106th).
In order to actually make its fourth consecutive World Cup-berth, the U.S. must now be among the top three in a final group that will feature CONCACAF-powerhouse and US-archrival Mexico (10th in the world), Costa Rica (32nd), Guatemala (61st), Trinidad and Tobago (64th), and yet again Panama. Yes, the same team the U.S. put a half dozen past just a week ago.
Barren any major disasters, one can assume the U.S. will be among the top three when the final whistle is blown. And while a constant flow of World Cup-appearances might look like a positive development in American soccer, it is the utter lack of competition in the qualifying rounds that is keeping the U.S. (and its players) from making the final jump to the elite level of soccer.
It is this absolute elite of soccer that prepares itself for competition by facing top class opponents on a week to week basis - both on international and club level. Brazil, the current World Champion and number one ranked team in the world, must end in the top four of a qualifying group that features such soccer-forces as Argentina (3rd in the world), Uruguay (17th), Paraguay (23rd) and Colombia (28th).
By being forced to compete at the highest level for their countries, the elite-country players prepare themselves for the highest competition of club level. Brazil’s regular starting line-up is formed goalkeeper Dida (AC Milan, starter), defenders Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid, starter), Lucio (Bayern Munich, starter), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen, starter), Cafu (AC Milan, starter), midfielders Emerson (Juventus Turin, starter), Edmilson (FC Barcelona, starter), Kaka (AC Milan, starter), Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona, starter), and attackers Adriano (Inter Milan, starter) and Ronaldo (Real Madrid, starter).
On the other hand, only four players from the U.S. starting eleven play their club soccer in Europe – at mid-table teams such as Tottenham Hotspur (Kasey Keller, not a starter on his club), Fulham (Carlos Bocanegra, not a starter), Hannover 96 (Clint Mathis, not a starter), and PSV Eindhoven (DeMarcus Beasley, not a starter). Only back-up goalkeeper Tim Howard in on the books of one of Europe’s biggest clubs; Manchester United, where he lost his starting job this season because of a lack of consistency in his performances, and is currently seen as the third option by his coach, Sir Alex Ferguson. All other players on the U.S.-roster play their soccer in the woeful MLS. Even arguably the United States’ best player, Landon Donaovan, is playing his club soccer in the U.S. again after failing to crack the first team at German-side Bayer Leverkusen.
The United States (and Mexico) should ask FIFA permission to separate themselves from the weak CONCACAF after the World Cup of 2006, adding themselves to the far stronger South American (Conmebol) region. In accordance FIFA should grant two extra World Cup spots for 2010 to the Conmebol region – leaving the depleted CONCACAF with 1,5 available spots, while giving the reinforced Conmebol region six.
There is no certainty the U.S. would actually make the 2010 World Cup, but in the long run U.S.-soccer (and its players) would greatly benefit from the enhanced competition, preparing themselves for future success – on club and national level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2004, 00:17
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
If Kazakhstan can join UEFA, there's no reason why Mexico can't join CONMEBOL.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2004, 12:53
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteefNY
And so The U.S. Men’s National Soccer Team advanced to the final round of FIFA World Cup qualifying in the CONCACAF region with an authoritative 6-0 trouncing of Panama at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.
In order to move on to the final round of six, of which three teams will directly qualify for the 2006 World Cup, with the number four playing a head-to-head playoff with the number five of the Asian qualifying region, the U.S. (ranked 11th in the world) had to end in the top two spots in a group that further featured the yet mentioned Panama (103rd), Jamaica (51st) and El Salvador (106th).
In order to actually make its fourth consecutive World Cup-berth, the U.S. must now be among the top three in a final group that will feature CONCACAF-powerhouse and US-archrival Mexico (10th in the world), Costa Rica (32nd), Guatemala (61st), Trinidad and Tobago (64th), and yet again Panama. Yes, the same team the U.S. put a half dozen past just a week ago.
Barren any major disasters, one can assume the U.S. will be among the top three when the final whistle is blown. And while a constant flow of World Cup-appearances might look like a positive development in American soccer, it is the utter lack of competition in the qualifying rounds that is keeping the U.S. (and its players) from making the final jump to the elite level of soccer.
It is this absolute elite of soccer that prepares itself for competition by facing top class opponents on a week to week basis - both on international and club level. Brazil, the current World Champion and number one ranked team in the world, must end in the top four of a qualifying group that features such soccer-forces as Argentina (3rd in the world), Uruguay (17th), Paraguay (23rd) and Colombia (28th).
By being forced to compete at the highest level for their countries, the elite-country players prepare themselves for the highest competition of club level. Brazil’s regular starting line-up is formed goalkeeper Dida (AC Milan, starter), defenders Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid, starter), Lucio (Bayern Munich, starter), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen, starter), Cafu (AC Milan, starter), midfielders Emerson (Juventus Turin, starter), Edmilson (FC Barcelona, starter), Kaka (AC Milan, starter), Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona, starter), and attackers Adriano (Inter Milan, starter) and Ronaldo (Real Madrid, starter).
On the other hand, only four players from the U.S. starting eleven play their club soccer in Europe – at mid-table teams such as Tottenham Hotspur (Kasey Keller, not a starter on his club), Fulham (Carlos Bocanegra, not a starter), Hannover 96 (Clint Mathis, not a starter), and PSV Eindhoven (DeMarcus Beasley, not a starter). Only back-up goalkeeper Tim Howard in on the books of one of Europe’s biggest clubs; Manchester United, where he lost his starting job this season because of a lack of consistency in his performances, and is currently seen as the third option by his coach, Sir Alex Ferguson. All other players on the U.S.-roster play their soccer in the woeful MLS. Even arguably the United States’ best player, Landon Donaovan, is playing his club soccer in the U.S. again after failing to crack the first team at German-side Bayer Leverkusen.
The United States (and Mexico) should ask FIFA permission to separate themselves from the weak CONCACAF after the World Cup of 2006, adding themselves to the far stronger South American (Conmebol) region. In accordance FIFA should grant two extra World Cup spots for 2010 to the Conmebol region – leaving the depleted CONCACAF with 1,5 available spots, while giving the reinforced Conmebol region six.
There is no certainty the U.S. would actually make the 2010 World Cup, but in the long run U.S.-soccer (and its players) would greatly benefit from the enhanced competition, preparing themselves for future success – on club and national level.

fix your post....90% is false

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2004, 05:33
I Need More Cowbell!
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Knoxville
fix your post....90% is false
Care to explain how you came up with that ridiculous number?

Hurrah for Paquador!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2004, 13:01
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco
Care to explain how you came up with that ridiculous number?
I dunno , i was bad at math during my school days
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 22:27
Premier Player

If USA and Mexico leave CONCACAF, they will have a very tough time qualifying for the WC.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 02:01
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazón
If USA and Mexico leave CONCACAF, they will have a very tough time qualifying for the WC.
Righto, I think we are fine in CONCACAF. Our players are starting to get more recognition and more will be seen abroad very soon, methinks

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 16:44
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Let Mexico and the US join Conmebol .. Then Chile and Peru can Join Concacaf :dielaugh:

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 21:36
BANNED!
Star Player

Travel-wise, it wouldn't work for either of us to move to CONMEBOL. Nobody on either continent wants to fly 5,000 miles to play a single match.

As to whether or not they would make it should they be in CONMEBOL, I think both the USA and Mexico would make it, but if I were to tip one to make it over the other, it pains me to say Mexico. Their style is more suited to South American football. But the USA has done well against big South American competition in the past, so who knows?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2004, 19:56
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
If Venezuela Joins Concacaf...they might get to go to ALL the World Cups !!!!! :dielaugh: And they live close enough !!!!

Lets rally from them to move North !!!!!! :thmbup:

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2005, 21:43
Rising Star

I think the USA should like Mexico and play Copa América.

And the American teams should try to get at least two spots in Copa Libertadores.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2005, 23:48
International

I think the USA just doesn't want to travel that far, same goes for the Libertadores...

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2005, 23:53
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalEd
I think the USA just doesn't want to travel that far, same goes for the Libertadores...

Yeah. Regarding Copa América there is the additional problem that is played in July which is during the MLS season so MLS would either need to be suspended during this period or played without some of its stars.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2005, 02:10
International

MLS suspend for Copa America? Hahahahahahahaha. It won't even suspend play for the World Cup :rollani:

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2005, 19:30
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Though both Mexico and the USA would have a difficult time in CONMEBOL, perhaps that new level of competition is exactly what the two need to help them improve. It would also be helpful on the club level, considering that Mexican and especially American clubs would get to compete against South American teams more often.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2005, 22:31
Rookie

Teams: FC Bayern München
I would like to see the USA compete in Copa America every time i think it is necessary to play in a meaningful tournament in the gap between World Cups. After each World Cup the States dont play a meaninful game until qualifiers begin again. The CONCACAF tournament whatever its called is pointless.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:00
International

The Gold Cup isn't that pointless, it gives the Americans a chance to bring up some younger players and get them experience.

I do agree that the USA should compete in the Copa America every once in awhile.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2005, 13:41
Star Player

Teams: Romania
There's always the security issue...
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2005, 19:19
Star Player

Teams: Juventus, Shkëndija
I'd rather see MLS teams competing in copa libertadores so that the coaching staff can see how some youngsters measure up against Boca Juniors or whatever in a tougher tournament and not wait to test them in the NT, also it would make MLS and soccer a bit more popular and raise it to a higher level here in the U.S.

Having the Nts compete in conmebol would be nice, but it would be harder for them to qualify as well, and the U.S. for now needs to compete in World Cups, that's the only times the major media pays any attention, and soccer needs to be lifted a bit more before they can join conmebol.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2005, 21:18
I Need More Cowbell!
International

There's no way the mls would be allowed to join the Libertadores Cup.

First of all, there's the logistics issue and second the Mexican soccer fed coughed up a hefty amount to be allowed in the tournament, money that the mls does not have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in