Greek Clubs in Europe 2008/09 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 16:02 Thread Starter
International

Greek Clubs in Europe 2008/09

Panathinaikos have been drawn in the second round of the Champions League to face either Dynamo Tbilisi of Georgia or NSI of the Faroe Islands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2008, 16:39
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Panionios is currently playing OFK Belgrade in the second round of the Intertoto Cup. Djebbour, Koilaras, and Berthe are all out for this match, but they should still win. Its currently 0-0.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2008, 18:58
Premier Player

Panionios beat OFK 3-1 and won 3-2 on aggregate. They advance to play Napoli who will probably kick their ass as Nionios' defence and GKing sucks long and hard.

AEKara OMADARA!

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2008, 19:17
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
Decent win by Panionios, was a pretty close match though and a dodgy penalty decided it. Good luck in the third round though and good luck to all Greek teams in Europe this season!
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 20:10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiannisAEK View Post
Panionios beat OFK 3-1 and won 3-2 on aggregate. They advance to play Napoli who will probably kick their ass as Nionios' defence and GKing sucks long and hard.

BRING ON THE MAKARONATHES !!!!!!
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2008, 02:33
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: HELLAS, AEK, Srbija, Ukraine
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl...report=rp.html

Quote:
Panathinaikos power past Dinamo
Wednesday 30 July 2008

Henk ten Cate began his reign as coach in earnest as Panathinaikos FC eased to a 3-0 UEFA Champions League qualifying win against FC Dinamo Tbilisi in front of a sizeable crowd in Athens.

Ninis sets tone
Teenage prodigy Sotiris Ninis set the tone with barely 20 seconds played, forcing visiting goalkeeper Didier Ovono into a save with a fierce drive from distance. The Dinamo Tbilisi No1 was finally beaten with 23 minutes played when Andreas Ivanschitz tucked in a pass from Dimitris Salpingidis. Provider would turn scorer a minute before the break, before Salpingidis also completed the victory in the 74th minute with another neat finish to cap a decent night's work for Ten Cate's men.

Perfect timing

Austrian international Ivanschitz had already signalled his intent with a fifth-minute free-kick saved by Ovono before opening the scoring with his left foot. Having played a major role in that goal, Salpingidis drilled an effort against the crossbar on 40 minutes. The Greek international was not to be denied, though, and he was soon arriving near the penalty spot to convert Ivanschitz's cross from the left.

Wasted chances

The Georgian champions refused to buckle, and would perhaps still be in contention going into next week's second leg on home soil had substitute Ilija Spasojevic not passed up two straightforward opportunities to halve the deficit on 51 and 71 minutes. Instead, it was the Greens who would strike again as Salpingidis collected the ball from an Ovono save and promptly dispatched it beyond the keeper.

To pio omorfo pragma sto kosmo einai na agapas tin AEK!
Det Vackraste i den har varlden, ar att alska AEK!
Самая прекрасная вещь на свете, это любить АЕК!
La plus belle chose dans le monde est l'amour pour l'AEK!
La cosa piu' bella nel' mondo e' di amare l'AEK!
Dünya'da en güzel şey, AEK aşkı.
A legszebb dolog a világon az AEK iránti imádat.
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2008, 10:58
Rising Star

Teams: Panathinaikos, Barcelona, Celtic, Argentina NT
Good performance at the first half with most of the attacks coming from the wings, with Ivanschitz and Salpigidis doing pretty well. At the second half Ten Cate changed Mattos and played with one defensive midfielder which somewhat cost the control in the midfield and Dinamo made one or two chances for goal. Panathinaikos started the game using none of the new signings with Rukavina, Gabriel and Christodoulopoulos all coming on in the second half.
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2008, 11:45
Rising Star

So the draw is done and we have:

Panathinaikos – Sparta Prague
Olympiakos – Anorthosis

Panathinaikos will travel once again in Czech Republic to play against Sparta. Panathinaikos faced both Slavia and Sparta in their 2001/02 Champions League run when reached the quarter finals and won all 4 games against them. In 2002/03 Panathinaikos faced Slovan Liberec in the 3rd round of the UEFA Cup and also passed through in a another run till the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup this time.

Olympiakos will face Anorthosis in a rematch of the 1998/99 game of Champions League qualifiers. Olympiakos made it to the groups back then reaching the quarter finals.
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2008, 18:25
Forum Manager
Star Player

AEK have drawn Omonia.

Aris have drawn Slaven Koprivnica (?) of Croatia.

APOEL have drawn Red Star.

post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2008, 23:06
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saravakos-13 View Post
Olympiakos will face Anorthosis in a rematch of the 1998/99 game of Champions League qualifiers. Olympiakos made it to the groups back then reaching the quarter finals.
not so fast.
of course a 0-3 for rapid vienna seems somewhat a miracle to overcome against anorthosis on wednesday evening, i wouldn't write them off, yet.

just in case rapid really makes it, it would be cracking games against olympiakos since the rapid ultras have a close friendship with gate 13.
some pao guys even came to cyprus for the first leg i've been told by a friend who was at the away game last week.
here in vienna papers are digging up rapid's sensational comeback from 1985 when they managed to beat dynamo dresden 4-0 after losing the first leg in germany 0-3.
hope history repeats even though it most likely won't.

good luck pao for your european campaign.
post #11 of 109 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2008, 03:53
Rising Star

Wow mate I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bash Rapid or something. It just the fact that is very difficult for Rapid to qualify after such a bad result. I support Rapid anyway and I wish you guys all the luck.
post #12 of 109 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:53
International

no worries.
i'm not a fan of rapid or austrian football in general, just happen to have a lot of friends who support them so, of course, i'll cross my fingers for them.

is ivanschitz in the starting XI most of the time and how does he play?
during the euro he was quite dissapointing for the national team.
post #13 of 109 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:22
Rising Star

Yes Andreas was very disappointing during the EURO, but that was actually good for us because we bought him pretty cheap. Ivancshitz is a quality player and had a good season last year in Greece. Peseiro (our coach last year) was a huge fan of rotation so we didn’t really have a starting eleven lineup. The problem with Ivanschitz is that, although he is quality, he’s somewhat inconsistent in his performances, he could have a fantastic game in a match and be invisible in the next one.

I don’t know if Ten Cate is going to use him as a starter, (he used at the game against Dinamo though) I don’t even know if there are going to be any starters in the midfield for Panathinaikos this season. Ten Cate uses a 4-2-3-1 formation with Andreas playing in the -3- of that, where the competition is pretty tough with Karagounis, Ninis, Salpingidis Rukavina, Christodoulopoulos also competing for 3 places. The advantage for Ivanschitz is that he’s the only left footed one.

Last edited by Saravakos-13; August 3rd, 2008 at 11:28.
post #14 of 109 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2008, 22:36
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
PAO will beat Sparta in the 3rd round and im also sad to say.... Theyll win the league.

Ten Cate is a very very good coach.

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
post #15 of 109 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2008, 21:41
Premier Player

Anorthosis 3 - 0 Olympiakos

This just proves that, once again, despite all their money, despite all their paper championships, despite all their 'big name' South American signings, the Xartia just cant win a game without blatant referee favoritism.

In all honesty, a team filled with average mid table Greek league players, a team that would most likely finish between 7 and 10th in the league, managed to school our so called 'champion'. What is even more hilarious is that the game was not even close. Aside from Mitroglou's missed penalty OSFP has no real clear cut chance at scoring, while, on the other hand, every time AF pressured the Xartia's defense, it looked about to collapse. Dellas was massive at the back, as was Beqaj, while in attack Sosin was fantastic (he made the cross that led to Stoltidis' own goal after deeking out Leonardo, and he headed in the second).

I am truly glad for Famagusta as they now have a great chance at becoming the first Cypriot team in the CL Group stage.

AEKara OMADARA!
post #16 of 109 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2008, 21:46
Premier Player

PAO also just beat Sparta 2-1 in Prague. Watched a little bit of the second half but got board (the game sucked) and decided to write the above.

AEKara OMADARA!
post #17 of 109 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2008, 23:37
Rising Star

Teams: Euro 2004 champs and AEK Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiannisAEK View Post
Anorthosis 3 - 0 Olympiakos

This just proves that, once again, despite all their money, despite all their paper championships, despite all their 'big name' South American signings, the Xartia just cant win a game without blatant referee favoritism.

In all honesty, a team filled with average mid table Greek league players, a team that would most likely finish between 7 and 10th in the league, managed to school our so called 'champion'. What is even more hilarious is that the game was not even close. Aside from Mitroglou's missed penalty OSFP has no real clear cut chance at scoring, while, on the other hand, every time AF pressured the Xartia's defense, it looked about to collapse. Dellas was massive at the back, as was Beqaj, while in attack Sosin was fantastic (he made the cross that led to Stoltidis' own goal after deeking out Leonardo, and he headed in the second).

I am truly glad for Famagusta as they now have a great chance at becoming the first Cypriot team in the CL Group stage.
I normally support Greek teams in Europe but this is one of those rare ocassions where I was delighted that Olympiakos got killed by a small team, coached by a former AEK player, after the way they won the Greek championship in court and screwed over AEK who won the championship on the field.

The Court Champions cant win a game without having the referees and league officials in their hip pockets. If Anorthosis was a team playing in the Greek League, Anorthosis would have definitely not won this game especially with a 3-0 score

All 3 goals by Anorthosis against Olympiakos including the missed penalty by Olympiakos

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatc...ID=15744&Ln=En

All 3 goals by Anorthosis against Olympiakos including the missed penalty by Olympiakos

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatc...ID=15744&Ln=En

[SIZE="1"]AEK 2007/2008=REAL Champions win on the field, not in the courts. Euro 2004 champs. Eurobasket 2005 and 1987 champs. FIBA WC 2006 Silver Medal. FIBA WC U19 Gold Medal 1995. Non-qualification equals no progressAlexander

Last edited by plato-ny; August 13th, 2008 at 23:52.
post #18 of 109 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2008, 00:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Eskişehirspor, Türkiye
Anorthosis has been getting better year after year I've noticed. I saw Dellas joined them too. Wasn't Timur Ketsbaia? a player/slash coach a few years back. I think I remember him against Trabzon playing one half coaching the other half, decent player too.

1954-2006

Eskişehir'de Doğdum ESKİŞEHİRSPOR'LUYUM
post #19 of 109 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2008, 02:42
Forum Manager
Star Player

Ketsbaia is still coach.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anorthosis have been knocking on the CL door for a number of years now and its nice to see they will get their chance at the expense of the court 'champions'.

post #20 of 109 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2008, 11:54 Thread Starter
International

Unless Anorthosis collapse in the return game, it will be the best performance ever for a Cyptiot team. They might not do well in the group stages, but financially it will be a gold mine for Anorthosis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in