View Poll Results: Otto to stay?
Stay 15 83.33%
Go 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 03:43 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Do you want Rehhagel to stay?

Well, the Greek FA have offered him a new contract extension which will see him being in charge of the national team till the World Cup in 2010 (if we qualify). So far Rehhagel himself has not shown any indications about whether he'll stay or go.

But what do you want?

Arguments for him to stay are:

- He is obviously very, very successful. No questions about that.

- He's learned from the mistakes he made in the WC06 qualifiers and he stopped being so goddamn stubborn. The team was gradually injected with new blood which actually started to play. Nowadays it is a healthy mix of veterans and younger players.

- A more balanced player selection has resulted in better football. The pathetic, frustrating long ball we started after the Euro has stopped and has been replaced by proper football.

- The players want him to stay.

- Having a new coach after the Euro could result in a shaky start at the WC10 qualifiers. Unless we have easy games to start, this could be very problematic. Rehhagel provides stability which is very important.

- He's funny.

Arguments for him to go are:

- Has he really learned his lesson about being fair? He still makes some baffling player selections and he's still very reluctant to introduce new players. And he still insists on not calling players who clearly deserve to be there (Stoltidis).

- The line up for the match against Hungary was "vintage Rehhagel 2004-2006". Players out of position, clueless formation etc. But it was a really important game as a position in pot 1 for WC10 was at stake and he almost ****ed us over. We were very lucky to win. All is well when everyone is fit, but what happens if some players are missing? Do we get to see experiments with central defenders as left backs and defensive midfielders on the wing?

- He still seems to have no knowledge of the league or players from teams outside of Panathinaikos, AEK and Olympiakos. He refuses to acknowledge players who would be valuable like Avraam Papadopoulos.

- He's really, really old and he doesn't look entirely sane. At some point age will catch up with him and having a senile wreck as national team coach is not ideal.

So, do you want Rehhagel to stay after the Euro?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 03:55
Premier Player

Teams: PAO, Celtic, Greek NT, Lions, Pistons, Wings
Right now I would say 'yes' to him staying until the World Cup.

1. Hes shown that he can get the team to concentrate on winning against minnows. Historically Greek teams fall victim to overconfidence and lose points to teams they should beat. Rehhagel has shown that he can keep the team focused on the task at hand and prevent them from becoming complacent - this is crucial in our WC qual group.

2. The turnaround. Despite that massive loss in Greece to the Turks he kept everything in perspective for the players. It was one bad game... now bounce back and take the group.

3. The players respond to him. Despite all the adversity of failing to make the WC and losing to Turkey there have been no major locker room brawls and no acting out. The players respect him and are willing to play their asses off for him.

4. Would the replacement do a better job? I highly doubt it. He has inserted a sense of discipline and unity that had never existed in Greek national team football before.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 03:57
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
I say stay still the World Cup. We have an incredibly easy group and I would rather not risk our chances of missing out on the tournament (as a result of instability and the subsequent loss of crucial points brought about by a new coach).

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 15:22
Premier Player

Wow I was just about to open the exact same topic.

Goonis pretty much said exactly what I wanted to say. And I really think now that Otto has seen our group, he knows he can take us to the WC and we can qualify. If it was a harder group, maybe he would leave on a high after 08' and say his job with us is complete. But he knows he can do what he couldn't in 06', and thats take us to the WC on an international stage.

Just his dicipline and success against smaller teams alone will give us a huge chance to qualify. As was said before, he wins the games he is suppose to win, a huge problem in our NT before. He has dicipline and the loyalty of the players, and sure he has his faults, but in the end we are better for it.

Look at his record of qualifying (04', 06', 08' + the finals in Portugal):

Matches: 38

Wins: 26

Draw: 5

Loss: 7

GF: 55

GA: 27

I mean the facts speak for themselves... there is not much else to say. If we can get him to stay, we must 100%.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 15:31 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

I'm in two minds about it. I would like him to stay, as long as he continues being open-minded with regards to players call-ups. After Euro 2008, no matter how good or bad we play, it will be time for several players of the team (Nikopolidis, Kapsis, Dellas, Giannakopoulos) to go and necessary to bring more players in. I suspect that after the WC06 disaster the players will do the honorable thing themselves, but as we saw with Zagorakis sometimes even the willingness to retire is not enough.

If Rehhagel makes the necessary adjustments and continues to be reasonable, I'll be happy for him to stay. However, if he decides to repeat the mistakes he did after Euro2004, we'll be better off if he goes. Having an easy group might allow us to survive the hangover.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 15:52
International

Why shoot yourself in the foot, without wishing to state the obvious , Greece has never know such a period of success, so let King Otto reign till 2010.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 16:30
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
Dont break something that aint broken... as the saying goes.

Rehhagel has been the most succesful coach for greece ever,he has qualified greece for 2/3 tournaments and well nothing is seriously wrong really.

I mean the question is..get rid of him and who comes in ?

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 17:32
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: HELLAS, AEK, Srbija, Ukraine
Good points all.

La_Fadabeilo, there was Dusan Bajevic who now coaches Aris who would have been a good replacement. Other than that, offhand I know of no one who could know our football and come in without a hiccup in this side. And we've been to so few precious tournaments, with a WCQ group like ours, being the easiest and all, it would be a shame to go through a growing period with a new coach and no guarantee of at least past success with this nation behind him in seeing through his teething period.

So, I vote YES, I hope he does stay. His upsides for the last 6 (almost 7) years have far outweighed his downsides, which Amoroso outlines very well.

He might be a mystery sometimes, and his callups are weird, and those who he ignores completely even stranger, but with him I believe we will have a good showing at the Euros and qualify for another World Cup.

I hope our easier group for the WC will make him make a positive decision and stay. He just gets the job done. He gets results and gets 110% out of the players he chooses (usually).

To pio omorfo pragma sto kosmo einai na agapas tin AEK!
Det Vackraste i den har varlden, ar att alska AEK!
Самая прекрасная вещь на свете, это любить АЕК!
La plus belle chose dans le monde est l'amour pour l'AEK!
La cosa piu' bella nel' mondo e' di amare l'AEK!
Dünya'da en güzel şey, AEK aşkı.
A legszebb dolog a világon az AEK iránti imádat.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2007, 00:03
Star Player

Teams: Panathinaikos Parma Man.Utd.
I voted,yes and i believe that he will stay now that the WC draw looks easy for us.
All of you covered the whole subject very well so there is nothing more to add.p
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2007, 00:47
Rising Star

On a more serious not, does anyone else think he wears a hair-piece?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2007, 22:22
Rising Star

Teams: Euro 2004 champs and AEK Athens
Otto Rehhagel's work with the Greek national team has not gone un-noticed. More and more countries are lining up for the German's coaching services and hoping to secure some expert reigns for their national team.

Next to come out of the woodwork is Austria.

According to the country's official web site (krone.at) Austria are very interested in Otto Rehhagel and what he can do for the country's soccer team.

The report states that Austria would like to have Rehhagel sitting at their sidelines by the end of Euro 2008 a perfect replacement for current coach Josef Hickersberger.

The web site goes to the extend to report that Otto Rehhagel's wife Beate considers Vienna as one of the most beautiful cities in the whole of Europe, and that Qatar is also interested in the experienced coach as well.

[SIZE="1"]AEK 2007/2008=REAL Champions win on the field, not in the courts. Euro 2004 champs. Eurobasket 2005 and 1987 champs. FIBA WC 2006 Silver Medal. FIBA WC U19 Gold Medal 1995. Non-qualification equals no progressAlexander
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 23:35
Rising Star

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Euro2008/Greece/183211.html

[SIZE="1"]AEK 2007/2008=REAL Champions win on the field, not in the courts. Euro 2004 champs. Eurobasket 2005 and 1987 champs. FIBA WC 2006 Silver Medal. FIBA WC U19 Gold Medal 1995. Non-qualification equals no progressAlexander
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2008, 01:37
Azerbaijani Eagle
Legend

Teams: Neftchi Baku
He was great but I'll say Greece lacks new direction...

The bullet changes things in the brain, even if hit in the ass. © Al Capone
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2008, 02:18
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreminal View Post
He was great but I'll say Greece lacks new direction...
Could u please clarify?

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2008, 17:10
Azerbaijani Eagle
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato-ny View Post
Could u please clarify?
I mean that new manager will bring new type of strategy to Hellas National Team.

Let's face it, Greece is good team but you want your NT to be stronger than sides like Portugal, Germany, Czechs and etc. Rehhagel is done his best which means that you can't progress to new level with him.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2008, 12:14
Star Player

Teams: Panathinaikos Parma Man.Utd.
We can't be any better than we are currently imo.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2008, 14:50
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreminal View Post
I mean that new manager will bring new type of strategy to Hellas National Team.

Let's face it, Greece is good team but you want your NT to be stronger than sides like Portugal, Germany, Czechs and etc. Rehhagel is done his best which means that you can't progress to new level with him.
I think you dont follow the Greek team based on your post.

Regarding the FIFA rankings, they indicate progress, and Greece has gone from 35 to 14, after Euro 2004, to 12 in 2005, Greece's highest ever at that point. When Greece did not qualify for WC 2006 and lost at home to Turkey during Euro 2008 qualification, some felt that Rehhagel has done all he could for Greece.

Since that Turkey match, Greece went on a roll and reached first place by seven points clear, better than Greece's first place showing in Euro 2004 qualifcation. Greece beat Portugal in a friendly in Germany last month and Greece is now 8th in the FIFA rankings, their highest ever, ahead of Portugal, England, Croatia, and a few steps behind Germany, the Czechs, and France. Greece also improved offensively compared to Euro 2004 qualification as Greece has better scoring ability now.

So, Greece, under Rehhagel, during this period, has improved compared to the Euro 2004 qualification under Rehhagel in offensive production, first place showing by a bigger margin, and achieving a higher FIFA ranking than 2005, which is their highest ever. Rehhagel will be coaching until 2010 and Greece are in prime form right now so dont think Rehhagel has done all he could. He will be further judged in Euro 2008, WC 2010 qualification and, assuming Greece qualifes, WC 2010.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2008, 02:29
Azerbaijani Eagle
Legend

plato-ny, I don't want to debate with you. But let see how Greece will perform in Euro 2008

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in