The road to Euro 2008: Official Topic - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 837 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2006, 22:34 Thread Starter
Premier Player

The road to Euro 2008: Official Topic

With all the crazy things going on with the Mundobasket, I almost forgot we have our first game tomorrow!

We play Moldova in our first game tomorrow in Moldova.

The team has been struggling as of late, but if we seriously want to qualify from this group, the boys will go out there and get 3 points. Sometimes you need wins to get your confidence back. No matter who is on the field.... lets take it to them and walk away with 3 points. Believe it or not this is a big game....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 837 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2006, 23:49
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
ATM I have no faith in Rehagle’s coaching decisions, and find it really hard to actually give a crap about the NT..

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #3 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 01:09
Xtratime Legend

We won't win tomorrow. Mark my words. We'll loose or draw playing horrible, pointless football and that will be the case as long as Rehhagel coaches the team. Dropping Samaras from the team was the final straw.

Do you guys know what his excuse was? He hasn't had many good games for his club lately. Manchester City has played TWO league games and Samaras has not even played much! And when was the last time ****ing Charisteas had a good game for his club?

post #4 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:10 Thread Starter
Premier Player

We will take 3 pts tomorrow.
post #5 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 20:11 Thread Starter
Premier Player

I take it back. Not with this team. I have no words for what I am seeing. No words. This is beyong ****ing fustrating. This team is horrible, and yet Otto continues to use it. How Charisteas plays professional football I will never know. He has forgotton how to play.

We missed a penalty but it doesn't even matter.... this is ****ing embarrassing.
post #6 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 20:53
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Lymbe scores! Whoever questioned his selection can go suck on it. The guy is clutch.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #7 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 21:14 Thread Starter
Premier Player

I just hope Otto sees what a difference it makes once Charistea and Zagoraki came off. The 2nd half was much better. A couple more changes and he is on to something....

There are 3-4 players who should not even be on the squad anymore. If Otto makes these changes (he has to see what happened in this game) then we are on a better track.

Samaras in for Charisteas and it's a huge improvement right there. Lymbe is a great sub.
post #8 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 21:15
Star Player

Lybe bailed us out, 0-1 Greece FT.
post #9 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 21:30
Rising Star

Awful performance as expected...

I agree with all of you, we cant have high expectations with Rahagel as coach, many players shouldnt start (Karagounis) while some others shouldnt be called at all...and its not only his calls the reason he should go..even with these players we could have played better.

Anyway, at least we won..it is possible for some other teams from the group to drop points there...

Pali kala pou uparxei kai to basket!!
post #10 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 22:35
Star Player

Teams: Barcelona, Arsenal, Dinamo
It will be a hit after wining in Lisbon against the home team, beeing totaly humiliated by Albania in WC 2006 Qual's, starting off modestly vs. Moldova and wining the trophy in Viena in 2008 ( heh sincerly i dont beelive this will happen in the next 2 generations but who knows )
post #11 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 22:46
Lazing in a hammock
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal
u were lucky, as always... another goal from the corner... anyway moldova 4-ever

"Anyone else notice how skinny Gallas' lower legs are? I think he's part deer. A type of Centaur-half, if you will. I'll get my coat."
(c) random sp*rs fan
post #12 of 837 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 22:59
International

Teams: Albania, Red Bulls NY,
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren
It will be a hit after wining in Lisbon against the home team, beeing totaly humiliated by Albania in WC 2006 Qual's, starting off modestly vs. Moldova and wining the trophy in Viena in 2008 ( heh sincerly i dont beelive this will happen in the next 2 generations but who knows )
why humiliated...Greece lost 2-1. One goal isnt' humiliation.

DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI

ILLYRICUM TOTO SUPERUS

RROFT SHQIPERIA
post #13 of 837 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:39 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoldo
u were lucky, as always... another goal from the corner... anyway moldova 4-ever

Come now we could have had 4-5 goals easy in the game (mostly 2nd half) if we had better finishing and I think Moldova only had 1 shot of any notice so I wouldn't exactly call it lucky....

Last edited by Christos7; September 3rd, 2006 at 02:45.
post #14 of 837 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:08
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: HELLAS, AEK, Srbija, Ukraine
Chris, Lybe as a sub????

Lybe should be starting right behind Samaras/Salpigidis. He's a STUD and the only guy with HEART. And he is franking CLUTCH

Well I'm trying to be positive so here goes.....

This win is the best qualifying start we've had since 2002.

So there.

Herr Otto better franking change his tactics and leave out Charisteas, Zagorakis, and other dead weight.

To pio omorfo pragma sto kosmo einai na agapas tin AEK!
Det Vackraste i den har varlden, ar att alska AEK!
Самая прекрасная вещь на свете, это любить АЕК!
La plus belle chose dans le monde est l'amour pour l'AEK!
La cosa piu' bella nel' mondo e' di amare l'AEK!
Dünya'da en güzel şey, AEK aşkı.
A legszebb dolog a világon az AEK iránti imádat.
post #15 of 837 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:15
Xtratime Legend

It took Rehhagel 45' minutes to understand that:

1) Zagorakis is not, and never was, an attacking midfielder.
2) Karagounis is not a forward.
3) Charisteas is COMPLETELY out of form.

Is there something that any one of us could not have told him before the game even started?

I mean, call me crazy but I'm quite sure he picks his team based on seniority rather than form or football ability.

Zagorakis and Fyssas have no place in the national team anymore. Basinas, Karagounis, Charisteas and Dellas have no place in the starting line up unless they hit some kind of decent form.

Calling up new players doesn't make much sense if we're not using them. Rehhagel needs to rebuild, instead he is just taking the piss.

Why not play some players who are on form for a change. Tavlaridis is consistent among the top defenders of the French league, Lagos is hot, Salpiggidis is on his usual excellent form, Samaras is a sizzling talent and Lyberopoulos bails us out whenever he plays.
post #16 of 837 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 03:30
Rising Star

How do you guys honestly think that the Group C qulification will pan out just like make you own table with the final standings . im just intrested to see how the greeks view there chances and how the belive there oppontns will finsih
post #17 of 837 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 04:46
Star Player

Greece and Turkey will Qualify.
post #18 of 837 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 06:58
Xtratime Legend

I don't know who will qualify, but I know that Greece will not bar some amazing stroke of luck. Failing that, a proper stroke of Rehhagel might do the job.
post #19 of 837 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 13:37
Rising Star

Teams: Olympiakos & Ellas.
The topic should be retitled the Road to No where because that is where we are going.

10th March 1925
post #20 of 837 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 16:52 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Personally I don't see it as bad as you guys.

I don't like Otto's picks (some of them), however I honestly think he will wise up with a few of them (Chari, Zagorakis) and it will instantly make us better for it. I do agree the team is on poor form, however I feel the qualification will be similar to last year, probably coming down to 1-2 games that you either make it or you don't. Like Ukraine in Athens, or Denmark in Copenhagen. If we had beaten Ukraine in Athens, we would have most likely been participating in WC 06. And it could have easily happened. 1 inch offside from Giannakopoulos and that goal stands. Any of our dozen chances to go in instead of constantly going out, and we have 3 pts and the whole group is different. It's the same with this group. Nobody in this group is hands down better than we are. Everybody will make mistakes and it will most likely go down to the last matchday. Whoever siezes the moment when their time comes will qualify, and that can be any team. Infact I feel we have a great shot to qualify in this group.

I believe Norway will finish first. And I believe 2nd will be a battle between Greece and Turkey. I think Norway will finish first because they are probably the most consistent of the big 3, with that said, it could easily be us or Turkey also... Infact I think our chances of being in the top 2 are very good.

What this group is going to boil down to is taking points when you are suppose to. Moldova and Malta must be 12 pts. Anybody who drops points in these games are going to be playing catch up. Realistically, Bosnia and Hungary should also be 12 pts, if you look at the results thus far. Definately in Athens we have to take 3 pts from each team, and I can see us battle out two 1-0 wins away from home. I believe all of the above is possible. Will it turn out that way? Most likely not. We could very well drop points in either Hungary or Bosnia, but we need at least to get a draw. Norway and Turkey ideally should be 6 points at home, there is no excuse. We can beat both in Athens. Away, if we set up shop and defend we can earn draws, just like we did in Istanbul and Ukraine last year.

Again, it all boils down getting points when you are suppose to. If we take care of business when we should, like our last game against Moldova, and leave with 3 pts it's all that matters. We controlled the game, we had our chances, and we finally scored a goal in the end and left with 3 pts. Moldova IS NOT a bad team at home. I believe one of the other teams could very well drop points here... Look at their home record in 06:

MDA:ITA 0:1
MDA:SVN 1:2
MDA:BLR 2:0
MDA:NOR 0:0 ***
MDA:SCO 1:1

Getting 3 pts in this game while it seems small IMO was not. We got the job done. This is what we must do. Each game presented to us go get the job done, leave with 3 pts and if we do this we will be in the top 2 when all is said and done. We MUST be there in 08 to defend out title (not that we are going to win it :rollani: ) because from this group, being champions in 04, it will be the ultimate embarressment. And I think we are better than that...

Last edited by Christos7; September 7th, 2006 at 16:59.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in