Official Basketball World Championship Topic - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 01:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Official Basketball World Championship Topic

We had a general basketball topic but I think this deserves its own thread.

I must admit that I haven't been as excited about a basketball tournament for a long time, but I'm feeling quite positive at the moment about our team and I think we can do well and build on our European Championship title of last year. Our defence is amazing, and Giannakis has worked a lot in the attack which remains our weak spot with these rather annoying lapses of scoring. We still don't have a natural scorer but we have a mean bench and a 12-man debth so if one isn't on his best day someone else will be. Hopefully we won't underachieve.

We were drawn on the hardish 3rd group which includes Brazil, Lithuania, Australia, Turkey and Qatar. Nothing needs to be said about Lithuania which even without Jasikevicius probably remain the best European team. Australia has Andrew Bogut, the guy who was number 1 pick in last year's draft, but not much else. I don't know how Turkey is at the moment but I can't remember the last time we lost from them. Brazil are a bit of an unknown quantity but they do have a couple of NBAers in their ranks which could mean either a lots of things or absolutely nothing. Qatar is the weakest team of the tournament. Basically, if we turn up I think we are strong favorites for the 2nd spot behind Lithuania but we should give them a game for the 1st spot which will put us in the pleasant situation of not having to face the Americans till the final (if either goes there) provided they get top spot in their group.

We are starting with a game against Qatar tomorrow morning. But who the hell are Qatar? Well, Qatar are basically the weakest team of the tournament. They recruited an obscure American coach named Joseph Stibing and they gave passports to some African players, and this brought them the 3rd place (behind Japan and China) in the last Asian Championship. They don't have any player who stands out particularly but we should be expecting a sort of African team playing American basketball - energetic defence, lots of jumping and fast breaks when possible. To be honest, they really shouldn't be a problem. Unlike football, small nations in basketball usually serve as a punching bug rather than having a realistic chance of doing damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 02:48
Premier Player

Besides Luthuania I think we should do very well. The team has been amazing IMO. Brazil, Turkey and Australia are good teams but not great, if we play our kind of basketball we should win. I am also very excited about the tournament, I think we have a real shot of winning.
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 08:02 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Winning is asking a bit much considering USA and Argentina. But apart from these two, if we turn up we are as good as any of the other teams with the possible exception of Lithuania...

A top-4 position would make me happy.

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 08:57
Rising Star

Right now Qatar is beating us 12-28
Its not like Qatar are doing sth great its all our fault...we are playing REALLY bad
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 09:19
Rising Star

they woke up..making a 26-3 run

38-31 halftime
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 09:35
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Watching the match here, excellent comeback!

You'll definitely hold on and win this one...unless Qatar have different ideas.

By the way, yiati den exei paiktes Olymbiakos stin ethniki omada?

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 14:03 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

They have 1, Schortsianitis. From then on they don't have any particularly good Greek players...

About the game, we played awful and the Qataris were making almost every shot at the beggining. When we got serious we cruised through. Our defence was majestic once more but attack is a whole other issue... the systems are there but our players just can't make free shots.

Dikoudis and Spanoulis were the best.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 17:28
Premier Player

Sometimes watching our offense is very painful.... but WHEN we click, I think we can beat teams like the USA and Argentina, but we have to have the perfect game in a sense....
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 05:01
Rising Star

Teams: Euro 2004 champs and AEK Athens

Τα δεκάλεπτα: 7-18, 38-31, 56-45, 84-64

Ελλάδα: Ντικούδης 26 (1), Σπανούλης 17 (2), Διαμαντίδης 4, Ζήσης 2, Φώτσης 16 (2), Παπαλουκάς 8, Τσαρτσαρής 6, Κακιούζης 5 (1)

Κατάρ: Τουρκί 17 (5), Σαΐντ 13 (1), Σαλέεμ 10, Αμπντουλραχμάν 9 (2), Αχμάντ 7, Μόσα 4, Αμπντί 2, Αμγκαντέρ 2

Greece-Qatar
22/39 (56%) 2-POINTERS 17/27 (63%)
6/21 (29%) 3-POINTERS 8/18 (44%)
22/24 (92%) FREE THROWS 6/13 (46%)
17 FOULS 24
14 STEALS 4
17 TURNOVERS 35
11 OFF. REBOUNDS 9
13 DEF. REBOUNDS 21
22 BIGGEST LEAD 16
13 BIGGEST RUN 7

Two brief video clips:

http://www.sport.gr/basket/mb06/060819/mb06helqat3.asp

[SIZE="1"]AEK 2007/2008=REAL Champions win on the field, not in the courts. Euro 2004 champs. Eurobasket 2005 and 1987 champs. FIBA WC 2006 Silver Medal. FIBA WC U19 Gold Medal 1995. Non-qualification equals no progressAlexander

Last edited by plato-ny; August 20th, 2006 at 05:29.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 11:57 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

It would be nice if we kept this topic free of pictures and long-winded articles. I mean, we can all find these things in the various sports sites but our opinions are far better...
post #11 of 111 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 12:31 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

It's half-time and we are down by 7 points against Lithuania. We are simply pathetic... We can't even score free-throws. And noone seems to have the balls to step up and score a bit...
post #12 of 111 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 13:52 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Well, we beat the Lithuanians 81-76 after extra-time. We didn't play well in attack and our defence was sometimes daydreaming but in the end we muscled them out. Could have been much easier with better choices in attack and a better percentage at free-throws (we had 20/41!). Spanoulis was VERY good once again and the most calm from the free-throw line.

I have to say that when we manage to win when we play that bad, we can be rather optimistic.

On paper, Lithuania was our hardest opponent in the group but they've lost to Turkey yesterday who also beat Australia, so apparently the Turks are our main competitors for the top spot.

Basically, if we improve a bit and play as we can, we will win top spot in the group.
post #13 of 111 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2006, 03:07
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
Well, we beat the Lithuanians 81-76 after extra-time. We didn't play well in attack and our defence was sometimes daydreaming but in the end we muscled them out. Could have been much easier with better choices in attack and a better percentage at free-throws (we had 20/41!). Spanoulis was VERY good once again and the most calm from the free-throw line.

I have to say that when we manage to win when we play that bad, we can be rather optimistic.

On paper, Lithuania was our hardest opponent in the group but they've lost to Turkey yesterday who also beat Australia, so apparently the Turks are our main competitors for the top spot.

Basically, if we improve a bit and play as we can, we will win top spot in the group.
Greece also got out-rebounded 46-29 and still won.

EDIT: Plato - Lets keep this topic free from alot of pictures and articles. Those can be found anywhere. Lets just have our own opinions and comments here.

Thanks

[SIZE="1"]AEK 2007/2008=REAL Champions win on the field, not in the courts. Euro 2004 champs. Eurobasket 2005 and 1987 champs. FIBA WC 2006 Silver Medal. FIBA WC U19 Gold Medal 1995. Non-qualification equals no progressAlexander

Last edited by Christos7; August 21st, 2006 at 04:59.
post #14 of 111 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2006, 05:01
Premier Player

I couldn't watch the game live today, but I have it recorded so I will give my thoughts after I watch it.
post #15 of 111 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2006, 05:02
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: HELLAS, AEK, Srbija, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
This is the mark of a great side, to win even when you don't play up to snuff.

I'd be happy with a semi-final berth.

To pio omorfo pragma sto kosmo einai na agapas tin AEK!
Det Vackraste i den har varlden, ar att alska AEK!
Самая прекрасная вещь на свете, это любить АЕК!
La plus belle chose dans le monde est l'amour pour l'AEK!
La cosa piu' bella nel' mondo e' di amare l'AEK!
Dünya'da en güzel şey, AEK aşkı.
A legszebb dolog a világon az AEK iránti imádat.
post #16 of 111 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2006, 00:59
Rising Star

Icarus, the way this team is, a semi-final birth is not good enough. Winning, at least, a bronze medal is, however.

Anyway, the Australian coach, Mackinnon, thinks Greece is arrogant. He said so based on, what he feels, is the way they walk around the hotel and the way they are. He also said they've been around for a while at the hotel and don't really say anything to you and just look at you. Finally, he said that Australia knows what Greece thinks of them, meaning a low opinion.

I hope Greece blows away Australia so that Mackinnon can shut the hell up. What a paranoid guy he is making up such BS based on envy. Yiannakis should put his comments in Greece's locker room.

post #17 of 111 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:05
Premier Player

Sometimes the Aussies are very annoying.

Last edited by Christos7; August 22nd, 2006 at 02:24.
post #18 of 111 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:13
Premier Player

Teams: PAO, Celtic, Greek NT, Lions, Pistons, Wings
Greek athletes? Arrogant?

Never....

post #19 of 111 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:58
Rising Star

I predict an easy win for us, IMO Australia is the weakest team of the group, Quatar excluded. Lets say a 22 points win...

Last edited by kingl; August 22nd, 2006 at 09:19.
post #20 of 111 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:26
Rising Star

Half time...39-34 for Greece
We made a bad start as we usually do, had a better 2nd quarter...
Diamantidis is our best player so far with 3 threes, 5 rbs and 13 points. Spanoulis is awfull today...
Our free-throws stats are much better today

The Aussies are playing with a lot of toughness and have very good shooters.

I still think we are going to win easily at the end

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in