OFI Crete - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 185 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2006, 17:18 Thread Starter
Premier Player

OFI Crete

I heard there are problems there, apparently the club is co-owned by the same man who owns Panathinaikos, and there has been match fixing going on, and even OFI's best players always leaving for Panathinaikos.

What are the Greek Federation / Uefa / Fifa doing about it, I thought is was illegal for clubs to have the same owner? I hear this man is very powerful in Greece, and the Greek authorities can't do anything about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2006, 04:16
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: HELLAS, AEK, Srbija, Ukraine
I don't think if Yiannis Vardinoyiannis (PAO owner) owns OFI, I don't believe so. I don't know who owns OFI but in the past I believe Theodoros Vardinoyianni did (their stadium is named after him). Since they are a family it's possible another one does.

Quote:
The Vardinoyannis Family

A very well known name in Greek business circles is that of the Vardinoyannis family. Unlike the other more or less patriarchal dynasties, the Vardinoyannis clan operates as a tight-knit group of relatives controlling numerous successful companies in a variety of sectors. The most important is the Avin International group, active in the area of oil transport, possessing a fleet of tankers and offices in locations across the globe.

The family also owns Motor Oil, an oil refinery in the Athens area which is the second largest in the Balkans and has an international clientele for its finished products. Other companies include the Star TV station and Village Cinemas.

The Vardinoyannis family is very well known for its donations to charities, and has very close relations with other rich and important families in the USA and the Arabic world. Its business philosophy is characterized by a tendency to tread cautiously and to promote the interests of the companies, without bowing to ephemeral passing trends and opportunistic temptations.
In Greece OFI are considered a 'farm club' for PAO. Selling players to PAO cheaply, taking in loans from PAO, 'helping' them out when they can.

http://www.stadia.gr/ofi/ofi.html

To pio omorfo pragma sto kosmo einai na agapas tin AEK!
Det Vackraste i den har varlden, ar att alska AEK!
Самая прекрасная вещь на свете, это любить АЕК!
La plus belle chose dans le monde est l'amour pour l'AEK!
La cosa piu' bella nel' mondo e' di amare l'AEK!
Dünya'da en güzel şey, AEK aşkı.
A legszebb dolog a világon az AEK iránti imádat.
post #3 of 185 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2006, 04:18
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: HELLAS, AEK, Srbija, Ukraine
http://www.greeksoccer.com/teams/ofi.htm

Quote:
Over time OFI became under the influence of the Vardinoyiannis family, the wealthy Greek shipping dynasty who also own Athens aristocrats Panathinaikos (PAO). The relationship between the two clubs has been heavily criticised by many observers in Greece, while the practice of acquiring feeder clubs has now become standard among the European elite as they look to secure access to young talent for less money.

To pio omorfo pragma sto kosmo einai na agapas tin AEK!
Det Vackraste i den har varlden, ar att alska AEK!
Самая прекрасная вещь на свете, это любить АЕК!
La plus belle chose dans le monde est l'amour pour l'AEK!
La cosa piu' bella nel' mondo e' di amare l'AEK!
Dünya'da en güzel şey, AEK aşkı.
A legszebb dolog a világon az AEK iránti imádat.

post #4 of 185 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:14
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET87
What are the Greek Federation / Uefa / Fifa doing about it, I thought is was illegal for clubs to have the same owner? I hear this man is very powerful in Greece, and the Greek authorities can't do anything about it?
That's why this regime still remains. If you ask a common fun of OFI he will tell you that he don't accept the relationship of the both teams but the authorities in greece are indifferent to us all these 25 years under the influence of vardinogiannis. Anyway thanks for your interesting for the team of my island and i hope some peaple in Europe to show more interest for this problem that hagride the fans of OFI all these years.

FREE OFI

Last edited by cretan; October 22nd, 2006 at 12:19.
post #5 of 185 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:15
Rising Star

I found some articles about the relashionship. Sorry if the traslation is not good.

The Bardinogianni family and the OFI seized the Cretan team in 1979 in the start of professional season in Greece. This movement was a pointedly effort is set up a feed team for their main interest, the giant of Athens, the Panathinaikos. The family [Bardinogianni], as a lot of Greek millionaires, made their fortune from the naval industry. The relation of parent of - child of two teams that plays in the same category was blamed intensely by the dues of decade the 70 but nothing did not become substantially in order to is searched her legality. On the contrary the Panathinaikos and the competitor Olympic made similar relations and with other teams first and second category. Giorgos [Bardinogiannis] former chairman of PAO is the one that manages the economic resources in OFI, even if the sums that spending in the Athenian and Cretan team have accepted acute reduction in the past few year

The known relation of Panathinaikos with OFI resembles today exceptionally innocently, almost romantic, [par]' that the bad faith that traditionally it causes in the confrontations of two teams can give a picture for what it will happen in the space thus and exists be it more suspicions for “same boss” in from one team. With difficulty however it can speak no one for multi-ownership to the case in question. As householders of OFI are brought Sirs.s Sarris and Synaxakis, in reality however all know that behind them exists the group Bardinogianni which today possesses the 89,3% of action of OFI covering in deed with 700 millions of Drs the summertime the '99 increase of participial capital. The two householders undertook the team of Crete in May 1981 with the benedictions of family and from then the thing function “as common secret”. In the PAO Mr Giorgos Bardinogiannis had established his empire in 1979 and the family was convinced to help the team of Crete removing from the impasse the then chairman Mr Nikos Doyloyfaki that faced serious economic problems. With OFI it dealt almost personally and exclusively Theodoros [Bardinogiannis], which not only travelled often in Heraklion in order to it sees match from the platform of bigots (!) but it existed also founder the training centre of OFI that today brings his name. The chairman of PAO Mr Giorgos Bardinogiannis was not mixed with the administrative and finances of Cretan squad and in particular ago three years, in 1997, afterwards the death of Theodoros [Bardinogianni], Mr Entire Myriokefalitakis administrative soul of OFI ¬ scared of difficult days for the team asked from the householder of team of basket Heraklion Mr Manolis [Papakaliati] to lead team of businessmen in order to is ensured her future! Today for the OFI are interested Minoan Lines, however never have not naturally deposited official proposal in the group of Bardinogianni neither in the supposed householders of company. For the relations of two teams they have been heard a lot of and various critical and the OFI was the first team that received from the Greek Press officially the label of “affiliated”. But the market of OFI from the family Bardinogianni was more a transaction of “price”, a obligation to Crete from which they come, despite the effort of creation of “pole” with particular aims and objectives. No that did not exist also such objectives. In the years of omnipotence the (1983-95) the Panathinaikos created many times over “trast” supporters usefull in administrative games that they have they make with the control of EPO (referees) and EPAE (football dicision center). Were united with the PAO, taking loaned players or guarantees for good confrontation by the institutions, teams as the Glory Dramas, Apollo, Corinthus Mr a. Proportional policy applied in his short passage from the Greek football and Giorgos Koskotas, which in time-record stretched out his tentacles placing persons of his confidence in teams as Panionios, Panseraikos, National and enough other. However these efforts do not have no relation with those who they happen today.
post #6 of 185 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:16
Rising Star

THE GAMES WITH PANATHINAIKOS FROM 1979 TILL TODAY

YEAR_____ HOME_ AWAY

1979-1980 _ 0-3 _ 1-2

1980-1981_ 0-0 _ 0-0

1981-1982_ 1-2 _ 1-1

1982-1983 _ 1-1 _ 2-2

1983-1984 _ 0-2 _ 0-2

1984-1985 _ 1-1 _ 0-2

1985-1986 _ 4-3 _ 1-4_

1986-1987 _ 1-1_ 1-2_

1987-1988 _ 2-1 _ 5-2_

1988-1989 _ 2-1 _ 1-1_

1989-1990 _ 0-2 _ 1-3_

1990-1991 _ 1-3 _ 0-3

1991-1992 _ 0-2 _ 1-1

1992-1993 _ 0-1 _ 1-3

1993-1994 _ 0-0 _ 1-4

1994-1995 _ 0-2 _ 0-2

1995-1996 _ 2-1 _ 0-4

1996-1997 _ 0-0 _ 1-1

1997-1998 _ 0-3 _ 2-6

1998-1999 _ 2-3 _ 0-1

1999-2000 _ 3-4 _ 2-3

2000-2001 _ 0-0 _ 0-2

2001-2002 _ 0-1 _ 1-5

2002-2003 _ 0-2 _ 1-5

2003-2004 _ 1-3 _ 0-1

2003-2004 CUP _ 1-1 _ 0-1

2004-2005 _ 1-2 _ 1-5

2005-2006 _ 3-3_

Last edited by cretan; October 22nd, 2006 at 13:00.
post #7 of 185 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 13:30
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretan
FREE OFI
[/size]
So, why don't you..free OFI yourself ? Everybody stay away from the games, nobody inside again till it's free, as you want, with another management. How long are they gonna keep the team if they have an empty stadioum every time? Can you tell me what acts have you done in order to make them sell the club ?

Last edited by CON318; October 22nd, 2006 at 13:39.
post #8 of 185 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 14:54
Xtratime Legend

Noone can do anything because it is all under the table. There is simply no direct links between OFI and PAO that can be proven in court. The huge influence of Vardinogiannis family of course also contributes to the fact that no eager state prosecutor has taken on the case so far.

Of course, to anyone with a bit of brain, it is obvious that PAO owns OFI. There is so much evidence for that that denying it is like claiming that the sun sets on the east. Recently, Ronald Gomez claimed that while he was playing for OFI, his wages were paid by PAO and that PAO stopped him from moving to AEK...

Personally, I'm so disgusted with this relationship that I really, really dislike OFI. Which is of course unfair to the fans because it's not their fault.

CON, blaming the fans because Vardinogiannis family won't let go? How fair is that man?
post #9 of 185 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 15:29
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
CON, blaming the fans because Vardinogiannis family won't let go? How fair is that man?
Of course Vardinogiannis owns OFI under the table and no blame to the fans for that. This fvcking situation-a disgrace for football, though not the only one- goes on for many years now and they all know it. Now, if you knew that PAOK is a ''PAO store'' would you go to watch your team? I don't think so. I mean, paoktzides are fighting 2 years now for Goumenos to vanish in any way possible, panthires stayed 2 years out of the matches in order Beos to leave, what are the fans in Crete doing?

Last edited by CON318; October 22nd, 2006 at 19:08.
post #10 of 185 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2006, 10:48
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON318
]Can you tell me what acts have you done in order to make them sell the club ?[/B]
Can you tell me why they insist to own the club when they recaive lot of disapprovements of OFI funs? Can you tell me where they go the money of Diarra, Samaras and many other players go? And if Panathinaikos give help to OFI why the last 5 years OFI is always been saved in the last games of the championship and always stay in the last positions of the table? Why OFI have full of hiden-loaned players of panathinaikos (as the friend AMOROSO! said Gomez was one of them) and paid from vardinogiannis like as public servants without caring to play efficiently to help the team? And then how you say that we have an emty stadium when the most funs of OFI disagree to go there because this situation (i am one of them)?
post #11 of 185 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2006, 10:55
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!

Personally, I'm so disgusted with this relationship that I really, really dislike OFI.
I agree with you to dislike OFI for all that, but why you dont dislike Panathinaikos as well? I cant understand why all the other funs in greece have the same opinion for this issue. :rollani:
post #12 of 185 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2006, 11:02
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON318
what are the fans in Crete doing?
We cant do anything because we dont have the power to do and while the Greek Federation / Uefa / Fifa do not do anything about it. I think that OFI can stand in his feet like as Ergotelis here do. I dont mind if OFI will be in second division provided the club to be indipedent and Know that all the players belong to my team and not to another.
post #13 of 185 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2006, 12:39
Rising Star

Epanalamvanw gia na teleiwnoume me to thema: DEN FTAITE ESEIS kai den epikrotw afti tin katastasi, tin opoia kaneis de goustarei-oute oi panathinaikoi-kai pistevw oti oi vardinogiannides tha eprepe na exoun afisei isixo ton OFI me to thorivo pou exei ginei tosa xronia. To oti synexizoun na emplekontai paraskiniaka stin omada einai sigoura ntropi tous kai ntropi gia to podosfairo kai tin politeia.
Apla, an thelete na ginei kati, afou vriskomaste stin Ellada kai kaneis de filotimeitai na dwsei lysi- oute aftoi oi malakes na fygoun, oute i politeia na katharisei to thema- psakste na vreite ti tha kanete. Ksanalew, koitakste tous paoktzides. Oi diamartyries stin Kriti exoun kamia sxesi me aftes ston PAOK i kata kairous se alles omades?
post #14 of 185 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2006, 10:36
Rising Star

Simfono mazi soy se ola. Sigoura oi opadoi tha eprepe na antidroun perissotero alla ama den briskoun antapokrisi apo kanena (Politeia, MME) einai ligiko na apogoiteuontai.
post #15 of 185 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2006, 21:24
Rising Star

How is Peter Ofori-Quaye doing for OFI CRETE??
post #16 of 185 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2006, 21:29
Star Player

Teams: Panathinaikos Parma Man.Utd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia
How is Peter Ofori-Quaye doing for OFI CRETE??
He is doing pretty well this year.He has scored 3 goals so far and got a call from Ghanian NT.
post #17 of 185 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2006, 00:02
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cretan
That's why this regime still remains. If you ask a common fun of OFI he will tell you that he don't accept the relationship of the both teams but the authorities in greece are indifferent to us all these 25 years under the influence of vardinogiannis. Anyway thanks for your interesting for the team of my island and i hope some peaple in Europe to show more interest for this problem that hagride the fans of OFI all these years.

FREE OFI
Yes, free OFI! I didn't know a lot about that OFI/Vardinogiannis relation when I started to like that team, but through several Greek football boards I got to know it. I really hope that this will end some time in the future and maybe OFI can tie up to the time when that picture was made:

bigger pic

On Saturday it comes to the game between my two favourite Greek teams. OFI plays at Kerkyra and I don't really know what to wish. Cretan, what do you think? What can OFI achieve that season?

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #18 of 185 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:29
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiollama
Cretan, what do you think? What can OFI achieve that season?
Thanks mate for your support. I think that it's soon but till now i think that we are going well but i dont think that we can success to participate to UEFA CUP or doing something better than it. Anyway i think that OFI now has a very good trainer (Rainer Maourer) who makes a good job till now and i think the next years will go better. The only complaint i have is that in every game OFI has bad confrontation from referees (like any other team) and conclusion of this is to loose many points. You Know in Greece all are allowed and all are forbiden.
post #19 of 185 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:34
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_acp
He is doing pretty well this year.He has scored 3 goals so far and got a call from Ghanian NT.
... and the stupid refferees have cancelled him 2 goals
post #20 of 185 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:39
Rising Star

HISTORY OF OFI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OFI

Last edited by cretan; December 2nd, 2006 at 12:10.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in