Top 10 young players of the league - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2006, 16:51 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Top 10 young players of the league

According to www.sport24.gr the 10 best young talents (under 21 years old) in Greece are:

Alberto Neri CASTILLO
Nationality: Uruguay/Mexico
Club: Olympiakos
Position: Attacking midfielder/forward

Panagiotis LAGOS
Nationality: Greece
Club: Iraklis
Position: Left winger

Alexandros TZIOLIS
Club: Panathinaikos
Position: Defencive midfielder

Vance SIKOV
Nationality: FYROM
Club: Scoda Xanthi
Position: Central defender

Grigoris PAPAZACHARIAS
Club: Iraklis
Position: Right and central defender

Michalis SIFAKIS
Club: OFI
Position: Goalkeeper

Mahmoud Abdel Razek SHIKABALA
Nationality: Egypt
Club: PAOK
Position: Left winger/central attacking midfielder

Lazaros CHRISTODOULOPOULOS
Position: Forward

Stelios ILIADIS

Ahmed MAGDY
Nationality: EGYPT
Club: Panionios
Position: Central defender/defencive midfielder

And here's the article: http://www.sport24.gr/html/ent/871/ent.113871.asp

It is a good list but I don't entirelly agree with it. Leontiou is definitely in there, and Fernandes is much better than Sifakis. I also think Clayton of Apollon Kalamarias deserves a place, and so does Da Costa of Ionikos. So I would take out Sifakis (overrated), Papazacharias (nothing special at all) and Magdy and put in Fernandes, Leontiou and either Clayton or Da Costa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2006, 19:19
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
If Pliatsikas actually got some game time he would be on the list. Of the 5 teens we picked up this year he is by far the one who has shown the most potential (in the limited time he has played). I don’t know about Clayton of Da Costa, but Leonitou and Fernandes should defiantly be in the list.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2006, 20:03 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Who's Pliatsikas exactly? The dude who started against Atromitos at the opening of the season or that supposedly excellent central defender who was sent on loan to Niki Volou?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2006, 20:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

I just realised that Fernandes, Leontiou and Da Costa are over 21. Nevermind, here's an opportunity to present some slightly older players but still great prospects:

Felipe DA COSTA
Nationality: Portugal
Club: Ionikos
Position: Central midfielder

Daniel FERNANDES
Nationality: Portugal/Canada
Position: Goalkeeper

Sotiris LEONTIOU
Position: Central midfielder

Silva CLAYTON
Nationality: Brazil
Club: Apollon Kalamarias

Avraam PAPADOPOULOS
Club: Aris

Deniz BAYKARA
Nationality: Turkey
Club: Scoda Xanthi

Sotiris BALAFAS
Position: Defencive Midfielder

Patrick OGUNSOTO
Nationality: Nigeria
Club: Ergotelis
Position: Striker

And here are some who have not broken into their clubs yet, but whom I've heard great things about:

Panagiotis KONE
Nationality: Greek/Albanian
Club: AEK
Position: Attacking midfielder

Houssein MOUMIN

Vladimir GANCEV
Nationality: Bulgaria
Position: Right winger

Sokratis PAPASTATHOPOULOS
Club: AEK

If you have any other suggestions, let me know and I'll present them too.

Will be funny to dig out that topic in few years and see how many of them made it.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2006, 21:52
Rising Star

Teams: Panathinaikos, Barcelona, Celtic, Argentina NT
Gadzhev is an attacking midfielder who can also play as a winger.
His natural position is attacking midfielder though.
About Sifakis, I don’t think he’s overrated, he has a crappy defense in front of him, and he is doing his best.
As for Papazacharias, I have mixed feelings for him.
Can’t say he has amazed me, but I think he can be a good player.
Right now I think Avraam Papadopoulos is better.
Also, where is Galitsios;
I really like him.
He is only 19 and he’s one of the best right wingbacks of the championship.
«Yes I know we don’t have any good right wingbacks»
But he is very young and he has amazed me in a lot of games.
Obviously he needs work, he had his pants creamed in the game against Olympiakos, but still I think he is one of the players that have a lot of potential.
Good cross by the way for a kid.
Vyntra look and learn!!!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 16:56
World Class Player

Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
Good to see Sikov in the top 10.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 17:20 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Yeah, Sikov is good although this season he has underperformed (like most of Xanthi's players). If you believe the rumors, he is about to be sold to either Feyenoord or Anderlecht though so that should aid his development.

If only he was a bit faster...

Saravakos, excellent call about Galitsios. He's really good! I can't believe I forgot him... By the way, how old is Aloneftis?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 17:29
Star Player

Teams: Panathinaikos Parma Man.Utd.
Sifakis isn't overrated at all.If OFI didn't have him then it was absolutely sure that they where going down to B ethniki.OFI's defence is completely s**t.
BTW Lazio was interested in him in the winter break, along with a spanish team (Real Betis?).
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 17:44
unnamed1

Anderlecht are the once who want Sikov,,, Anderlecht have seen him in 4 games this year and 1 U 21 NT game and Anderlecht where very happy with his play,, a cantract are more or less made and this are not any rumors.... Greek league have help to develup but now its time for Sikov for bigger assignment . Sikov have the talent to become even better the the best bundesliga defender this year Vasovski... I predict Sikov as one of the 5 best defenders in the world in a near future and he remind of Maldini as Anderlecht people say.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 17:47
Premier Player

Pliatsikas has played 7 times for AEK, every game as a sub and has done quite well. The guy is 18 years old and has quite the future. I also forgot to mention Kiriakidis who is 21 and very good when he comes on.

AEKara OMADARA!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 17:51 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Well, going to a big Greek club would be pretty much the same as moving to Anderlecht but they're not willing to pay for him the sort of money Xanthi is asking while Anderlecht does.

I don't think Sikov will become that good (top 5 defenders in the world) not because he doesn't have the skill or the brain but because he is very, very slow. This doesn't mean that he can't become a very good player. If he had more speed he'd be equipped for great things, but I believe he's going to be one of these players who always need a faster defender next to them.

No comparison with Maldini though, entirelly different kind of defender... I'd compare him to someone like Sammy Hyypia in playing style.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 18:06
unnamed1

I dont agree at all,, I have seen Sikov many times and i have to say that everytime i have seen hime he have playd very well... To say that Sikov play with out brain is the most ridiculous i have ver heard... He play with a bigg brain for his age,, he almost never make any mistakes and play very mature for his age... I see Sikov as talented as Vasovski and the star signor Goran Pandev even if they have defferant position...

Well Olympiakos have show interest as well but ther can not pay as much as Anderlecht will do... Sikov wos close to sign with Genoa last year,, Genoa made Serie A and contract wos about to be made and then it wos cancel cuz Genoa gott some penalty and hade to play Serie C insted...

Well amoroso,, we dont agree but lest see how are righet in 2- 3 years time,, give it 4 years!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 18:42
World Class Player

Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
Well, going to a big Greek club would be pretty much the same as moving to Anderlecht but they're not willing to pay for him the sort of money Xanthi is asking while Anderlecht does.

I don't think Sikov will become that good (top 5 defenders in the world) not because he doesn't have the skill or the brain but because he is very, very slow. This doesn't mean that he can't become a very good player. If he had more speed he'd be equipped for great things, but I believe he's going to be one of these players who always need a faster defender next to them.

No comparison with Maldini though, entirelly different kind of defender... I'd compare him to someone like Sammy Hyypia in playing style.
Well said.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 19:39
Premier Player

Actually OSFP can pay as much if not more than Anderlecht.

AEKara OMADARA!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 21:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naum
To say that Sikov play with out brain is the most ridiculous i have ver heard...
Where did I say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covert
Actually Olympiakos can pay as much if not more than Anderlecht.
Yes, but they're not going to give it for Sikov. At least not while Anatolakis is around- they'd make the slowest central defencive duo in the history of the game. It would be unfair to the boy, as with Antzas returning as well as the central defender Sollied wants to sign (Simunic) he would never get playing time there...

Panathinaikos could use Sikov, and can also afford him but I somehow don't see Vardinogiannis spending that much money. He would make a great duo with Morris.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 21:50
unnamed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
Where did I say that? .
Sorry my mistake! i did read your post very fast and i did gett it wrong this "brain" thing...

Sikov strength is the brain,, he can be a bit slow but i think he can work on that as well,, also he compensate that weakness with his brain just like many topp deffenders in the world but he can work on his speed as well...

I did forgett about the name but Anderlecht did lose a young and talented deffender recently for a bigg clubb,, i forgott the name??! anyway Anderlecht see the same talent in Sikov and they want Sikov to replace this player who wos trasfered to a bigg clubb,, daam what wos his name???
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 21:59
unnamed1

What about this player Goran Popov? age 21

Περίοδος Ομάδα Συμμετοχές Γκολ
2004-05 (Ιαν.) Όντρα Βόντζισλαβ Πολ. 11 -
2004-05 Ερυθρός Αστέρας Σερβ. - -
2003-04 (Ιαν.) ΑΕΚ 6 -
2002-03 Μπελάσιτσα Σκο. - -

He playd with AEK 2003/2004 as you see...
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 22:17 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Popov is with Egaleo now. He plays mostly as left back this season (when he was with AEK he played as a defencive midfielder or cetral defender) but he's not a good player. He's very clumsy with the ball, he's very soft and he's always making mistakes... maybe he'll improve in the future but this season he's been quite bad.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 22:40
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naum
I did forgett about the name but Anderlecht did lose a young and talented deffender recently for a bigg clubb,, i forgott the name??! anyway Anderlecht see the same talent in Sikov and they want Sikov to replace this player who wos trasfered to a bigg clubb,, daam what wos his name???
you re probably talking about Kompany but he hasn't signed yet and its ridiculous to compare Kompany with Sikov. Sikov had a good year last year, but this year he 's not even a starter. I liked the way he played, unfortunately as Amoroso said he is slow and has a problem against quick attackers. I can see foreign teams being interested but not so early and not that big clubs.
Olympiakos was interested when with Bajevic, now there 's no interest. I believe he has future if he goes outside, in Greece the football is a bit more physical for his style and he's not gonna develop. He does have the talent for sure and next year with the departure of Antzas he 'll get more playing time...

My questions... re guys... where did you see Kone play and you have him in the top-20? Papasta8opoulos too, Gandzhev too... friendlies dont say much... these guys don't get playing time. On the other hand I would definitely include Maric (Croatian-Ionikos) and maybe D'Akol (Brazilian-Olympiakos-18) who has helped Kerkyra come back up to the 1st division.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 22:57
Rising Star

Teams: Panathinaikos, Barcelona, Celtic, Argentina NT
Hm I really like Sikov, he has a lot potential and I like his style.
Yes he is slow, but he is young and he can work on that, he just needs to move to bigger club.
I want him in Panathinaikos, he is the type of defender we need alongside Morris.
But I doubt we’ll pay 1.000.000 to Xanthi.
This kid has a bright future ahead of him, he just needs to work as every good prospect.
By the way Aloneftis is 23.
Oh and Djebbour of Atromitos is only 22 if I’m not mistaken he deserves a place in list, no doubt.
Another good prospect is Torosidis of Xanthi.
I would say about Kone too, but I haven’t seen him in a single game…
“I still remember Santos’s comment that he can play as a regular anytime”
Hahahaha it seems he forgot, he haven’t put him to play even in a cup match.
I don’t know if he can live up to the hype.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in