LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:52 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Super League a reality?

Quote:
Greece set for Super League
Tue 21 Feb, 7:09 PM

ATHENS (AFP) - Greek sports undersecretary Georgos Orfanos said that he will soon press parliament to approve legislation aimed at creating a 16-team Super League starting next season.

The announcement came after Orfanos met with representatives of top Greek clubs pushing for the new circuit.

"The closing of the gap between big and small teams, the support of second division clubs and the facing of violence in the sport are to be dealt with within the framework of the new league," said Orfanos.

"I am convinced that the leaders of the major teams are working for a better future for Greek soccer."

Eleven of the 16 teams currently in the Greek first division have already approved the creation of the new league.

Creators of the league say they will proceed with its founding even if the other five teams, including Salonica's powerful PAOK club, do not agree on joining it.

"I am certain that the Super League will begin next season, even without the other clubs that do not show interest. Those teams will have to explain to their supporters why they do not want to join," Xanthi FC owner and the originator of the proposed league, Christos Panopoulos, told a press conference.

The organizing committee of the planned league are expected to meet Thursday with the five teams not participating so far in order to get their backing.

The league is backed by the three major clubs Olympiakos Piraeus, AEK Athens and Panathinaikos Athens.

"Today is a significant day for Greek soccer and now what remains is creating the legal status of the league," said Petros Kokkalis, vice president of current league leaders Olympiakos.

The new league proposes a bonus of 150,000 euros for teams that advance to the Super League from the lower division and the same bonus for teams that are demoted.

The top four divisions of Greek professional soccer are today under the jurisdictions of the Greek Professional Soccer Club Owners Association.
If this happens it will be good for the sport in Greece, although it's nota quick fix as most people seem to think its going to be. Untill it happens ill remain optimistic.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:51
Premier Player

Teams: PAO, Celtic, Greek NT, Lions, Pistons, Wings
It wont be a quick fix and I think a lot of people realize that. I think mainl a lot of fans are optimistic because its a step in the right direction. I would warn them not to put too much faith in owners that are purely interested in lining their own pockets and not in the well being of the league.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2006, 13:02
Premier Player

Teams: South Melbourne HFC -AEK FC - Hellas Verona FC
Quote:
If this happens it will be good for the sport in Greece, although it's nota quick fix as most people seem to think its going to be. Untill it happens ill remain optimistic.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Such a league would be better if it had 10 teams, thus improving the quality dramatically. In any case, it's a step foward for the game.

" The thing is though, no matter how bad your team happens to be, you will still love them. Divorce is not an option in the world of football supporting, it really is a case of death do us part."

AEK till I die!

Ale Viola! FORZA BUTEI!

"I shall always recognise you by the dreadful sword you hold...................."

"Die Mannschaft von down under kommt nach oben"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2006, 13:41
Rising Star

You are right Evil 37 but the point is that the matches will be too few and the TV channels are not willing to pay good amounts of money for 9 home games only.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2006, 13:49
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoss
You are right Evil 37 but the point is that the matches will be too few and the TV channels are not willing to pay good amounts of money for 9 home games only.

Not quite. I was thinking along the lines of teams playing each other 4 times. More interesting games, better quality in the long run, more interest as well. Why would the TV companies want to baulk at that?

" The thing is though, no matter how bad your team happens to be, you will still love them. Divorce is not an option in the world of football supporting, it really is a case of death do us part."

AEK till I die!

Ale Viola! FORZA BUTEI!

"I shall always recognise you by the dreadful sword you hold...................."

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2006, 14:04
Star Player

Teams: Panathinaikos Parma Man.Utd.
Imo the only thing that changes is the money.More to stronger teams and a little bit more for the others.
Epo still control the referees so...
Just a name change for the league.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2006, 14:09
Premier Player

Quote:
Imo the only thing that changes is the money.More to stronger teams and a little bit more for the others.
But that's the thing. I mean you'd get a higher viewing audience for an osfp-pao game than you would for say a Atromitos-Xanthi game. It's to be expected. That's how it is all over the world. I mean j*v*nt*s would get more money than parma in the Serie A. Unfortunate as it is.

AEK till I die!

Ale Viola! FORZA BUTEI!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2006, 00:39
Xtratime Legend

Yes but the gap is already too big. You can let teams negotiate individually if there is some interest in the small clubs... but who's going to give them money to actually exist?

By the way, you guys should check a thread in the Albanian forum about that clown goalkeeper of Ionikos (Bekiai). The posters there think he's the best goalkeeper in Greece. Great comedy.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2006, 14:49
Premier Player

Quote:
By the way, you guys should check a thread in the Albanian forum about that clown goalkeeper of Ionikos (Bekiai). The posters there think he's the best goalkeeper in Greece. Great comedy

...and they probably think Myrtaj is an all time great of the Italian game. Single handedly saved the butei in 2004 though.

AEK till I die!

Ale Viola! FORZA BUTEI!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2006, 18:54
Star Player

Teams: Panathinaikos Parma Man.Utd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil 37
But that's the thing. I mean you'd get a higher viewing audience for an osfp-pao game than you would for say a Atromitos-Xanthi game. It's to be expected. That's how it is all over the world. I mean j*v*nt*s would get more money than parma in the Serie A. Unfortunate as it is.
I know that this situation will always exist.
The way they tell us about the super liga annoy me.They are trying to tell us that their are saviors of Greek football.Bull***t.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2006, 20:50
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
Scotland have had a 10 team league for a while and it does produce better matches more often.But in scotland there traditionally is a large gulf between celtic and Rangers fro mthe rest.Would this happen in greece ?

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2006, 20:52
Xtratime Legend

Having a league of Scotland's quality is certainly not a target. We're better off as it is now.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2006, 21:10
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
exactly.Scotlands league reflects on the scottish national team and they are woeful

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in