Who is the best goalkeeper? - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Who is the best goalkeeper?
Mario Galinovic - Panathinaikos 9 40.91%
Daniel Fernandez - PAOK 1 4.55%
Stefano Sorrentino - AEK 4 18.18%
Antonis Nikopolidis - Olympiakos 7 31.82%
Petr Pizanowski - Scoda Xanthi 0 0%
Michalis Sifakis - OFI 1 4.55%
Stefanos Kotsolis - Larissa 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2006, 12:22 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Who is the best goalkeeper?

It struck me that after several years of drought, the Greek league this season has a fine selection of goalkeepers. Who do you think is the best objectively?

Mario Galinovic - Panathinaikos

Perhaps Zajec's only great transfer from Croatia, Super Mario won a starting spot last year and did well, but this season he's been in fantastic form for Panathinaikos, despite having a tragic defence in front of him.

Daniel Fernandez - PAOK

The young Portuguese (only 21 years old) won the starting spot after Kostikos took over and has never looked back. An impressive goalkeeper under the posts, he is also really good at exits, a weakness of many young goalkeepers. Add to that his impressive physical abilities, and we're looking at a goalkeeper who will soon be too big for the Greek league. Fernando Santos apparently called Scolari to let him know that there is a Portuguese goalkeeper in Greece that is good enough for the national team! He still makes the occasional mistake every now and then though, but that's something natural.

Stefano Sorrentino - AEK

Despite the good reputation of Italian goalkeepers, many eyebrows were raised when AEK loaned Stefano Sorrentino from Torino. Sorrentino was said to be the best goalkeeper of Serie B but he was already 28 years old and had played only 2 games in Serie A. Would he be out of his debth? Well, all these doubts were erased when Sorrentino put one good performance after the other. AEK was fast to make the deal permanent.

Antonis Nikopolidis - Olympiakos

Age is getting on to him, but Nikopolidis remains an extremelly good goalkeeper. Despite the occasional mistake here and there, he has been solid for Olympiakos, less so for the national team though. Olympiakos is looking for a replacement goalkeeper, but Nikopolidis won't give up his place so easily... Some believe he's still the best goalkeeper of the league.

Petr Pizanowski - Scoda Xanthi

Another veteran, Pizanowski was signed by Xanthi at the age of 33 as a stop-gap in midseason till they find a better goalkeeper. Despite his age, he's proven himself as a reliable solution and Xanthi has not only stopped searching for a goalkeeper, but has given him an extension till 2008, when he will be 37. Impressive stature, and great experience characterise his game, but at shot stopping he's merely competent.

Michalis Sifakis - OFI

The goalkeeper of the Greek U-21 team, Sifakis is a very good talent. Tall, aggressive and very jumpy, he's still making silly mistakes every now and then, but his talent has impressed already the likes of Real Betis and Marseille who have been watching him. The future goalkeeper of the national team.

Stefanos Kotsolis - Larissa

Despite being 27 years old, Stefanos Kotsolis is still a "rookie" in the first division. After 10 years of being the back up at Panathinaikos with limited chances, Kotsolis moved to Larissa where he has won everyone, even Rehhagel who gave him a call for the NT, with his performances. He's clearly not going to become the goalkeeper everyone predicted when he was 17, but he still has several years of good football in front of him. And he could very well be the link-up between Nikopolidis and the younger generation of goalkeepers for the National Team.

If someone could make this a poll, it'd be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2006, 12:31
Rising Star

Nikopolidis is the best goalkeeper in Greece at the moment. Sorentino and Galinovic are great, and they deserve playing for the best Greek teams. I don't like Fernadez, although he is very young. I think that Sifakis, Amparis and Kotsolis are good goalkeepers and I am think that at least 2 of them will end up playing high quality football. I hope Olympiakos will find who is the best of them 3 and buy his ASAP.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2006, 12:43 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolga
There's your poll..

Talk about express service, eh?
Fantastic! Thank you.

Well, in my opinion Nikopolidis class is undisputable, but this season Galinovic has been performing much better than him. From then on, Sorrentino and Kotsolis are good but nothing special while Fernandez is simply fantastic and better than both of them. I think he's easily the 3rd best this season, and he's going to improve even more. Pizanowski is not bad, but not top class either (better than Kotsolis though). I didn't put Abaris in the poll because I think he's useless.

So, right now I'd say 1- Galinovic, 2- Nikopolidis, 3- Fernandez, but if I could chose one of them to have in my team or buy, it would most definitely be Fernandez.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2006, 03:37
Premier Player

I think this year it's between Gallinovic and Fernadez. Nikopolidi also, but the first two have impressed me more.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2006, 04:42
Premier Player

Teams: PAO, Celtic, Greek NT, Lions, Pistons, Wings
Galinovic... BY FAAAAAAAARRRR

Galinovic has not had ONE bad game... I can name 2-3 bad games Antonakis has had

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2006, 04:44
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
I didn't put Abaris in the poll because I think he's useless.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2006, 07:07
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00nis
Galinovic... BY FAAAAAAAARRRR

Galinovic has not had ONE bad game... I can name 2-3 bad games Antonakis has had
Which ones are these 2-3 games?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2006, 17:12
Premier Player

First Rosenborg game for one and countless NT games.

Galinovic is better at collecting crosses, better at diving to make saves, faster off the line, taller so he can make harder saves, and also better at closing down angles on tet-a-tets. Nikopolidis is better at positioning himself but thats all hes better at.

Everytime a cross goes close to Nikopolidis you get nervous, and if you say you dont youre a liar. Everytime a cross goes close to Galinovic I know it was a wasted attack by the opposition.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2006, 22:49
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
For me its a tie btw Galinovic and Fernandez. So I did the logical thing and voted for Sorrentino :\

*Btw Fernandes is Canadian born and could also play for the Canadian NT if our scouts actually WAKE UP and cap him.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2006, 21:05
Rising Star

Teams: Panathinaikos, Barcelona, Celtic, Argentina NT
Well very hard choice…
For me Galinovic is the best right now with Sorrentino coming second as for the third place, Nikopolidis and Fernandes are on the same level for me.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2006, 19:45
Rising Star

After tonight's match I agree that Galinovic is the best goalkeeper in Greece.

Nikopolidis was awful

Well done Galinovic
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2006, 23:48
World Class Player

I'll give it to the George Clooney of goalkeeping

Agora năo, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 21:30
Star Player

Teams: FCBarcelona
I think Nikopolidis...

If he didn't make the mistakes (old years) he could be the best goalkeeper ever....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2006, 17:28
Rising Star

Teams: Watford fc

Dimi has become a huge favourite with the fans at Victoria Park after producing some outstanding goalkeeping displays last season. The big keeper saw his opportunities limited in his early days at the Club thanks to the form of Jim Provett but has now established himself as the number one at Pools.

The former Greece Under 21 international is commanding in his area, his kicking is very strong and he is renowned as a fine shot stopper. Dimi's performance in the play-off semi-final second leg at Tranmere Rovers last season was simply awesome - after pulling off a string off of fantastic saves during the game, he was the hero in a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

His form throughout the campaign has meant that he has carved out a reputation as one of the most accomplished goalkeepers in League One.

LEDGEND!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2006, 19:50 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Who is that guy? And which team does he play for?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:27
Premier Player

Teams: South Melbourne HFC -AEK FC - Hellas Verona FC
Konstandopoulos. Plays for Hartlepool United in the Coca Cola League.

" The thing is though, no matter how bad your team happens to be, you will still love them. Divorce is not an option in the world of football supporting, it really is a case of death do us part."

AEK till I die!

Ale Viola! FORZA BUTEI!

"I shall always recognise you by the dreadful sword you hold...................."

"Die Mannschaft von down under kommt nach oben"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in