And it's official: 2 more years of Rehhagel. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2005, 13:43 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

And it's official: 2 more years of Rehhagel.

Brand new two years contract for Otto, with a 6 months extension in the unlikely event we qualify for the Euro.

Well, the pro-Otto brigade got their way. In my opinion, unless he has a dramatic change of personality, he's a senile dinosaur who will ruin our Euro qualification campaign in the first 2-3 games before fvcking off.

I wish I'm wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2005, 19:24
Premier Player

Amo, you know you were saying all of this stuff when Otto signed the first time, you never liked him, from the beginning. And thats fine... it's your opinions, but I said from the beginning that I believed in him, and it proved true, and then he failed to bring us to the WC, because he was stubborn. So he is 1 for 2 right now. The same reason we were successful is the same reason we failed.

But let me say this, Otto is the best coach for the Greek NT. And it's more mental than physical, and it will always be with us until bigger things change in Greek football and mentality. Otto WILL drop older players, I don't doubt it. He will build a new, young team, on the same model he built the old one. ANd it's the only model I believe Greeks players can go on. It's the only way we can be successful. It's the only way we can build a team for the future, with older players passing it on to younger players, and them buying into Otto's system and playing for him like the 2004 guys did. Only time will tell, but I still believe what I believed from day 1, this is the right decision, and Otto will get the job done. I don't have any doubt in my heart personally...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2005, 19:47
Rising Star

Teams: Panathinaikos, Barcelona, Celtic, Argentina NT
Good news.
Otto is the only one who can handle the NT.
Sad but true...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2005, 00:07
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
unless he has a dramatic change of personality, he's a senile dinosaur
100% right Amoroso.
But Saravakos13 is also right.Who else could handle this team and this messy nation? You got any other suggestions?Delight me!
Sad but true.Otto is our only faith.Let's stick with him and hope he ''moderns'' up some of his ideas.
I'll stick with him...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2005, 04:50 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Why is there the almost religious belief that Rehhagel is infallible? He's not, and he has proven that time and time again. Tactically, he's very good but he is always, always really stubborn when it comes to handling players. Even during the Euro his insistance on using the pathetic Nikolaidis or hasogo-Lakis instead of the back then in wonderful form Papadopoulos and Georgiadis reeked of personal bias towards players. The refusal to even consider Zikos who was playing in the final of the CL with Monaco that season is another case. Otto seems to take an almost fetish-like pleasure in making decisions that are against common sense.

Rehhagel is personally responsible for two things:

1) We were eliminated from the WC not because the other teams in our group were actually better but because in the whole qualifying round we were unable to exchange two passes between us. I can accept the post-Euro hangover and the defeat from Albania but after Otto had the team to work for a full one month in view of the Confederation's Cup, I think things would pick up. Instead, our performances deteriorated with time. Say what you like, but the performance in Khazakstan was the worse performance I have ever seen from the Greek NT and that includes the pre-Rehhagel era. Rehhagel is responsible for that - when a team is THAT bad, yes, the coach is to blame, especially when he tries to do NOTHING to change things.

2) Many of our players, after the Euro, thought that they were ready to play for Real Madrid and Manchester United and instead of sticking with their club or moving to a team that is reasonable to their talents, they ended up either unemployed or benched. Basinas, Vryzas and Dellas are the clear examples of that. Otto not only did not drop these players, but insisted on calling them up and using them despite being desperatly out of form. If he had made clear that NO club football means NO national team football, all of them would have moved out of their comfortable seats on the stands and found new clubs. I don't care where - Basinas could sign a 6-month contract with Panionios or something, but a player MUST play to be kept in form.

Finally, you ask who apart from Otto can handle it? I think several coaches. Bajevic, to begin with. And then there are many unemployed coaches who would love to take a 2 and a half year challenge like coaching the European champions. Le Guen? Hitzfeld? Fernandez? I mean, the FA is offering enough money to make the position financially satisfiable.

But hey, the future will tell.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2005, 11:31
Rising Star

Teams: Panathinaikos, Barcelona, Celtic, Argentina NT
Quote:
Finally, you ask who apart from Otto can handle it? I think several coaches. Bajevic, to begin with. And then there are many unemployed coaches who would love to take a 2 and a half year challenge like coaching the European champions. Le Guen? Hitzfeld? Fernandez? I mean, the FA is offering enough money to make the position financially satisfiable.

But hey, the future will tell.
Bajevic is a very strange situation with a lot of parametrs.
Yes he is a great coach no doubt, but that's not enough.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2005, 14:58
Premier Player

Teams: South Melbourne HFC -AEK FC - Hellas Verona FC
Quote:
Why is there the almost religious belief that Rehhagel is infallible?
Stupid question really. Fact is, whillst I agree with your sentiments who else can you call on to replace him? Face it, most no ALL Grek coaches are sh!te in terms of coaching the NT or a big club and decent foreign coaches aren't exactly around and no don't even think of mentioning kermit as a successor. Otto is sticking by the same players that won the euro and whilst in theory it may seem right it hasn't really served us well of late. I mean how the fcuk can he possibly perservere in basinas is beyond me actually. :frustrat:

" The thing is though, no matter how bad your team happens to be, you will still love them. Divorce is not an option in the world of football supporting, it really is a case of death do us part."

AEK till I die!

Ale Viola! FORZA BUTEI!

"I shall always recognise you by the dreadful sword you hold...................."

"Die Mannschaft von down under kommt nach oben"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2005, 09:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

And now they're trying to convince Zagorakis to stay. I can't believe that. Of course Zagorakis is still good enough for the NT, and is still one of the most important player... but he's 34 for god's sake. He'll be 36.5 come the Euro, how can you start a new effort and build on a player who is that old?

Zagorakis had decided to stop, and concentrate on PAOK, but they apparently Gagatsis and Rehhagel have convinced him to keep playing for the NT.

Not good...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2005, 12:30
Premier Player

Teams: South Melbourne HFC -AEK FC - Hellas Verona FC
Agreed! But he has to blood more youngsters and up and comers, which won't be easy given that our youth policy is a freaking joke. :irritate:

" The thing is though, no matter how bad your team happens to be, you will still love them. Divorce is not an option in the world of football supporting, it really is a case of death do us part."

AEK till I die!

Ale Viola! FORZA BUTEI!

"I shall always recognise you by the dreadful sword you hold...................."

"Die Mannschaft von down under kommt nach oben"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2005, 18:29
Rising Star

Quote:
Why is there the almost religious belief that Rehhagel is infallible?

Noway Amo,the german in not infallible
.We all see his big mistakes you point,we all understand that there must be ''new blood'' in the NT bench(as in the field too).
Here's what happened in Euro and after Euro IMO:Rehhagel came and found a bunch of players that were not A level,but not trash at all as everybody considered of greek football since then.He made them believe in themselves but also to learn descipline,he organised them,made a family out of them and,with all these german characteristics and some...miles of luck,he achieved the Euro miracle.
From the day after,we entered in a new,totally different season,a season more difficult than any one imagined.The only thing harder than reaching the top is staying at the top.And that's even harder when your success doesn't really represent the quality you got.
Greek football wasn't ready for this success in any way you see it.Even the ignorants can see that greek players can be fantastic sometimes against great powers,can play with unbelievable heart and passion and manage to do great things once,but they can't ''create'' football every time they get into the field,nomatter whoever they play,Brasil or Kuweit.Being Champion of Europe can happen once,proving it everytime you play,even against Albania, is impossible when you are so ''small''.
Rehhagel stuck with these Europe champions.He didn't really believe that any other player,Salpiggidis or Lymberopoulos or whatever,could give him something more.And to tell you the truth,we all saw what Gekas did everytime the german used him.He was a joke..Gekas that scored in every game with PAO that time!
Lymbe and Kafes really helped later,but that's not the point.I must tell you,i felt what you felt,i watched the match against Kazakstan and wanted to smash my f****n TV! But i realised something:Whoever Otto would have used,i don't think there would be much difference in the team.The basic leaders of this team were just done.They were finished.The whole team seemed DEAD!Who to bring,how to fit him in,how to make anybody else a leader,and how to make a totally new team at this time?To all this,add the tragic form of players like Yourkas or Nikopolidis that shined in Euro,add the bad luck we had(even in games we performed well,like home agst Ukrain we were ''punished'' for the..ksekoloma in Portugal,that's life) and you get the result.
The point is,from now on,what???

Quote:
Bajevic, to begin with. And then there are many unemployed coaches who would love to take a 2 and a half year challenge like coaching the European champions. Le Guen? Hitzfeld? Fernandez? I mean, the FA is offering enough money to make the position financially satisfiable.
From now on,this:
Yes the German should go.No doubt.Thanks a lot,we love you,we'll always remember you as the man who took some ''bandits'' and stole the crown for us,but PLEASE..LEAVE.
Who will take his place?
Bajevic
?
Yes...but no.Maby he is the one needed but we all know he couldn't work.
Le Guen? Hitzfeld? Fernandez? OFCOURSE YES!!!!
But unfortunately Gagatsis chose the easy way.Anyway..Lets give the german 2 more years.I think he deserves that.Even if they turn to be lost(I hope not).Let that be the ''thank you''.At least we didn't returned to other times i don't even want to remember.

Last edited by CON318; November 16th, 2005 at 18:55.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2005, 23:12
Rising Star

Otto should stay. I think he learned what he did wrong by now. So lets give him a chance. He is the best coach we have ever had.

Last edited by vagelis; November 16th, 2005 at 23:17.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2006, 22:52
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
It depends how you look at it.you could look at it that he won Euro 2004 with the NT and will always be remembered for it.But is he the right man to take greece onto next level of qualifying for the next two tourenmounts which surely has to be the aim ?

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in