How will Mbappe go down in French football history? - Page 5 - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Where will he stand among the best French players ever?
He will be the French GOAT 0 0%
He will retire as greater than Zidane but not as good as Platini 0 0%
Better than the likes of Henry or Kopa but will never surpass Zidane 2 22.22%
Not even as good as Henry 5 55.56%
He will flop big time! 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 88 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2019, 08:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetGooner View Post
Literally in Zidane's 10+ years at Juventus and Madrid, he was never able to establish himself as the dominant player over his peers for any sustained period of time. Not over Nedved and Totti in Serie A, and not over the likes of Figo and Ronaldinho and Raul and R.Carlos in the La Liga.
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 88 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2019, 08:48
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetGooner
Literally in Zidane's 10+ years at Juventus and Madrid, he was never able to establish himself as the dominant player over his peers for any sustained period of time. Not over Zanetti and Ronaldo in Serie A, and not over the likes of Figo and Ronaldinho in the La Liga.
Properly fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W The Bat View Post
These last years after the CL win I noticed when following the Inter online community that many fans have turned into cvcksuckers.
R.I.P: Tazzy, Flo.
post #83 of 88 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2019, 14:29
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mali View Post
world cup 2006. a world cup he wasn't supposed to play as he retired from the NT.
the french squad struggled so much to qualief that he decided to come back in 2005 for helping. he is the reason why we reached and lose the world cup 2006. that is a fact.
I think in terms of leadership, 2006 World Cup was probably his best performance. Not in terms of football though. After all, except for the match against the dysfunctional Brazil, he didn't really shine. I think he was at his bet for the NT during EURO 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firdaus View Post
France 98-00 didn't need Zidane?
Come on man, don't strawman me like that. I was very clearly discussing his intangibles. Zidane was praised for his leadership during the 98-00 era when it was clear that that team didn't require his leadership to be the machine that it was. Deschamps was the captain, but outside of him, players like Blanc, Vieira, and Desailly were all big characters who could help pull a dressing room together. That was one of France's Golden Generation, not just in terms of talent, but also in terms of character.

As discussed above, 2006 was the best demonstration of his intangible qualities.

post #84 of 88 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2019, 16:26
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
I think in terms of leadership, 2006 World Cup was probably his best performance. Not in terms of football though. After all, except for the match against the dysfunctional Brazil, he didn't really shine. I think he was at his bet for the NT during EURO 2000.

yes, anytime zidane played against brazil, they dysfunctioned. maybe there is a link ?

and by the way, watch again the curse of the french squad in 2006. even the draw against the swiss, zidane shined. against the spanish, iniesta, xavi and co. against portugal, figo, cronaldo and co, and against italy... to dear a panenka in final against buffon, mah !
this man is a legend. that is.

I strictly have nothing to say but I want that comes out.
post #85 of 88 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2019, 17:41
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mali View Post
yes, anytime zidane played against brazil, they dysfunctioned. maybe there is a link ?

and by the way, watch again the curse of the french squad in 2006. even the draw against the swiss, zidane shined. against the spanish, iniesta, xavi and co. against portugal, figo, cronaldo and co, and against italy... to dear a panenka in final against buffon, mah !
this man is a legend. that is.
No there isn't a link. Every time Thuram played against Brazil they were also dysfunctional, is there a link?

Zidane was MotM once in World Cup 2006, and that was the game against Brazil.

Makelele was MotM against Swiss. Park Ji-Sung was MotM in France vs S. Korea. The one game that France won in that group, the victory they needed to qualify, Vieira was MotM. Zidane didn't even play.

And you can't just make up facts dude. Iniesta didn't even play against Zidane in 2006. Xavi came back from a 4-month long injury. Didn't even start in the UCL final. So let's not pretend like France played against some uber-version of Xavi. In any case, Vieira was MotM of that game. Thuram was MotM against Portugal, although I think a case could've been made for him to have been the MotM.

Contrast this with his form in EURO 2000 where he played the full 180 minutes in both of their victories in group stage, then won MotM in both the quarter-final and semi-final. That was a much more impressive tournament. even if he didn't play particularly well in the final.

Yes, the man is a legend. I don't see any arguing otherwise
post #86 of 88 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2019, 19:01
Xtratime Elite

Quote:

thank you

I strictly have nothing to say but I want that comes out.
post #87 of 88 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2019, 19:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Quote:
No there isn't a link. Every time Thuram played against Brazil they were also dysfunctional, is there a link?

Zidane was MotM once in World Cup 2006, and that was the game against Brazil.

Makelele was MotM against Swiss. Park Ji-Sung was MotM in France vs S. Korea. The one game that France won in that group, the victory they needed to qualify, Vieira was MotM. Zidane didn't even play.

And you can't just make up facts dude. Iniesta didn't even play against Zidane in 2006. Xavi came back from a 4-month long injury. Didn't even start in the UCL final. So let's not pretend like France played against some uber-version of Xavi. In any case, Vieira was MotM of that game. Thuram was MotM against Portugal, although I think a case could've been made for him to have been the MotM.

Contrast this with his form in EURO 2000 where he played the full 180 minutes in both of their victories in group stage, then won MotM in both the quarter-final and semi-final. That was a much more impressive tournament. even if he didn't play particularly well in the final.

I think Ronaldo was the most dominant player on the pitch that game. Thuram might have won the award because France won the match, but every touch of Cristiano gave the feeling of something dangerous or spectacular is about to happen.

Btw, mali is a mrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
post #88 of 88 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2019, 04:55
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
I think Ronaldo was the most dominant player on the pitch that game. Thuram might have won the award because France won the match, but every touch of Cristiano gave the feeling of something dangerous or spectacular is about to happen.

Btw, mali is a mrs.
You're right, Ronaldo was arguably the best player on the field that match, but I don't think he could've won the MotM because Portugal lost.

It cannot be underestimated how completely stacked, defensively, the French team was. Similar things can be said about the current French generation, imo. Players like Mbappe has such a good foundation to perform because of players like Varane and Kante.
pele10brazil likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in