Italy 2-0 Belgium - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2000, 06:56
Driver X

Belgium had a lot of possesion but couldn't break down Italy's excellent defefence, Maldini and Cannavaro had superb games(as usual) and Toldo was spectacular in goal, my personal man of tha match. Belgium's most influential player, Marc Wilmots, was IMO totally hopeless and clueless, had no idea how to break through the defence, and his first touch of the ball was poor.
Valgaeren didn't leave a good impression of himself when under pressure when he scored an own-goal. A 3-0 would have been an embarresment to Belgium.
However, as I said before the tournament, Belgium has a great chance to finish top of group A, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were the same old story with the big powerhouse team still winning in the end. It looks as though Italy have won the group, they'll surely beat Sweden, but a draw would be good enough for them to finish top, so I think Zoff will play tactically very defensive and definitely won't try to play how Italy played against Sweden's neighbours Norway in a friendly just before Euro 2000.
I think of the Belgian players, Goor did quite well, adn Nilis struck a marvelous free-kick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2000, 08:36
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
italy won 2-0,i shold have been 3-0 but one of the goals was
not accepted(don't know why)
it wasan't really one of the best games but italy are good so it was difficult for belgium to create any good chances.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2000, 08:53
Premier Player

Nesta was also very impressive in Italy's defence. The early goal from Italy killed us. Italy defended very well and now it is shown that we don't have the players to 'make' a game. We were using to many long balls and it didn't worked. It wasn't a good game to watch but Italy played it good and they deserved to win. We had more possession of the ball but it was just because Italy let us go to just over the midfield and from there they started the defence. Nilis was again not good. Strupar was so much better. Nilis was only one time dangerous and that was his free-kick. The rest of the game i didn't saw him !
The third goal should have counted. They say Delvecchio pushed Valgaeren but it was a bad call in my opinion. Maybe this is going to be important if Belgium ends with the same points as Sweden/Turkey ?

It will be very hard to go to the next round i think ! Most will depend on the result of Sweden - Turkey today.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2000, 09:11
gOD
Legend

i have to agree on the most that is said here. only i think it's necessary to point out that italy was way better than we were and we played at our best. this is the belgian squad: a lot of courage but no class. wilmots stands for this image. he worked a lot but as the man who has to make the decisive pass he failed completely. along with vanderhaeghen he had to play the ball IMMEDIATELY to the free man (mostely one of the wingers) but because he didn't dare or didn't see it or mostely couldn't control the ball soon enough the italian defense was back in position.

i also want to say that nilis was not as strong as he can be, but strupar wasn't good either. yes he tried and he worked a lot but on this level that ain't enough. the man is way too slow for this. therefore i want nilis to start against turkey (starting is much easier than coming into a game that is already played).

finally a realistic note (some may say pessimistic but that is not true). if turkey does not loose tonight i don't believe belgium will make it to the 2 round. but we have to be fair about it we don't have the team for it. courage and working hard is very sympathtic, but it is not enough!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2000, 14:54
Premier Player

I expected this after the Turkey - Italia match.
we cant be disappointed, Italia is simply beter.

Players that were good:
Valgaeren: simpel but good ( goal denied was a GOOD call, I all should see some more replays)
Deflandre: very good preformance, exceptional
Wilmots: good as always
Hendrickx: supprised me, good impression, better than Denmark.

Not good enough:

Nilis and Emile ( MISS Belgium olé, olé )

Italia:
NESTA!!!!
the man, de man!
Maldini and Cannovaro weren't bad
certainly Cannovaro, he made the prof. faults at the right places.

ADRIAAN
_________

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in