Belgium at Euro2000 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2000, 22:32 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Will Belgium have a chance to be the surprise of the tournament ? Our group isn't that difficult but also not easy. We played some very good friendlys but those matches on Euro2000 will be totally different and can our players handle that ? If we win the openings game against Sweden we have a good chance to pass the round but when we lose it (or even draw) it will be very hard.

I hope we can pass the first round and from then everything is possible ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2000, 22:36
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
i don't thing it will be a surprise if belgium will go to the semi finals or something,belgium has a great team and are playing the tournament at home.
sweden,turkey,italy and belgium.
i think italy is the favorites to win the group,but it's wide open for the second spot
everyone can go through....
we'll see
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2000, 05:14
Legend

IMO Belgium along with Yugoslavia will be the hige surprise of EURO 2000. Not really a big one, if you look at their results so far, but people pay more attention to tradition than actuall form and that's why SH|T like England and Germany is considered favs and Belgium are not. HALA BELGIUM, even though I am a Holland fan all the way.

But I also don't ahte Belgium like once, I really, really hated Oliviera, just couldn't stand him !

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2000, 09:26
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
How much of an advantage is playing in your own country in a tournament like EURO 2000? Does it really affect the outcome of any given game? If so, it's all psychological, right? What do you think?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2000, 12:05
Driver X

For England during Euro 96 and France during WC 98, home advantage had a big effect. Also with WC 98, the home team did not play all the games at the same stadium, and at every location the home-support was tremendous.

Belgium are in quite a tough group. Should Galatasaray's success in the UEFA Cup carry on to the Turkish national team, then they could be a surprise. Sweden has got an average squad, but have increddible finesse, just like Denmark, the players really work hard for each other. Italy is the favourite, they have a strong team, but will be handicapped by the absence of Christian Vieri, and Zoff is under a lot of critiscm in Italy, so there's a lot of pressure.
I think Belgium has a chance to finish 2nd behind Italy, but it will be very close, Belgium must not lose to Turkey or Sweden at any cost to have a chance to progress.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2000, 05:56
Driver X

Arsenal is interested in valgaeren
Monaco got Leonard
AC milan wanted Bassegio
champions Sporting lisabon got mpenza (keeper de Wilde's former club
Parma got Walem
Aston villa get nilis (english clubs are good)
and off course, former uefa cup champions Schalke 04 got Wilmots, van kerchhoven and Mpenza's brother

Our last friendly matches ended in draws, 5-5 and 2-2. Against Holland we always seem to have extra power, but we lack phisical condition. the first half of the match we played fantastic, in both matches, but in the second half we seem to get too tired from chasing the ball in the first half. If we improve our physical condition, we'll beat them again, just like in wc'94.

Ever since Wasseige took over as choach, our style is based more on atack. In defence we got wings, just like in midfield. Our midfield is sollid with vanderhaeghe as defencive midfielder, with wilmots as atacking centre midfielder and the 2 wingers Goor and Verheyen.

We are ok in defence too, with Staelens and Valgaeren as pure defenders, and 2 wingers Leonard and Deflandre, to help atack.

I admit our keeper isnt great.. but he is good. De wilde is a keeper with a lot of experience, and he still is fast enough to make some important saves during euro2k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in