A missed opportunity to get to the QF 3 33.33%
Plain luck, they should have lost against Porto or PSV 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 412 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2000, 22:13 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Belgian Teams in Europe 00/01

Nice that the forum finally exists!
Me and Kevin accually planned this months ago and now its here: Thanks Kevin and Nick!

Now about Anderlecht, do you see them proceed to the Cl and when they're there are they going to be able to pull ' A Feyenoord '?

My thoughts: Anderlecht is going to proceed through the first round, put are going to be stopped in the second one IF they don't buy another decent striker.

In the attack we have got:
Koller ( lets hope)
Radzinski
Ekakia ( uncertain because of carcrash)
Iachtchouck ( still injured?)
Sonko ( nice player, maybe a supersub.)
STOICA! ( I we can count him as a striker)

The solution might be Oulare, but has he played enough matches lately?
What is he going to cost? ( 250.000$US?)

The midfield is very strong now, it hasn't be this good in years!
Certainly with Hasi and Vanderhaege as renforcements!

The defends is OK certainly now Ilic has arrived
Maybe a bit slow but very expienced and routined.

Anyway, ones there in, I think they can go very far. Or like Sacchi ( or something) said after the Bolongna game (RSCA at home)
' this squad could do something in Eurocup with a poule system, they play impressively'

I really want them to make it, because Belgian soccer needs this badly!

ADRIAAN
_________
ATLETI, ATLETI !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 412 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2000, 23:10
Premier Player

They just have to qualify. Belgium deserves a team in the Champions League (why is it still called that ??). Anderlecht is the only team in Belgium who can make it and represent Belgium in a decent way. I really hope they make it. But i'm afraid that they will have a difficult time already passing the qualification rounds, when they have to face teams like Inter, Milan, Valencia, Porto, Rangers,... They can win those matches but you have to be lucky too. Remember the games against Bologna.

They bought already really good. Defence and midfield are good like you said but the attack ?

They have Koller, Radzinski, Iachtchouk, Anastasiou and Ekakia als strikers i think. Sonko is a good player but for already playing the CL , i don't think so, maybe as a supersub like you said (that would be great )
Stoica is also more midfielder or second striker..

But main question : Will Koller still be with Anderlecht after Euro2000 ??

What about Anastasiou actually, is he going to leave. I don't get it. He scores so easily and plays good games, although what i see from him. Or am I totally wrong ?

Don't think you have to count on Iachtchouk too much. He is almost always injured !!

Do you think Anderlecht can afford Oulare ? Fenerbahce paid Genk about 3.2 $ million and the price will be high. They will have to sell first a player before they can buy Oulare i think.

Like you said, if they bug a good striker they have a chance to make it into the groups, and from there everything is possible..

Let's hope for Belgian soccer that they can make it. I don't care if this means that Anderlecht will be better and better and no other belgian team can come close to them. Belgium deserves to have a big team in Europe !!

Forza Sporting
post #3 of 412 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2000, 23:32
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
if not anderlecht sell too many players i think they got a great chance in cl.
they got many stars and if a club like rosenborg can make it to the second round,there wont be any problems for anderlecht,like you said anderlecht is one of few teams in belgiium i really think can make it in cl.and when zetterberg,koller,radzinski,baseggio etc are playing good it is very fun to watch..

post #4 of 412 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2000, 23:38
gOD
Legend

Wow it's cool i can talk about anderlecht on this site.

unlike kevin and adriaan; i don't believe anderlecht's problem lies in the offensive compartiment. this on the condition that jan koller stays. he'll surprise alot of people on the euro2000. watch him!

along with oulare (let's hope he comes, s soo good), ekakia and also radzinski (who has to proove himself next year) our attack has quantity and quality!

and don't forget stoica i think his best position is as second striker with a free rol. a bit like del pierro, zola play in juve and chelsea. he's physically not strong enough to be a real number 10. he's more a 9,5 like baggio. a 9,5 with an enormous potential.

then the bad news: our defense. deboeck crasson..., it's not good enough. deboeck way too slow and not always focused, crasson just not good enough. then there is staelens a good player but not young and not the speed he used to have. that last thing also can be implied on ilic.

a good team starts from the defence. we need a strong, fast player who can start the game from behind. therefore i was really sad we bought vanderhaeghen and hasi (i prefer him) even as we didn't really need the both of them. what saddened (is this a word?)the most was that we left blessing kaku go to genk. he has it all. genk ha made the transfer of the year.

------------------
Always trying to be modest. And damn proud of it!

post #5 of 412 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2000, 00:00
Premier Player

Maybe you could use another defender but still you have a good and experienced one.

??? - Staelens - De Boeck - Crasson

I don't know who is playing on the left, i am not a Anderlecht fan afterall Who is actually the left defender ?? or are you just playing with 3 defenders and Goor and Van Diemen on the wings ?

Back to the main thing : I think that with this defence you've got a really good one. They are all good. Staelens may not be fast but he compensates it with his vision.. With Ilic you have an excellent backup. De Boeck played also good games (at least they told me) and Crasson is a decent defender. Maybe they should look for some good young defenders who can play in a couple of years, but they can do it with this one next year.

Huh, now i'm thinking on it you don't have many defenders as backup.. Only Doll i know .. Can you help me out ?

Damn, gOD may be right..
Am i missing some players are do you actually have so few defenders ? Is Dheedene a defender ??

To the attack now : like you said gOD, many teams will be surprised about Koller but that's not good for RSCA i think. They will have to sell him (for lots of $$$) and look for a replacement. Oulare could do it but still it will be different. Oulare hasn't played that much and it will take time to fit him in the team...

As for Kaku, he is a great player but Genk will miss him a lot this season because of international duty.. And you can't have them all you know I also think he was too expensive after the transfers of Vanderhaeghe - Hasi !
post #6 of 412 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2000, 02:15
gOD
Legend

on the left we have oyen (ex-psv) in a 4-man defence he isn't that good although i prefer him to dheedene (he's a left back) who isn't anderlecht quality. also i prefer doll to deboeck. doll he's really good only his passing sucks big time. but he know his faults so he doesn't do things he knows he can't.

i still think we shouldn't have bought vanderhaeghe but we should have gone for kanu (true he will be away a lot). another great african defender (who will be away alot) is george blay from standard.

------------------
Always trying to be modest. And damn proud of it!

post #7 of 412 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2000, 12:57
Premier Player

This is the fixture in the second round of the Champions league qualification round !

First leg matches: Wednesday 26 July 2000
Second leg matches: Wednesday 02 August 2000

Normally Anderlecht should win it but the 3rd round will be the most difficult one. Actually, they just have to make it ! We can't afford the same thing as Genk had with Maribor !!

What do you think ? It could have been worse with teams like Glasgow Rangers, Besiktas,Sturm Graz, Rosenborg, ...
post #8 of 412 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2000, 13:17
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
it will be an easy game for the belgians.
anderlecht is an better team,but i hope not players like zetterberg and jan koller is gonna leave.
post #9 of 412 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2000, 13:25
gOD
Legend

without underestimation this should be a piece of cake. the 3e round worries me more though.
post #10 of 412 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2000, 19:46
Premier Player

qualification games for the uefa cup :

AA Gent plays ÍA Akranes : no problem either

and Lierse plays against FK Ekranas. It is also ok.

-------------------------------------------------
We also have Genk who are already placed for the first round of the uefa cup.

That's going to be a long time that we're going to have so many teams in Europe Hopefully they can fo further then one round

post #11 of 412 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2000, 07:01
Driver X

Has Anderlecht qualified directly for the Champions League?
post #12 of 412 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2000, 09:04
Premier Player

No, Anderlecht has to play 2 qualification rounds. First game is against Anarthosis Famagusta

http://www.soccerforums.com/showthre...?threadid=8109
post #13 of 412 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2000, 22:08
gOD
Legend

In the second round of the intertoto Standard will play perugia. Standard played 1-1 at home against tiblissi while they drew 22-2 in georgie!
post #14 of 412 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2000, 22:47
Premier Player

Belgian clubs confident of Uefa success

Club Bruges, Ghent and Lierse were all confident of success in their opening matches for the 2000-01 Uefa Cup after the draw was announced on Friday.

Club Bruges face Estonian side Flora and newly-appointed coach Trond Sollied has admitted that though he knows little about them, he believes his side will win.

"We'll watch them several times," Sollied said. "It's always better as I don't want to take any risks. Even though the team has many internationals, I believe we can be optimistic."

Fellow Belgian manager, Henk Houwaart, who took over the Ghent job from Sollied, was also optimistic, saying: "I'm cautious but it's a good draw for us. I'd rather go to Iceland than Estonia or Belarus. Even though they've been the best club in Iceland for ten years, I'm not going to lose any sleep over them."

Meanwhile, Lierse manager Walter Meeuws was not phased by a trip to Lithuania for his side’s first leg match against Ekranas.

"Ekranas have never won a European match [out of four played]," Meeuws said. "They're a very young side with little experience. We should be capable of going through."

post #15 of 412 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2000, 23:12
Premier Player

Standard won 1-2 in Perugia. A good result if you know that they played without Aarst, Dragutinovic, Meyssen, Vlcek, Turaci, ..
I don't know what team Perugia played ofcourse.

Lukunku opened the score in the 34th minute. Calori equalised in the 54th but 3 minutes later Thys put the 1-2 on the boards

Return the 8th of July at Sclessin.
post #16 of 412 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2000, 23:26
World Class Player

Teams: Detroit Red Wings
did Folha play?

Cry me a river you whiney little bit.........

-Charlie Brown
Leaders of the New School
post #17 of 412 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2000, 23:43
Premier Player

No Folha didn't play. But what is strange is that Meyssen and Dragutinovic did according to an Italian website. A Belgian newsstation said today that they couldn't play because they were registred too late ?!

I will look tomorrow in Belgium newspapers if they say something about it. Strange that they did play and FOlha didn't...

Aarst was injured i think.

Standard : Runje, Wuillot, Brocken, Van
Buyten, Selymes, Ermst (38' st Blay), Thys,
Meyssen, (17' st Oussalah), Pierre, Dragutinovic,
Lukunku (30' st El Yamani)
post #18 of 412 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2000, 08:46
Premier Player

Stupid me, there aren't newspapers on sunday in Belgium ...

But i found out that Standard got permission from the UEFA to play with all the players who were normally too late.

Folha didn't play because of an injury.
post #19 of 412 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2000, 10:32
gOD
Legend

and who did perugia play with? if the italians used their regular team, then standard must have had a wonderful game.
post #20 of 412 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2000, 10:45
Premier Player

PERUGIA (4-3-1-2): Mazzantini; Hilario, Materazzi, Calori, Milanese (46' st Pieri); Blasi (26' st Baiocco), Olive, Tedesco; Alenitchev; Zampagna, Testini (5' st Turchi).

I don't know if this is their first and best team ? I thought they had strikers like Rapajc but he maybe left ? Some players i know like Mazzantini, Materazzi, Calori, Olive, Alenitchex,.. and they are first team starters i think. Quite a performance from Standard though because Perugia uses this cup to try and get UEFA cup football next season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in