Vincent Kompany - Manchester City - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:28 Thread Starter
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Premier Player

Teams: The mighty Belgian NT
Vincent Kompany - Manchester City

What's the verdict on him now? Has he become an important part of the team or is he still not convincing?

Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβάμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος.

Justice is judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong but is also the way we try to save them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2008, 13:54
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepinovic View Post
What's the verdict on him now? Has he become an important part of the team or is he still not convincing?
Yesterday was only the second time this year he sat on the bench (apart from his injury period). He has his starting spot on the midfield since he came back from his injury and he's doing quite good there. Is dangerous from time to time with long distance shots, his passing is sometimes decisive, etc.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2008, 08:17
Premier Player

Teams: Club Brugge, 1.FC Union Berlin
why was Kompany benched again?

http://youtu.be/id5miD_uZDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0Re9aBJt4

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2008, 14:13
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel, 25:17 View Post
why was Kompany benched again?
He's been slightly injured since a couple of weeks, so Stevens gains him enough rest to avoid a larger injury.

Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2008, 15:25
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
Star Player

Teams: SV Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA View Post
He's been slightly injured since a couple of weeks, so Stevens gains him enough rest to avoid a larger injury.
I don't think that the injury was the only reason. Kompany simply played poor in the past couple of matches and our squad has some depth in the central defense and central midfield, so even a player like Kompany might get benched.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2008, 13:53
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Wolfsburg - HSV 1-1

HSV: F. Rost - J. Boateng, B. Reinhardt, Mathijsen, Atouba (65. Benjamin) - Jarolim (81. Kompany), de Jong - Demel, Trochowski (57. Olic) - van der Vaart – Guerrero

Drama galore in Wolfsburg

The Wolves and HSV drew 1-1 in a round 25 Bundesliga clash at the sold out VOLKSWAGEN ARENA on Saturday afternoon. The real drama however came late in the game, as no less than four players were sent off during the final ten minutes. Huub Stevens will now struggle to form a defence against Bielefeld next weekend, after de Jong picked up a 5th booking and Kompany and Mathijsen were both given their marching orders.

Unchanged HSV
Home coach Felix Magath made one change to his side which lost 0-2 away to Bayern in the semi-final of the DFB Cup in midweek. Up front Edin Dzeko (rather surprisingly) got the nod over first choice striker Grafite. HSV coach Huub Stevens kept faith with his team which beat Borussia Dortmund 1-0 at home in round 24 of the Bundesliga.

The first goalmouth action came after only two minutes as de Jong could only clear the ball to Marcelinho, who let fly from inside the HSV area, but Reinhardt got his body in the way to clear the danger. On 7 minutes de Jong was booked for a clumsy challenge. It was his fifth yellow card, and he will be suspended for the round 26 game against Bielefeld.

Reinhardt grabs his second of the season
On 14 minutes HSV won two successive corners. Trochowski curled the second on into the Wolfsburg area and onto the head of the unmarked Reinhardt, who rose to easily head home from close range to give the visitors the lead with his second league goal of the season.

No goal
On 19 minutes, Ljuboja broke to the byline from where he crossed to Dzeko lurking in the box. The Wolves striker fired wide with a shot on the turn. Moments later the home keeper Benaglio raced out of his goal and reached the ball ahead of van der Vaart. Boateng followed up with a shot from the rebound, but the Wolves keeper dealt with the danger well, getting back into goal in time. Four minutes before the end of the first half Dzeko netted for the Wolves, but was called back by match referee Kinhöfer who had spotted a hand ball beforehand. HSV led 1-0 at the break.

Present from the birthday boy...
On 52 minutes HSV gifted Wolfsburg their equalising goal, as Trochowski lost possession to Gentner on the edge of the HSV area. The ball bobbled to Ljuboja, whose shot from 17 metres was slightly deflected on its way past HSV keeper Rost and into the net. Trochowski paid the ultimate price for his blunder and was replaced by Olic after 57 minutes, despite the fact that is was the 24th birthday of the Germany midfielder.

After 70 minutes the legendary HSV hero Magath decided it was time for a double change. The Wolfsburg coach brought on Grafite for Ljuboja and the former HSV midfielder Laas for Gentner.

Four late dismissals
Things got heated towards the end of the game. First of all Alex Madlung was rightly sent off for pulling down Guerrero on 80 minutes. That decision sparked a chain of dismissals, as referee Kinhöfer gave Kompany a second yellow card only six minutes after the Belgian came on to replace Jarolim, before sending off Grafite and Mathijsen with straight red cards in the final minute of the game.

On the balance of play a draw was about the right result. But the match will be remembered for the late drama and the multitude of dismissals.

Both teams maintain their unbeaten records, but both will be without key players next weekend.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2008, 17:38
Premier Player

what exactly did Kompany do?

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2008, 20:42
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel, 25:17 View Post
what exactly did Kompany do?
2 tactical fouls within 6 minutes - not very clever...

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2008, 21:00
Premier Player

damn, he has to get his act together ...

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2008, 14:09
Star Player

Seems that Kompany has a lot of trouble with Huub Stevens, he blamed him to play the wrong tactics in the cabin and also with van der Vaart, Kompany accused him of being engaged too much in seeking a new club than to play for HSV in the ongoing Bundesliga season. It was reported that Kompany and vdV exchanged arguments in the half time of the last Bundesliga match...
Stevens suspended Kompany for one match.
Though i'm with Kompany in both cases, he first must question himself because his performances in the past weeks were pure s*it. Our season seems to end in a total desaster, the team is playing as bad as it was playing under Doll through 06/07...

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2008, 15:23
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Any idea who will be the new coach yet ?

I can understand Kompany his accusations though. He played sort of left midfielder this weekend. Not that that's the reason of his bad performances, as he isn't performing since months now. Guess the loss of his mother also still haunts trough his head.

Hopefully it will get better with the new coach next year, who gives him the confidence and let him play on his position.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 16:06
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA View Post
Any idea who will be the new coach yet ?

I can understand Kompany his accusations though. He played sort of left midfielder this weekend. Not that that's the reason of his bad performances, as he isn't performing since months now. Guess the loss of his mother also still haunts trough his head.

Hopefully it will get better with the new coach next year, who gives him the confidence and let him play on his position.
Well, Kompany only once played as left midfielder ( in Stuttgart) when Stevens changed his system from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-2-1. Against Duisburg he played in the CM as usual and in the 2nd half he switched into the central defense where i prefer him to play.

Don't know who will be new coach, we are in negociations with Houllier but he still has to convince his wife as it seems ...

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2008, 11:39
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
"Wenger wil Kompany naar Arsenal halen"
Arsenal heeft nog altijd een oogje op Vincent Kompany. De Engelse club biedt volgens de geruchtenmolen 20 miljoen euro voor de Belgische international.

Trainer Arsène Wenger kende Kompany al toen hij nog bij Anderlecht speelde, maar onze landgenoot trok naar Hamburg.

De Duitse ploeg kan gouden zaken doen. Hamburg haalde Kompany in de zomer van 2006 voor acht miljoen euro.

Kompany heeft nog een contract tot 2012 bij HSV. In de Duitse pers houdt hij alvast de lippen stijf op elkaar.

"Ik heb daarover niets te vertellen. Dat heb ik in Anderlecht geleerd", zegt de verdediger/middenvelder.
English tabloids say Arsene Wenger wants to include Vincent Kompany to Arsenals next seasons squad. A transfer tag of €20 million is mentioned

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2008, 16:24
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Vincent Kompany - Manchester City

Man City agree deal for Kompany
Manchester City have agreed a fee to sign Belgium international defender Vincent Kompany from Hamburg, according to the German club.

The 22-year-old defender who has played 23 time for his country and began his career at Belgian club Anderlecht.

Kompany is regarded as one of the brightest central defenders in Belgian football and if confirmed would be manager Mark Hughes's third signing.

So far Hughes has signed striker Jo and defender Tal Ben Haim. Jo arrived from CSKA Moscow at a cost of £18m, while Ben Haim came from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2008, 17:26
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Richards, Ben Haim and Dunne ... I don't think he'll get that much playing time, or it should be as a midfielder

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2008, 17:39
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue @ngel View Post
Richards, Ben Haim and Dunne ... I don't think he'll get that much playing time, or it should be as a midfielder
Maybe (propably) at Fernandes his side

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:55
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: the one you like to h8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaineCowboy View Post
Oh how do I remember "de tijd dat de dieren spraken" also known as "De tijd der Fabelen"....

In this time everyone including the press saw little 'Vince' playing at Arsenal, Barcelona, Chelsea, Inter Milano and he would make Anderlecht countless millions...

Now Vince is transferred to Hamburg, a nice club but not top, but then again the involved player isnt either, because if he was that good why didnt Bayern buy him instead of the belgian NT benchwarmer Van Buyten...

Something I posted 2 years ago. So now is the time where I glaot at the simpletons who believed he was a top prospect and where you have to admit that Kompany is a horrible defender and hardly world-class.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:27
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee View Post
Something I posted 2 years ago. So now is the time where I glaot at the simpletons who believed he was a top prospect and where you have to admit that Kompany is a horrible defender and hardly world-class.
²

In a midfield position I still give him a chance though, his technique still remains brilliant. But as a defender, he'll be eaten alive in the English league.

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2008, 12:08
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Kompany: I Didn't Know Team-Mates' Names
Belgium international Vincent Kompany impressed in his first game as a Citizen and claimed the man of the match award despite only taking part in one prior training session, and not knowing the names of his team-mates.

"I just loved it. I enjoyed it 100 per cent - lots of duels, lots of energy," the 22-year old is quoted by the Times as saying.

"I signed two days ago, trained once and today I played and didn't know their names. During the game I learned their names, learned how everyone plays," he continued.

"It was a lot of fun. I wanted to play an intelligent game and try to do my best for the team. I loved it in midfield but a job had to be done in defence," Kompany said, reflecting on Mark Hughes' decision to move him from midfield into defence so that he could cover Micah Richards who left the game nursing a knock.

"That's why the trainer [Hughes] took me, because he can count on me in different positions."

"I'm just happy with the result," he concluded.

Manchester City defeated West Ham United by three goals to nil.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2008, 05:01 Thread Starter
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Premier Player

Teams: The mighty Belgian NT
I've been watching a show on Setanta lately, Football Matters, and practically every week Vincent Kompany was mentioned as being a great transfer by the guests in the studio (usually coaches and former players), but this week the guy who'd analysed City-Liverpool called him absolutely worldclass . He was praising him for keeping Gerrard out of the whole match, the clever way he did this and still being involved in City's attacking play.

I've seen all but 1 or 2 of his matches so far and it's true, he does great so far. You'd think he can grow further with this City side once the bigger signings will arrive.

Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβάμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος.

Justice is judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong but is also the way we try to save them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in