Thomas Vermaelen - Arsenal FC - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 16:45 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Thomas Vermaelen - Arsenal FC

ASTON VILLA CLOSING IN ON AJAX DEFENDER VERMAELEN
Reports back in April suggested that Premier League outfit Aston Villa were interested in signing Belgian defender Thomas Vermaelen, and the Villans are now reportedly ready to make an offer for the centre-back.

According to Algemeen Dagblad, Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill visted Ajax's league match against Twente at the weekend to have a last look at the defender before tabling a bid.

The interest dates back from Ajax's 2-1 UEFA Cup defeat against Aston Villa in October 2008. Vermaelen scored the Amsterdam outfit's goal and impressed with a strong display.

It remains to be seen though whether Ajax will let go of the 23-year-old. Vermaelen's current Ajax deal expires in 2012 and the Amsterdam outfit have made it clear that they consider Vermaelen to be an important first-team member.

The Belgian international has made 98 league appearances for Ajax since making his official debut in 2003/04.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 15:07 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

ARSENAL EYE BELGIAN DEFENDER THOMAS VERMAELEN
Arsenal are set to make a £7.5million bid for Ajax defender Thomas Vermaelen.

Manager Arsene Wenger received glowing reports about the Belgian-born Vermaelen and has had him checked by leading members of his scouting staff.

The feedback has been positive on the Ajax skipper, who can play in central defence or at left-back.

Wenger is set to take steps to reinforce an Arsenal defence which he conceded last week lacked the solidity of champions Manchester United.

Since he lost William Gallas through injury at the end of February, Arsenal have looked vulnerable at the back - and Wenger pinpointed that failing as the glaring difference between his team and United.

Wenger said: "In attack we have scored almost as many goals as United, but we have let in more." Vermaelen would be a welcome addition to his defensive options.

He is 23 and has shown such leadership qualities that he was appointed captain this season.

He has also established himself as a regular in the Belgian national team - and he is also versatile, another trait that Wenger admires.

Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2009, 13:13 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

VERMAELEN IN THE DARK OVER POTENTIAL ARSENAL MOVE
Ajax defender Thomas Vermaelen, currently away representing Belgium in the Kirin Cup, has confirmed that a move to the Premier League is very appealing, but Arsenal, the club rumoured to be keeping tabs on his progress, are yet to contact him or his representatives.

"I do not know much,” Vermaelen told Setanta Sports, when quizzed about the potential switch.

"I’m busy with my own season and after that I have the Kirin Cup.I hear it [the rumours], but I can say little about it. It would be nice, but I’m not there yet."

Vermaelen did acknowledge the considerable appeal of a move to England, a country where football occupies an undisputed place as the most popular of the nation's sports, and a nation where the Belgian feels the game is still played in the right manner.
"For a long time actually,” he replied, when asked just how long he had wanted to play in the nation of the game's birth.

"The Premier League is attractive to me. We played against Aston Villa [in the UEFA Cup] and the game was played the way it should be. For the public it is the number one sport."

Arsenal have made no comment about whether the player is a target or not, though many have pointed out that seeking reinforcement for a shaky looking defence should be one of Wenger's priorities this summer.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2009, 18:25 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

ARSENAL SIGN AJAX STOPPER
Sport.co.uk understands Arsenal have completed the signing of AFC Ajax centre back Thomas Vermaelen for a fee believed to be in the region of £10 million. According to sources inside the club, the deal for the Belgian international will be confirmed in the next 48 hours.

The 23-year-old moved to Ajax in 2004 from Antwerp outfit Germinal Beerschot and has since played 85 times for the Amsterdam giants as well as accumulating 21 caps for his country.

The news comes only hours after former Arsenal captain Tony Adams revealed that he had watched the player on behalf of Arsene Wenger but hinted that despite his obvious quality his physical attributes may let him down.

"I think Thomas is a very good player but I don’t think he’s ready for the Arsenal," Adams told Setanta.

"I don’t think the punters at Arsenal would like another small one.
"I don’t know whether he’ll end up going for a bigger player. We’ll see how much money we’ve got first.

"I have been looking at the Dutch league, but to be honest with you it’s been decimated.

"It’s a poor league at the moment, there’s one or two players but they’re leaving too early as well."

>> http://www.sport.co.uk/

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2009, 13:36 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

VERMAELEN COY AS GUNNERS CLOSE IN
As negotiations between Ajax and Arsenal continue regarding a potential summer transfer, Belgian defender Thomas Vermaelen is reluctant to comment on whether he will move to Emirates Stadium.

Vermaelen, 23, has emerged as a likely summer signing for The Gunners as Arsene Wenger finally looks to recruit the commanding centre back that he first identified as a priority 12 months ago.

Players such as Brede Hangeland and Giorgio Chiellini have been mentioned as potential signings but strong reports in both Belgium and England claim Arsenal are in direct talks with Ajax regarding Vermaelen.

A figure of £10 million has been mentioned but it is believed that some hard negotiating from Arsenal has ensured that talks have failed to come to a swift conclusion.

Vermaelen, with a potentially lucrative move to The Premier League in the offing, is understandably reluctant to speculate on where his future lies.

“Officially I still know nothing,” Vermaelen told De Standaard. “I leave everything to my agent. Personally I have no voice.”

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2009, 17:29 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

WENGER IN £10 MILLION MOVE FOR VERMAELEN
Arsene Wenger agreed a £10million deal for Ajax centre-back Thomas Vermaelen yesterday but is still unsure about who will partner him at the heart of Arsenal's defence next season.

Though his agent Soren Lerby was still negotiating personal terms last night, Vermaelen seems certain to sign a four-year contract at The Emirates after convincing the Arsenal manager he has the credentials to shore up a defence that was repeatedly found wanting last season.

In the coming days there will be more talks,' Vermaelen told Algemeen Dagblad. 'Moving to Arsenal is the right path for me. It is a great sporting challenge and I will also be financially better off. I think everything is going to be okay.'

Vermaelen has been on Arsenal's radar for months, after Wenger pinpointed central defence as his side's weakest area, and is heading for The Emirates after making nearly 100 appearances for Ajax and being capped 21 times by Belgium.

Sources in Belgium have expressed surprise at Wenger's interest, particularly after a recent interview with former Arsenal skipper Tony Adams on setanta.com. Adams, who has been scouting for Arsenal since being sacked as Portsmouth manager, referred to Vermaelen's height, at 5ft 11in, and said: 'I think he is a very good player, but I don't think he is ready for the Arsenal. I don't think the punters at Arsenal would like another small one.'

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2009, 17:31 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

VAN PERSIE ROLLS OUT WELCOME MAT FOR THOMAS VERMAELEN
Robin van Persie is delighted Arsenal are reportedly close to signing Belgium international Thomas Vermaelen from Ajax.

The 23-year-old defender is thought to be discussing personal terms with the Gunners after a fee of 12million euros was agreed between the clubs.

'It's a good thing,' Van Persie told De Telegraaf. 'There's nothing wrong with the qualities of Vermaelen. He can play as left-back and central defender and we need this type of player.

'The guys that we now have on those positions are already somewhat older.'

Van Persie admits he does not know a lot about Vermaelen but added: 'Our head scout does and he doesn't do such a thing out of the blue.

'He needs to see a player 30 to 40 times before a decision is made.'

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2009, 09:43
Premier Player

Teams: Club Brugge, 1.FC Union Berlin
Bailly at Bayern

Vermaelen at Arsenal

Hazard at Barcelona

Dembele at Chelsea

If they al play this would be perfect

http://youtu.be/id5miD_uZDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0Re9aBJt4

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2009, 09:45
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
Seriously, in a few years with all those talents developing and Dick as coach, you surely must become a solid European side.

I for one hope you do well.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2009, 12:13 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

THOMAS VERMAELEN SET FOR ARSENAL MEDICAL
Arsenal hope to complete the £10 million signing of Ajax defender Thomas Vermaelen by the end of the week, with the Belgian defender due to undergo a medical at the Emirates Stadium tomorrow.

"On Friday I will fly to London to have my medical. After that I hope to put pen to paper," said Vermaelen, who can play as either a centre or left-back.

"I feel so proud, Arsenal is a fantastic club and one that, as a child, I enjoyed watching play. Arsene Wenger stands for nice, attacking football and dares to work with young talents. That appeals to me enormously.

"Not that that tipped the scales though. When a club like Arsenal stands at your door, then you just go. When I get to the Emirates Stadium on Friday I will be hugely impressed.

"A lot will change in my life. Next season I will come up against the best strikers in the world. I am not scared by that, I will give all my body can give. This is one of the most beautiful days of my life."

Vermaelen, who is the captain of Ajax, moved to the Dutch league in 2004 and has made over 100 appearances for the club.

Wenger has prioritised the need to improve Arsenal's defence, although his plans will be affected by whether AC Milan take up the option to buy Philippe Senderos after a year-long loan at the San Siro.

"As far as I am concerned I would like to stay in Milan because I do not think that there is a place for me at Arsenal," said Senderos.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2009, 17:08 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

THOMAS VERMAELEN COMPLETES MOVE TO ARSENAL
Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Belgian international defender Thomas Vermaelen has joined the Gunners from Dutch Eredivisie side Ajax on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

Vermaelen (23), who was the Ajax club captain last season, made his first team debut for the Dutch club at just 18, after playing at Youth level for Belgian side KFC Germinal Beerschot. During his 143 appearances with the Amsterdam side, Thomas, who is predominantly a central defender, gained experience in both the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League including two appearances against Arsenal in the 2005/06 Champions League Group Stages. He has made 21 appearances for Belgium, now being a regular in his country’s set-up since making his full international debut in March 2006.

During his time with Ajax, the club won the Dutch League Championship in 2003/04, with Vermaelen also winning the Dutch National Cup on two occasions (in 2006 and 2007) and the Dutch Super Cup twice (in 2006 and 2007).

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “Thomas is a great signing for Arsenal Football Club, and we are all delighted that he is joining us. Thomas is a solid performer with good experience of Champions League and UEFA Cup football and is also a regular with the Belgium national team.

Thomas is primarily a left-footed centre back, but he’s multi-functional and can also play at left back. He is strong technically with a positive winner’s attitude and I have no doubt his arrival will strengthen our team. Thomas Vermaelen will be a huge asset to Arsenal.”

After completing his move to the Gunners, Vermaelen said: “Firstly, I have to say that I’m sad to be leaving Ajax and I would just like to thank everyone for their help and friendship towards me over the past eight years.

“I’m just so happy to be joining Arsenal. This is a great Club with a world class manager, high quality players and a fantastic stadium. Everything is set up for Arsenal to be very successful for years to come and I joined this Club because I know Arsenal will be challenging for trophies.

“I have had a good taste of the Champions League during my time with Ajax and this is something I am looking forward to experiencing again with Arsenal. I’m also looking forward to playing in the English Premier League, which for me, is the best league in the world. Also, I just want to assure the Arsenal fans that I will give everything for this Club and I hope we can enjoy winning some trophies together next season.”

Thomas will join up with his new team-mates for pre-season training in early July.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2009, 18:17
Star Player

Teams: Arsenal
how do you rate vermaelen? i havent seen much of him but if wenger is willing to spend 10million on a cb he must have something about him. strengths and weaknesses?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2009, 18:31 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quite surprised he moves directly to Arsenal. Thought he would make a move to a club luke Aston Villa for example before moving to the real top.

He's not slow, has a good tackle and is a decent centre back. He's good with his head and will surely score some goals at corner kicks or free kicks. Also his passing is quite good (Dutch school, you know ).

Vermaelen is the kind of centre back who hasn't real weaknesses. He rarely makes huge mistakes. Overall seen he's really a good defender, but I do have my doubts if he's ready for Arsenal yet to be honest. He has the potential to succeed at Arsenal though. It will be the question how soon he can adapt to the English way of playing, against big strong strikers, as he doesn't seem to have that strength yet which is needed to fit in the EPL.

What makes him interesting are his leadership capacities I guess. He was Ajax captain in the last half of last season and seems to be someone who can arrange a defence.

I do hope though Wenger sees him as a centre back. He has played several games at left back for Ajax and our national team and it's just clear that's far from his natural position.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2009, 18:36
Star Player

Teams: Arsenal
cheers mate
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2009, 11:54
Star Player

Teams: Dutch football
Gary Lineker followed the Eredivisie last season and rated Vermaelen the best defender in the end of his conclusions and he also thought that his playing style would suit the English Premier League well.

"Always look on the bright side of life"
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2009, 22:32 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2009, 11:07 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

THOMAS VERMAELEN SET FOR FULL ARSENAL DEBUT
Summer recruit Thomas Vermaelen will play against Everton in Arsenal's first game of the new Premier League season.

The ex-Ajax defender missed the Emirates tournament and subsequent game against Valencia in pre-season so looked doubtful to make the opening clash of the new campaign.

However, manager Arsene Wenger confirmed that the Belgian's absence against Valencia was simply precautionary.

“He is very close,” Wenger told the club's official website.

“If we had wanted to take a gamble then we could have played him [against Valencia] but we did not want,” the Arsenal manager continued.

“He should be available for next weekend.”

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2009, 00:57
Rising Star

Teams: R.Antwerp F.C. , F.C. Barcelona
He scored in his debut
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2009, 03:58
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Premier Player

Teams: The mighty Belgian NT
Yeah not only scored but also played very well imo (even though Everton were absolute shit).

Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβάμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος.

Justice is judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong but is also the way we try to save them.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2009, 15:02 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Daily Telegraph: The aspect that may have pleased Wenger most was the performance of Thomas Vermaelen, the new centre-back derided for a lack of height, who towered over every other player on the field. His reading of the game is expert, his tacking ferocious, his distribution flawless. He took everything Jo, Marouane Fellaini and Tim Cahill could throw at him. Arsenal’s fans sang his name inside the first 15 minutes. That may be some sort of record.

News of the World:
Vermaelen's excellent debut may have eased such fears. The Belgian oozed class with his early touches, and is evidently a ball-playing defender. If he provides a foundation as this every week, the rest of the Premier League knows how once Arsenal get into their stride, they're joyous.

Goal.com: Thomas Vermaelen: 7.5 - A composed Premier League debutant. Used his legs well to frustrate a Leon Osman run. Impressively quick to quell danger. Free header led to his goal.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in