Belgian Referees: An encyclopedia of fumbles ... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2008, 03:09 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
Belgian Referees: An encyclopedia of fumbles ...

I have been gone from Belgium for too long, seeing only summaries of games, to really judge on it, but I still read often about referee fumbles. This weekend again all online papers covering Club-RSCA were saying how badly De Bleeckere has done.

Just out of interest, how is the level of refereeing in Belgium right now? Any bright prospects apart from Nzuolo (that is his correct spelling, right?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2008, 11:50
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
San Marinese level

Nzolo isn't that great, he just has that smile making him sympathic between players and colleagues.

As you say, we see fumbles week after week. The biggest problem is that most referees aren't consistent in their decisions, and do judge on reputation.

To pick the example of FDB of last weekend:
- I can understand the two yellow cards of Frutos in a way, but why doesn't Simaeys gets a red card for standing on Frutos his arm ?
- I can understand you know Wasilewski as a butcher, but why does he get yellow for barely touching Dirar ?
- I can understand you know Karel Geraerts as the ideal son-in-law, but why doesn't he get a yellow in the first half for some pure spelbederf (bringing Boussoufa down by pulling his shirt while Anderlecht had a nice counter possibility) ?

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2008, 12:12
Premier Player

Teams: Club Brugge, 1.FC Union Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA View Post
I can understand the two yellow cards of Frutos in a way, but why doesn't Simaeys gets a red card for standing on Frutos his arm ?
Probably cause the referee didn't see?

http://youtu.be/id5miD_uZDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0Re9aBJt4

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2008, 12:31
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel, 25:17 View Post
Probably cause the referee didn't see?
Nzolo saw it

He immediately, even before Frutos grabbed Simaeys leg, pointed at those two players to make FDB aware of the situation

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2008, 11:11 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
In such decisions though, if the ref has not seen anything, the linesman should always be consulted. A lot of referees still rarely or not communicate with the linesmen.

I still am a heavy proponent of technical aid in football. Tennis and ice hockey for example embraced technology ages ago, I wonder why football is not doing it.

That said, Belgian league has never been a good place for quality refs. Does anyone remember the likes of Pots, Amand Ancion, etc? I remember attending KV Mechelen-Aalst as a kid, Ancion gave 4 red cards + about 16 or 17 yellow ones + sent one of the coaches to the stands as well. Nobody talked about the teams or the players afterwards, even at the press conference the only subject of conversation was the referee.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2008, 16:44
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: the one you like to h8
Nzolo is tolerated because he's the token black guy. Otherwise he's average at best. FDB and Gumienny are wank as well. I thought Johny Ver Eecke was a much underappreciated ref and I think currently Tim Pots is the best among the newer faces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in