Travelling Ideas, Experiences, ... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2008, 21:41 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
Travelling Ideas, Experiences, ...

Hi guys... Calling in from Türkiye. I am in Istanbul for a full week and although I haven't had chance to access internet during the first couple of days I have not forgotten about you all.

Been very busy. Yesterday boat trip on the Bosphorus + visit to Taksim. Today visited the Blue Mosque and the big oriental shopping bazaar + dinner on the Bosphorus promenade. I met a really nice American girl who did not know the city yet and I have guided her through all these places (and I kept myself decent, don't worry!)

Tomorrow I am off to some other city districts with some other hidden pleasures that may or may not include lube (because my hotel door is beginning to worry me and I may need lube to get it working properly again... what else for?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 18:03 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

And I keep on travelling... Calling in from Prague this time. So far the cliches have been confirmed: the prices are cheap, there are gorgeous women everywhere, and the hostels are dodgy. Although that latter is still allright in my case...

Anyone been here before and has some sightseeing advice ?

PS: when I say cheap, then I mean cheaper than the average Western European city. My hostel is quite cheap, but not everything is that cheap. I just went eating pizza and paid about 6 euro, which is more than I usually pay in Berlin. It also took me a while to find a cheap hostel, as most ones charged about 30 to 40 euros. Luckily I could cut something off the price by zwartrijden on the subway

Anyone has hints about what to see or do in the city? By that I mean: nice buildings, maybe a goth orientated place for the evenings, ...
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 18:17
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures View Post
Anyone has hints about what to see or do in the city? By that I mean: nice buildings, maybe a goth orientated place for the evenings, ...
Charles Bridge and the Prague Castle ?
Strahov Stadium ?
Church of St Nicholas ?
St. Vitus Cathedral and Belvedere ?
Strahov Monastry ?
Breznov Monastry ?
Petrin park ?
Have a laugh at all those people looking wondered by the The Orloj ?
Nove Mesto and Stare Mesto ?
Big Sister ?
Vinohrady ?
The Golden Lane ?

I don't know about Goth pubs as I'm not the kind of person who visit such places

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 18:39 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Wow, longer list than I expected Can you, as you obviously been to this place before, point me in the right direction? Like what subway station should I leave for the main sights?

I hope most sights are within walking distance so that I do not need to constantly hop on and off subway stations.

Also, if someone knows the areas where food is actually cheap, please tell me, as I heard the more central you go the more expensive it gets to eat a simple pizza...
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 19:11
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Wow, longer list than I expected Can you, as you obviously been to this place before, point me in the right direction? Like what subway station should I leave for the main sights?

I hope most sights are within walking distance so that I do not need to constantly hop on and off subway stations.

Also, if someone knows the areas where food is actually cheap, please tell me, as I heard the more central you go the more expensive it gets to eat a simple pizza...
We took a cab most of the time, so I fear I can give you the information you need for taking the subway.

You might say we are crazy, but we didn't look at any relatively cheap food. We went to a restaurant daily, but I really can't remember any prices anymore. Anyhow, we didn't really have a closer look at prices before entering a restaurant.

This is a great page to see other interesting places in Prague by the way.

If you need to take the subway regularly, take such a 3 day pass. When I was planning my trip I saw they had such passes

The receptionist of our hotel gave us a subway plan and showed us the places we asked for. Propably you could do the same. Just tell them what you want to visit and he'll gladly help you I guess

Ow, and ... We saw that our local dialect is known in Prague:

Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 21:02 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

I will ask hotel reception, good idea. I arrived only 4 PM today, and am too tired to hit the town now, but tomorrow I am going sightseeing. Is the city center (historical area) relatively small or are the monuments spread all over the city? Could I do all sights in 2 days time or is that too short?

PS... damn the women. I had already visited Poland but this is even more impressive And they have no shame about how god has shapen them
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 21:09
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Damn

It's time we encounter Sparta or Slavia in a European game, I want to to go Prague

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Ręve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 21:25
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
I will ask hotel reception, good idea. I arrived only 4 PM today, and am too tired to hit the town now, but tomorrow I am going sightseeing. Is the city center (historical area) relatively small or are the monuments spread all over the city? Could I do all sights in 2 days time or is that too short?
All sights ? No ... The one I mentioned: Yes

Most monuments you will find in the Stare Mesto. But the Stare Mesto isn't small at all. If you really want to see everything, you might have to start early and stop late on the day

Quote:
PS... damn the women. I had already visited Poland but this is even more impressive And they have no shame about how god has shapen them
I know My eyes haven't worked any harder then when being in Prague

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 21:43 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Stare Mesto is like a city area? In that case I will ask in the subway for that area, leave there and then walk around all afternoon there. I bought a new memory card for my digital camera so I can have 450 pics

I met a charming Spanish lady in my hostel who is also a gothic fan, she may know where to go for some gothic music at night.

Oh, when it comes to those women... I was a bit disappointed first when I saw my hostel doesnt have showers in the rooms but just cabines next to each other. My disappointment changed when I realised the shower rooms are mixed, so with a bit of luck a nice young lady leaves the cabin next to me while still naked and wet
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 21:50
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Stare Mesto is like a city area? In that case I will ask in the subway for that area, leave there and then walk around all afternoon there. I bought a new memory card for my digital camera so I can have 450 pics
Prague consists of fifteen districts, numbered from Praha 1 to Praha 15. Praha 1 is the oldest part of the city and the area where more travellers spend their time. Praha 1 can be further divided into the following five areas:

* Old Town (Staré Město)
* The Lesser Quarter (Malá Strana)
* New Town (Nové Město)
* Jewish Town (Josefov)
* Castle (Hradčany)

The other 14 districts can be organised into the following geographic areas.

* Northern Prague - Praha 7, 8, 9
* Eastern Prague - Praha 3, 10, 14, 15
* Southern Prague - Praha 2, 4, 11, 12
* Western Prague - Praha 5, 6, 13

Quote:
Oh, when it comes to those women... I was a bit disappointed first when I saw my hostel doesnt have showers in the rooms but just cabines next to each other. My disappointment changed when I realised the shower rooms are mixed, so with a bit of luck a nice young lady leaves the cabin next to me while still naked and wet

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2008, 21:55 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

OK, so Praha 1 it will be. I hope it is manageable in walking distance, because the public transport (which includes bus, tram and subway) seems a bit complicated. If I do the old town and new town I will probably have done most interesting sights, and the article says the city is a lot smaller than most other capitals. Still, if it is full of monuments I guess my afternoon will be easily filled

PS I am a healthy man, and eyes are made to see
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2008, 11:45 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Must say you were right about Prague, it is a beautiful city I strolled through the old town and new town yesterday, with the Charles Bridge and its idyllic views as absolute highlight. Only Prague Castle is still on my list as my camera battery was flat after the old and new town districts. But the narrow streets of the new city and their little restaurants were top of the bill At least I think it was the new city, I was confused where was new city and Malá Strana. The small streets between Charles Bridge and the Castle on the hill, those were the best parts of the city. Been into the jewish quarter as well although that was not that special IMO, not compared to the other areas anyway.

As for women, I will not further comment, but I must admit I had a dream this night which included a sex scene .... No further details on general request
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2008, 12:17
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Prague stays my n°1 in cities I've visited yet, but it's narrowly followed by Wien since last year

Those tiny streets are very nice indeed, but pay attention when it gets dark for pickpockets.

Now just Riga, Budapest and Sofia are on my wishlist.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2008, 12:21
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA View Post
Prague stays my n°1 in cities I've visited yet, but it's narrowly followed by Wien since last year

Those tiny streets are very nice indeed, but pay attention when it gets dark for pickpockets.

Now just Riga, Budapest and Sofia are on my wishlist.
Wien is a wonderful city indeed ... one of the best away games I did

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Ręve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2008, 19:38 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

I have before considered spending some time in Wien. It seems hard to find a good job though and expensive to live... But a wonderful city. Going back to Turkey or going off to Scandinavia is still on top of my wanting list, but working permits and limited nr of vacancies make that quite hard.

PS here in Prague I saw a vacancy for an international company transporting oil and... lube. Imagine me as a lube salesman in a country full of gorgeous women?
Me: "Goodday Miss, I am here to deliver your lube order"
She: "Are you really sure this is the lube I ordered?"
Me: "If you wish, I can test it with you?"
(in case customer is masculin, then my answer is "I have no time as other customers are waiting")
post #16 of 99 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2008, 10:33 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Damn, I was robbed for 120 euro I am now waiting in the internet cafe next to the police office, where I have an apointment in one hour to report the theft. They assured me the security cameras in the train station saw it all and that they will have the thief right away (as if I must believe that, that guy is probably long out of the city or has spent the money before the cops could trace him)... Lets see now if the police is really my friend like they always say ; if they are and they saw the theft happening on camera, then they should friendly give me 120 euros back, simple as that. To search for the stolen money is looking for a needle in a haystick, by the time they find this guy he has long spent the money anyways...
post #17 of 99 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 08:52
Premier Player

Teams: Club Brugge, 1.FC Union Berlin
Damn thats shitty, luckily you have the gorgeous women to cheer you up...

Im in Berlin right now, spent some time in Czech Republic (border region Doubice) last weekend and i have to say the women over there are amongst the ugliest i have seen in my life

Guess they all moved to Prague

http://youtu.be/id5miD_uZDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0Re9aBJt4

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."
post #18 of 99 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 12:47 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

In Prague they are beautiful, one after another. Gorgeous women everywhere literally. But well, you do have a point there. The thing is, Prague has one of the best employment rates in central Europe, both for finding a job or university education it is the best city not just in Czech Republic but in the entire area. So many many young Czechs from other cities move to Prague as soon as they want to start university or find employment.

You should visit Prague, it is a gorgeous city. You do get arroused a bit now and then, but in the hotel you can always use your hands in the shower so that all evidence of your act is immediately flushed away. Washing your hands clean, literally

what strikes me is how openminded Czechs are. Apart from Berlin I lived in nothing but conservative places before (Belgium is conservative apart from a few big cities, Ireland idem dito, Istanbul is conservative except for the cosmopolitan areas in the European city area). In Czech women and men share shower rooms and toilets, cannabis smoking is going unnoticed and nobody cares, there is no taboo on things like sex, it is so cosmopolitan that colour of skin or nationality is of no importance to anyone, ... I love that. I am anti-conservative myself and it pleases me to see a really progressive city, a bit of hope in these dark days when Europe becomes more right-wing. I love Prague

Has anyone ever been to Glasgow? I ask because I noticed employment opportunities are quite good there as well. I am just curious because I would like to move to yet another country in the near future (one year in the same city is enough, and I dont feel like going back to a place I already lived). I noticed on international job websites that Scotland and Czech Republic have booming economies. I have visited Glasgow before but it was a short trip and during a bad time of the year (it was winter and very rainy) so I got no really reliable image of the city. Does anyone know if it is a good place? Note: I have watching Scot football for many years so I know all about that, it is the city life itself that I am unfamiliar with, is there a bit of culture and nice things to do and see or is it basically a nightlife town only?
I doubt it could be any better than Prague though, I really loved it.

Last edited by Crackedpleasures; September 9th, 2008 at 12:54.
post #19 of 99 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2008, 18:47 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Just curiosity, but how does a Canadian end up supporting Bosnia-Herzegowina? Or are you of Bosnian descent?

No critics by the way, just interest. I would be hypocrite to criticise someone supporting another country than his own, I support other a few countries more than Belgium myself...
post #20 of 99 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2008, 18:55
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
Quote:
Just curiosity, but how does a Canadian end up supporting Bosnia-Herzegowina? Or are you of Bosnian descent?

No critics by the way, just interest. I would be hypocrite to criticise someone supporting another country than his own, I support other a few countries more than Belgium myself...
I'm Bosnian lol I was born there too just left when the war started.
Bosnians are displaced all over the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in