Your opinion on Bart Deelkens - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2000, 17:39 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

Bart Deelkens is the keeper of Westerlo. The goallie, who is only 22, is doing his maiden-year. Still in almost every poll his named as one (not to say the) best players in Belgium.

It's unquestionable that he has won a lot of points for his team. Some games he was just wall for the opponent team. Just think of his game at Charleroi.

Now I haven't seen him live, but still I doubt if he's as good as everybody claims he his. To me he seems to be a keeper that depends on his reflexes more than he depends on technique. He mostely punches the balls away than he holds on to them (how do you say klemvast in English ).
Specially in the beginning of the season he made some obvious mistakes.

So I mean I 've put him in my "best-so-far-team" although I wanted to pick De Wilde, but that would have started another discussion. Others have chosen Runje, who I also don't like, but why haven't they picked Deelkens.

What do you think of him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2000, 23:31
Premier Player

I saw Deelkens once in a full game at STVV. He played a good game. He denied STVV from some good scoring chances and made a good impression. In that game he was really good in corners. He is rather tall and because of that he mostly had the ball safely in his hands with most of the corners.

He was also very good in anticipating situations back then. He doesn't fears to come out of his goal and play behind his defence.

But like you said somtimes he is to quick with punching the ball wildly away but that's because he is still young and is afraid to make mistakes when trying to hold the ball in his hands..

Another young goalkeeper that impressed me is Davy Schollen from STVV. ALthough i don't believe he will ever make it as one of the best in Belgium he makes good saves and has some stunning reflexes from time to time.

Maybe if Brockhauser played more games at Genk i would have choosen him as the best goalie until now ..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2000, 13:03 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

I read before the season that Schollen is maybe the biggest keeper-talent in the country, but so far he ahsn't impressed me at all. It's the same thing as with Deelkens but more extreme. Sometimes Schollen has the most impressive saves, but always based on reflexes. On the other hand he doesn't seem to be reliable yet. He made some big mistakes in holding a ball. For me that's what makes a good keeper: someone who sometimes wins points for hios team but never loses any.

Schollen is definitelyt talented but I think he will need much more time. I don't think the guy is 20 years old

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2000, 14:00
Premier Player

Schollen is 22 years. He is a discovery from formal coach Poll Peeters who saw him at Hoegaarden. He deserves a lot of credit i think because it's the first year he plays at the highest level and comes from a team out of very low division (provinciale reeksen). He is also still combining his studies with his career. Therefor he can't train all the time with the first team. I'm sure if he can train more he will only grow. But it's nice he still gets confidence from his trainer because he learns a lot by playing many games.

But there aren't many keepers in Belgium that are still very good in 'reading' a game IMO. Almost all of them have to rely on their reflexes on the line..

ANd i'm not sure but sometimes i have this feeling the goalkeepers are just trying to make their saves spectacular and therefor they punch the ball away instead of trying to get a hold on the ball

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in