[EC '08 Austria - Switzerland] Even though we aren't there ... - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Who will win the EC 2008 ?
Czech Republic 0 0%
Portugal 2 13.33%
Switzerland 0 0%
Turkey 1 6.67%
Austria 0 0%
Croatia 1 6.67%
Germany 6 40.00%
Poland 1 6.67%
France 0 0%
Italy 1 6.67%
Holland 2 13.33%
Romania 0 0%
Greece 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
Spain 1 6.67%
Sweden 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 16:01 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
[EC '08 Austria - Switzerland] Even though we aren't there ...

... the show will go on !

Group A

Czech Republic
Portugal
Switzerland
Turkey

Saturday 7 June 2008

18:00 Switzerland vs Czech Republic
20:45 Portugal vs Turkey

Wednesday 11 June 2008
18:00 Czech Republic vs Portugal
20:45 Switzerland vs Turkey

Sunday 15 June 2008
20:45 Switzerland vs Portugal
20:45 Turkey vs Czech Republic

Group B

Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

Sunday 8 June 2008
18:00 Austria vs Croatia
20:45 Germany vs Poland

Thursday 12 June 2008
18:00 Croatia vs Germany
20:45 Austria vs Poland

Monday 16 June 2008
20:45 Poland vs Croatia
20:45 Austria vs Germany

Group C

France
Italy
Holland
Romania

Monday 9 June 2008
18:00 Romania vs France
20:45 Netherlands vs Italy

Friday 13 June 2008
18:00 Italy vs Romania
20:45 Netherlands vs France

Tuesday 17 June 2008
20:45 Netherlands vs Romania
20:45 France vs Italy

Group D

Greece
Russia
Spain
Sweden

Tuesday 10 June 2008
18:00 Spain vs Russia
20:45 Greece vs Sweden

Saturday 14 June 2008
18:00 Sweden vs Spain
20:45 Greece vs Russia

Wednesday 18 June 2008
20:45 Greece vs Spain
20:45 Russia vs Sweden

Quarter Finals

Thursday 19 June 2008
20:45 Winner Grp A vs Runner-up Grp B

Friday 20 June 2008
20:45 Winner Grp B vs Runner-up Grp A

Saturday 21 June 2008
20:45 Winner Grp C vs Runner-up Grp D

Sunday 22 June 2008
20:45 Winner Grp D vs Runner-up Grp C

Semi Finals

Wednesday 25 June 2008
20:45 Winner QF1 vs Winner QF2

Thursday 26 June 2008
20:45 Winner QF3 vs Winner QF4

Final

Sunday 29 June 2008
20:45 Winner SF1 vs Winner SF2

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 16:06 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

So, what are our expectations for these European Championships ?
  • Which country is the big favourite ?
  • Which country will surprise ?
  • Who do we support ?
Personally I think it will go between Germany (big favourites for me), Italy and France. Apart from that I expect much from Cristiano Ronaldo. He had a great season and I'm curious if he can keep up his form during these EC. I expect Croatia to surprise, however we can't really talk about a surprise anymore. Apart from them also Russia can get far in this tournament. I don't expect much from the hosts to be honest.

Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #3 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 16:10
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Which country is the big favourite ? Italy
Which country will surprise ? Holland
Who do we support ? Nobody ... a EC without England simply isn't worth watching

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."

post #4 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 16:56
Premier Player

Which country is the big favourite ? Portugal/Germany
Which country will surprise ? Russia or Sweden
Who do we support ? Sweden and Holland

Winner of the Xtratime Champions Cup 2006/2007
Winner of the XCC PL 2006/2007
8th in the XCC PL 2007/2008
2nd in the XCC PL 2008/2009
Semi-finalist Xtratime Champions Cup 2009/2010
2nd in the XCC PL 2010/2011, 2011/2012 and 2012/2013
post #5 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 17:51
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue @ngel View Post
Who do we support ? Nobody ... a EC without England simply isn't worth watching

Why would we need them?

Their football is sh1t. The fans only are there to cause trouble, if you think they create a good atmosphere, have a look at for example the Croatian or Turkish fans, much better. The English are always drunk, provoking and looking for trouble. They don't show respect to anyone.

I'm very happy they aren't in this summer.

Reckon most Belgian (at least from Vlaanderen) will support the Dutch, no?
Although we're probably out after round one this time.
post #6 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 18:23
Premier Player

Teams: Germinal Beerschot, Avenir Beggen!!
* Which country is the big favourite ? I'm going for Germany (Netherlands have coaching/player personality problems, they will dissappoint I think)
* Which country will surprise ? Turkey
* Who do we support ? Netherlands, Swiss, Germany.

post #7 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 19:05
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoert View Post
Why would we need them?
I don't say we need them, I say I need them ... quite logical since I'm a fan of them, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoert
Their football is sh1t. The fans only are there to cause trouble, if you think they create a good atmosphere, have a look at for example the Croatian or Turkish fans, much better. The English are always drunk, provoking and looking for trouble. They don't show respect to anyone.
:rollani:

Croatian fans don't cause trouble indeed

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #8 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 19:26
Rookie

Teams: RSC Anderlecht, Eendracht Aalst
* Which country is the big favourite ? Italy
* Which country will surprise ? Poland
* Who do we support ? Sweden & Czech Republic
post #9 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 19:36
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Quote:
I don't say we need them, I say I need them ... quite logical since I'm a fan of them, doesn't it?
It was a reaction on the question, who do we support.

Anyway, have you got English roots?

Otherwise, who do you sympathize with them?

Quote:
Croatian fans don't cause trouble indeed

No also they aren't angels. Also never said that.

What I wanted to make clear, missing the English supporters isn't a loss as there are many other fanatic supporters represent in Switzerland and Austria.

On another note; do you know the story behind that picture?
post #10 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 19:43 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Reckon most Belgian (at least from Vlaanderen) will support the Dutch, no?
I will support Spain and Portugal though. I love the way they play this game.

Got to say I will cheer at least one game for Holland. I just hope you can eliminate France, but I do also hope Romania to go trough. They have quite a nice team with some great technical players

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #11 of 166 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 21:38
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
Quote:
It was a reaction on the question, who do we support.

Anyway, have you got English roots?

Otherwise, who do you sympathize with them?
You don't need that. I support Israel and Norway instead of Belgium despite being 100% Belgian in origin. But I never felt like Belgium was my one home, I never felt patriottic, while Israel and Norway are the countries of my dreams so I prefer supporting them rather than the country of birth.

If Blue Angel has his reasons for supporting England (whatever they may be) then he doesn't need to justify those to anyone. Even if he has no English roots, that doesn't mean he is not entitled to support them. Anyone should just support whoever he wants.

I have nothing against Belgium's team, but I feel no emotion whatsoever. I support the countries I hope to move to in the future. I don't feel I should justify that choice. Same goes for Blue Angel.

anyway...

* Which country is the big favourite ? Germany or Italy
* Which country will surprise ? Croatia (and as outsiders often do it at the Euro, I think they will win this tournament)
* Who do we support ? simple. Turkey. Of all countries I lived in my life, Turkey was the best and with the nicest people. With Israel and Norway not qualified, I support Turkey.
post #12 of 166 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 10:25 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Group A - Matchday #1

Switzerland - Czech Republic
St. Jakob-Park [Basel]- 07/06/08 18H00

Finally the waiting is over. Almost two years since Switzerland last played a competitive match, the co-hosts kick off UEFA EURO 2008™ against the Czech Republic determined to hit the ground running.

High hopes
Köbi Kuhn's side departed the 2006 FIFA World Cup with a whimper, failing to score a single penalty in their shoot-out defeat by Ukraine in the last 16. Now they need to begin with a bang. A positive result will galvanise a nation approaching the tournament more in hope than expectation. Kuhn said the supporters will act as a "12th man" in the tight confines of St. Jakob-Park and as he embarks on the final challenge of his coaching career, the 64-year-old is excited by the prospect of what lies ahead.

'Enthusiasm'
"In training we have played with great enthusiasm, commitment and desire," said Kuhn. "It's great fun to be with this squad, to prepare for the EURO and to get started. The first match is absolutely vital. It is going to be difficult, we're aware of that, but we'll try to play the best football we can and try to win every game." Kuhn's preparations have been overshadowed by serious illness to his wife Alice, but he has drawn strength from the support of those around him. "Everyone stands behind me and supports me wherever they can and that gives confidence."

Home truths
Switzerland's co-hosts Austria will be watching with interest to see how their neighbours fare. Of all the countries to have staged the tournament since 1984, only Belgium in 2000 have not reached the semi-finals. Home advantage, though, has its downsides too. Portugal froze as Greece crashed their opening party in Porto four years ago and the Czech Republic will be looking to do the same thing here.

Rosickı missed
Coach Karel Brückner, though, has had to adjust his side following the withdrawal of captain TomᚠRosickı through injury last month, and he is still keeping his revised XI a closely guarded secret. "We have various alternatives but I'm not going to discuss that further," said Brückner, whose team were semi-finalists in 2004. "Our players are ready. We're well-prepared and have an experienced team." Brückner, who like Kuhn will step down at the end of the tournament, has a full squad to choose from with the exception of flu-victim Zdeněk Pospěch, and should start with Václav Svěrkoš and Stanislav Vlček either side of Jan Koller in a 4-3-3 formation.

Müller concern
Koller recently became the Czech Republic's all-time leading scorer, an achievement matched by Alexander Frei for Switzerland last week. Frei's availability after injury gives Switzerland a huge lift, as does the return of attacking midfielder Tranquillo Barnetta from an ankle problem. There is more concern over the side's third linchpin, Patrick Müller who is still not at full fitness having torn cruciate ligaments in December. Switzerland are a different team with the 31-year-old's steadying presence at centre-back and Kuhn will talk with him before deciding whether he plays. With Portugal and Turkey lying in wait in Group A, neither side can afford to fluff their lines on first night.

REFEREE: Roberto Rosetti (ITA)

PREDICTION: Off course I prefer personally the Czech Republic, as there are 3 Anderlecht players in the squad, but I'm quite sure they won't have an easy evening. Switzerland isn't a real big opponent, but they are quite hard to beat. The Czechs will have to cope with the absence of TomᚠRosickı which caused a huge loss of creativity. If we may believe Jan Polak, Jan Koller wants to prove something in his last tournament, and showed already in the last friendlies to be decisive.

I expect a Czech win: 0-1

Portugal - Turkey
Stade de Geneve [Geneve]- 07/06/08 20H45

Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari was in bullish mood on the eve of his side's opening UEFA EURO 2008™ Group A match against Turkey at the Stade de Genève.

'Winning mentality'
The charismatic Brazilian, who steered hosts Portugal to the final in the 2004 edition, said: "We have an extremely talented squad with a midfield which is the envy of almost every team in Europe. To do well at a tournament like this you have to believe you will be there until the bitter end. I know we are good enough to win this tournament, but right now we have to focus on the first match. We lost our first game against Greece four years ago and put a great deal of pressure on ourselves. A victory would be the perfect start to get us in the winning mood."

Brazilian blend
Scolari is no stranger to facing Turkey in the finals of a major tournament having twice encountered them during his tenure as Brazil coach at the FIFA World Cup in 2002. "I have a lot of respect for the Turkish team," he said. "They play like a South American team – fast-flowing football backed by a great coach [Fatih Terim]. Most people expect us to beat them but they forget Turkey lost very narrowly to my Brazil team in a World Cup semi-final. They are strong starters so we must be careful."

Ronaldo threat
Portugal are expected to play a 4-3-3 formation with Petit sitting in front of a defence of Bosingwa, Ricardo Carvalho, Pepe and Paulo Ferreira, allowing João Moutinho and Deco the freedom to push forward from midfield to support their attack. The major talking point in the Portuguese press concerns which of their wing quartet will provide the ammunition for lone striker Nuno Gomes. Scolari has toyed with the idea of using Ricardo Quaresma on the left but the smart money is on Simão to start there with Cristiano Ronaldo weaving his magic down the right.

Marking mission
Turkey coach Terim's biggest headache will be taming the seemingly unstoppable Ronaldo as he squares off against left-back Hakan Balta. "It's not about just one man marking him," said Terim. "You defend as a team and I am not going to criticise one player for failing to stop Ronaldo. He is the best player in the world but we have practised a number of systems which will help contain him."

Familiar look
Terim admitted that there will be no major surprises in his starting lineup. "We have a number of systems up our sleeve but we will not make any radical changes," he said. "We haven't beaten Portugal since 1955 but we have reversed the tide before and why not this time?" With Volkan Demirel's outstanding form for Fenerbahçe SK ensuring his selection ahead of Rüştü Reçber between the posts, and Nihat Kahveci now stepping into shoes of record scorer Hakan Şükür, Turkey are an entirely different proposition to the side Scolari got the better of in 2002. Perhaps this new generation are destined to end that 53-year wait for victory against Portugal.

REFEREE: Herbert Fandel (GER)

PREDICTION: As an admirer of technical football the Portuguese boys are surely one of my favourite teams. Watching the ones like Cristiano Ronaldo, Quaresma, Moutinho is just a joy for football fans like me. Apart from that they are surely one of the tournament favourites. Even though Scolari praises Turkey a lot, and even though they have a very nice team, I can't see them beating the Portuguese wonderboys. In the more difficult games someone like Cristiano Ronaldo is able to break open the game with one of his wonderful actions or with the kind of free kick he has been successful yet several times last season.

I expect a Portuguese win: 2-1

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #13 of 166 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 12:35
Star Player

Teams: BRUGGE Celtic,Schalke,VCF - Belgium, Slovenia
* Which country is the big favourite ? France has the most balanced team on paper, but in the words of Francky Vercauteren, da papier, da kennen we. So the Germans and the Italians will end close as well, I think.
* Which country will surprise ? Too close to call, enough candidates with the Russians, the Rumanians, maybe even the Croatians and the Dutch
* Who do we support ? I'll be following a few teams (Russia, Croatia, Holland), but no real preference (yet).

'There has never been anything false about hope.' (Barack Obama)
post #14 of 166 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 14:03
Highly Evolved
International

I mainly want Turkey to win tonight, but I don't see it happening and I follow Tom's prediction.

For Switzerland-Czech Rep I expect the host nation to win. Although I do like the Czech team somewhat, I fear they will have a disappointing tournament as several key players of the last tournaments are absent or over their peak. I predict a Swiss victory: 2-1.
post #15 of 166 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 16:29 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

A quote to remember from Aadje Afkoopsom: 'Switzerland is a EC title candidate'

I reckon Switzerland have a good team, but to be considered title candidates ? No, not really.

On the other hand, who thought Greece would become EC 4 years ago ?

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #16 of 166 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 16:49
Highly Evolved
International

Switzerland could get far, unlike Austria. I don't see the Swiss win it, but they definitely will survive the first round I think. I fear Turkey is too inconsistent to qualify and the Czechs have had their best period several years ago, so I think Portugal and Switzerland will qualify. And who knows, once past that first round, a well organised team like Switzerland could get even further. Not winning no, but I definitely give them a chance to reach the quarter finals.

Austria on the other hand may set a record of goals against them in an official tournament.
post #17 of 166 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 19:00 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA View Post
I expect a Czech win: 0-1
Tom's Predictions 1
Missed Predictions 0

The Czechs didn't really deserve it though. Switzerland deserved at least a draw, even a win ...

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #18 of 166 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 22:06
Highly Evolved
International

Deserved win for Portugal But I still had a great time, watching it on giant screen in a cinema hall full of Turks Turkey played very well the last 15 minutes but overall Portugal was better so I am honest enough to admit the result was deserved. But if Turkey plays with the same spirit they can get a result versus the Swiss and maybe (?) the Czechs. I do think Portugal will win the group easily, they have a really talented squad with an impressive midfield.
post #19 of 166 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 08:39
Premier Player

Teams: Club Brugge, 1.FC Union Berlin
Which country is the big favourite ? Italy Germany
Which country will surprise ? Russia
Who do we support ? Germany (german girlfriend, so no choice )

http://youtu.be/id5miD_uZDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0Re9aBJt4

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."
post #20 of 166 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 13:30 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Group A - Matchday #1

Switzerland - Czech Republic
St. Jakob-Park [Basel]- 07/06/08 18H00

RESULT: 0-1
GOALS: 71' Sverkos 0-1

SWITZERLAND: Benaglio - Lichtsteiner (75' Vonlanthen), Senderos, Müller, Magnin - Behrami (83' Derdiyok), Inler, Gelson, Barnetta - Streller, Frei (46' Yakin)

CZECH REPUBLIC: Cech - Grygera, Ujfalusi, Rozehnal, Jankulovski - Jarolim (87' Kovac), Galasek, Polak, Sionko (83' Vlcek), Plasil - Koller (57' Sverkos)

REFEREE: Roberto Rosetti (ITA)

Portugal - Turkey
Stade de Geneve [Geneve]- 07/06/08 20H45

RESULT: 2-0
GOALS: 61' Pepe 1-0, 93' R.Meireles 2-0

PORTUGAL: Ricardo - Bosingwa, Carvalho, Pepe, Ferreira - Deco (92' Meira), Petit, Moutinho - Ronaldo, Gomes (69' Nani), Simao (83' Raul Meireles)

TURKEY: Volkan - Servet, Gökhan (55' Asik), Hakan, Hamit Altintop (76' Semih) - Aurelio, Emre, Kazim - Tuncay, Mevlüt (46' Sabri), Nihat

REFEREE: Herbert Fandel (GER)

Code:
1. Portugal              1     1     0     0     2-0     3
----------------------------------------------------------
2. Czech Republic        1     1     0     0     1-0     3
3. Switzerland           1     0     0     1     0-1     0
4. Turkey                1     0     0     1     0-2     0

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in