Some advice... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 18:29 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Some advice...

On Sunday I want to visit a match in Belgium, but I cannot choose, so my easy question, which one would you choose, if you were quite a neutral fan?

Only restriction, it must be possible to travel by public travel in one day from Holland .

2e klasse;
K.FC.VERBR.GEEL - R.EXCELSIOR VIRTON
K.FC.VIGOR WUITENS HAMME - KV.RED STAR WAASLAND
R.ANTWERP FC. - K.LIERSE SK.
R.UNION ST.-GILLOISE - R.FC.TOURNAI
K.MSK.DEINZE - KV.OOSTENDE
K.AS.EUPEN - R.OC.DE CHARLEROI-MARCH.
K.SK.BEVEREN - KV.KORTRIJK
A.FC.TUBIZE - K.UNITED OVERPELT-LOMMEL
OUD-HEVERLEE LEUVEN - UR.NAMUR

Antwerp - Lierse of course the best one, they're playing for a playoff spot if I'm not mistaken (?). But visited this match last season already during the playoffs.
Visited already Union and Eupen, so what's left, maybe Beveren or Leuven?

3e klasse A
K.DIEGEM SPORT - TORHOUT 1992 KM.
K.SK.RONSE - K.RC.MECHELEN
R.ACS.COUILLET - K.LONDERZEEL SK.
K.STAND.WETTEREN - R.AA.LOUVIÈROISE
R.RC.PERUWELZ - K.SV.SOTTEGEM
VC.EENDR.AALST 2002 - R.FRANCS BORAINS
FC.N.SINT-NIKLAAS - K.VC.WILLEBROEK-MEERHOF
K.RACING WAREGEM - K.SV.OUDENAARDE

3e klasse B
KV.TURNHOUT - K.BOCHOLTER VV.
R.RC.HAMOIR - K.FC.RACING MOL-WEZEL
CS.VISÉ - R.WHITE STAR WOLUWE FC.
R.CS.VERVIÉTOIS - EXC.VELDWEZELT
R.FC.SÉRÉSIEN - K.FC.DESSEL SPORT
R.CAPPELLEN FC. - R.SPRIMONT COMBLAIN SPORT
K.SPORTCLUB TONGEREN - R.FC.DE LIÈGE

Visited already Seraing, Verviers and Visé.

4e klasse A
K.EENDR.OPSTAL - K.VK.IEPER
K.SK.WEVELGEM CITY - K.SV.DIKSMUIDE
K.WS.CLUB LAUWE - VERBROEDERING MELDERT
VG.OOSTENDE - SPORTING W.I.HARELBEKE
K.SINT-ELOOIS-WINKEL SP. - K.FC.IZEGEM
SC.WIELSBEKE - K.SK.L.TERNAT
K.OLSA BRAKEL - SK.ST.P.OPWIJK
K.E.APPELTERRE-EICHEM - K.SK.MALDEGEM

4e klasse B
TEMPO OVERIJSE - K.SK HEIST
K.RUPEL BOOM FC. - K.FC.EENDR.ZELE
K.TUBANTIA BORGERHOUT VK. - KFC.EVERGEM-CENTER
K.SV.TEMSE - K.FC.SCHOTEN SK.
R.RC.GENT-ZEEHAVEN - R.LÉOPOLD UCCLE FC.
K.LYRA TSV. - K.SV.BORNEM
K.SC.GRIMBERGEN - K.BERCHEM SPORT 2004
K.OLYMPIA SC.WIJGMAAL - KV.WOLUWE-ZAVENTEM

4e klasse C
FC.VERBR.MEERHOUT - K.SK.HASSELT
K.OVERPELTSE VV. - K.WITGOOR SPORT DESSEL
R.FC.HUY - VV.THES SPORT TESSENDERLO
RCSJ.DE GRIVEGNÉE - HOOGSTRATEN VV.
K.FC.ST.-LENAARTS - K.PATRO EISDEN MAASMECH.
K.ESK.LEOPOLDSBURG - RJS.BAS-OHA
K.VV.HEUSDEN-ZOLDER - K.FC.LILLE
R.FC.HANNUTOIS - SPOUWEN-MOPERTINGEN

4e klasse D
R.ENT.BERTRIGEOISE - RFC.TURKANIA FAYMONVILLE
R.ES.COUVIN-MARIEMBOURG - R.SPA FC.
R.SC.PATURAGEOIS - SC.PETIT-WARET
JS.TAMINOISE - R.SOIGNIES SPORTS
URS.DU CENTRE - R.FC.MEUX
R.JEUN.AISCHOISE - R.U.WALLONNE CINEY
FC.BLEID - R.W.WALHAIN CG.
R.FC.MALMUNDARIA 1904 - ES.JAMOIGNE

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 19:02
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
Rupel-Boom has a great stadium and a fanatic support, and still a chance to win the league at home (but they depend on Gent dropping points). Easy as well with public transport: go to Antwerpen-Centraal train station, walk 5 minutes to the bus station and the bus will take you to Boom in less than 15 minutes.

SK Ronse-RC Mechelen could be the title match for Ronse (they need 1 point) and they play the nr 3 so I expect a very crowded stadium. Negative point: the stadium is in the middle of nowhere, so you'd need to change trains a few time and take another bus connection - leaving very early in the morning and preparing for a 4 or 5 hours travel required.

Leuven faces Namur battling for survival. Good stadium, very easy per public transport, and a fantastic city to drink on a crowded terrace in the city center after the game.

In case you purely want an attractive game: go for Ronse-Mechelen if you don't mind a long travel, or for Rupel Boom.

If you want a nice environment/nice day out and the city is equally important as the game: go for Leuven or even Malmundaria.

Beveren could be very atmospheric with Kortrijk being champions and Beveren having a good support as well, but none of both have anything left to play for.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 19:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Cheers very helpfull!

Was thinking of visiting Boom or Leuven in the playoffs which maybe would be more exciting?

Talking about this, anyone knows where to find the exact dates / times? Is that announced already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures View Post
Leuven faces Namur battling for survival. Good stadium, very easy per public transport, and a fantastic city to drink on a crowded terrace in the city center after the game.
The stadium is based in Heverlee, no? What's the best way to get there, a bus from Leuven central trainstation?

Quote:
If you want a nice environment/nice day out and the city is equally important as the game: go for Leuven or even Malmundaria.
Was thinking about them as well, Malmedy!

Had to take a train to Trois-Points from Liege and then a bus to Malmedy, it's still a possibility, but probably a very dull match I think.

The stadium isn't that bad for a 4th league team...

About Ronse, fear it's too far for a one-day trip, it takes 1.35 mins from my hometown to Maastricht (cross the border at Visé --> Liege) or 2.15 to Roosendaal (Essen --> Kapellen --> Antwerpen), also I'm limited because on Sundays the first and last trains aren't very early / late.

Still planned to do a 'south-Belgian' weekend some day, once the west, Kortrijk / Roeselare / Mouscron and once the area around Charleroi / La Louviere / Namur. Perhaps then I can pick Ronse too...

Last edited by Knoert; May 9th, 2008 at 19:43.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 19:48
Highly Evolved
International

1) OHL stadium is on the border of Heverlee and Leuven, the pitch is partly on Leuven's territory and partly on Heverlee's territory But Heverlee is part of the city of Leuven ("deelgemeente") and the stadium is just next to the ring around the city center. Couldn't be easier to get there. From the train station, just turn left and follow the Ring around the city, you don't even need to make a single turn left or right It is a 40 minute walk I guess, maybe faster if you walk fast. Otherwise ask a bus driver which bus to take, but with this good weather and with all terraces in Leuven very crowded (it is a very vibrant and cosy city) you can just as well walk and enjoy a glass of beer in the sun while you're on your way.

2) Malmundaria is advisable only if you want a nice day out in general instead of just a football day out. Malmundaria's stadium is very nice (should be good enough for D2) and has some very nice views on the mountains surrounding the area. Malmedy is, with nice weather, very cosy with a lot of little streets with people enjoying a glass on a sunfilled terrace. It is very cosy and a very nice day out. But the game will be quite dull as none of both teams have anything left to win/lose. If you however want a nice day trip and more than only a football game, it can be recommended.

Also, Gent-Zeehaven can win the title at home. I like that club a lot, I am from Ghent originally but always prefered RC Gent (and Avrasya Gent, the Turkish team) rather than AA Gent. However, Gent-Zeehaven doesn't play in the same stadium anymore as when I still lived in Belgium, so I cannot really say if their new stadium is worth visiting. The city itself is of course beautiful, but Gent-Zeehaven is in Oostakker which is an industry-filled suburb. I never visited the new stadium myself as I already left Belgium when Gent-Zeehaven moved to their new stadium.

As I said, purely for the game, Ronse-Mechelen is your best bet for an exciting game in a crowded stadium. But Ronse is a very boring city and the stadium is difficult to reach, so it would be really a football-only trip. If you choose another option you can make it a day trip with more than only football.

But anyway, whatever you choose, enjoy the game
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 20:05 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Thanks again!

Quote:
However, Gent-Zeehaven doesn't play in the same stadium anymore as when I still lived in Belgium, so I cannot really say if their new stadium is worth visiting. The city itself is of course beautiful, but Gent-Zeehaven is in Oostakker which is an industry-filled suburb. I never visited the new stadium myself as I already left Belgium when Gent-Zeehaven moved to their new stadium.
This is interesting...

On their official site www.krcgent.be ('de club' 'locatie') they write this;

Het Emanuel Hielstadion te Gentbrugge is al sinds 1905 de thuishaven van de Ratjes. Geen enkele andere club in België speelde zo lang in hetzelfde stadion! A-kern, B-kern en Juniors spelen en trainen er momenteel nog.

Op termijn is het de bedoeling dat we met heel de club (ook A-kern, B-kern en Juniors) in Oostakker terecht kunnen. Trouwe Racingers verlaten het Emanuel Hielstadion met spijt in het hart. Toch zal de verhuis op termijn een goede zaak zijn voor de club. De Stad Gent werkt aan een volledig nieuwe accomodatie. Hierbij zullen twee stadions, dat van onze club, dat nu wordt gebruikt door de jeugd, en dat van S.K.V.Oostakker, dat daar net naast ligt, worden omgebouwd tot één modern stadion dat aan al onze behoeften tegemoet komt. Voor de laatste ontwikkelingen omtrent deze verhuis, kan je hier steeds terecht.

On the other hand, in this report from other groundhoppers --> http://home.planet.nl/~halbe107/Hiel.htm (seasons '06/'07)

Normaal gesproken zijn wij niet erg actief in de lagere regionen van het Belgische voetbal. De publieke belangstelling is meestal zo gering dat wij het niet de moeite waard vinden om daar een 700 kilometer voor te rijden. De oudere stadionnetjes zijn vaak wel het bezoeken waard, dat doen we dan zonder wedstrijd als voorafje aan een wedstrijd in 1e of 2e Klasse. Voor fusieclub Gent Zeehaven werd een uitzondering gemaakt. Van een doelman kwam het nieuws dat de club het oude stadion aan de Emanuel Hielstraat gaat verlaten. Gent Zeehaven gaat vanaf komend seizoen spelen op een terrein in Oostakker waar nu al de jeugdteams spelen.

On www.footbel.com they put this as adress;
TERREINEN
Provincie Nationale
Naam : Cmp. R.C.Gent-Zeehaven
Adres : Em. Hielstraat, 106
9050 Gentbrugge

Wouldn't they still play in their old stadium? At least according to their official site and the KBVB site they do...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 21:15
Highly Evolved
International

They play in Oostakker now as far as I know (told by other groundhoppers), both their own site and the info they passed to KBVB seem to be outdated unless those groundhoppers talking to me were wrong themselves. In the Hielstadion there is now nothing but athletics AFAIK. That was the whole plan: to have 1 stadium only fot athletics and 1 stadium only for football, instead of using 1 stadium for multiple sports (like they did before).

I haven't been at the one in Oostakker, I did visit SKV and FC Oostakker, but probably it has been completely rebuilt since RC Gent plays there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2008, 19:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Ok, that's clear, but then read this, put on their official website few days ago... about the match versus Ukkel.

De Ratjes konden in de tweede helft op Schoten de scheve situatie op heroïsche wijze ombuigen in een prachtige overwinning. Een zege die een enorme mentale boost teweegbracht bij supporters, spelers en bestuur. Op zondag 11 mei ontvangen de Ratten, het wonderbaarlijk herrezen Léopold Ukkel in het Emanuel Hielstadion. Een match met inzet op twee fronten. Léopold Ukkel moet winnen om de kansen op behoud gaaf te houden én de Ratjes moeten winnen om de titel te pakken. De jongens van trainer Bart Mauroo moeten het hoofd koel houden in dit zenuwslopend competitieslot De wedstrijd uit de heenronde eindigde op een ruime, maar hardbevochten 0-3 overwinning voor de Ratjes. Benieuwd of de Ratjes de laatste thuismatch winnend kunnen afsluiten?

Probably I'm going to Gent, just arrive there on time and if they don't play at the Hielstadion I probably just move on to Oostakker .

Do you know what's the best way to get at the Hielstadion from central train station Gent-St. Pieters?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2008, 21:27
Highly Evolved
International

Yep, take the regional train direction Eeklo and leave at Gentbrugge (which is the "deelgemeente" where the Hielstadion is) or take bus 21 or 22 until Gentbrugge. From the tram/train stops in Gentbrugge it is only a 5 to 10 minute walk to the stadium.

Gentbrugge is the heartland of Gent's football. Apart from AA Gent and the Hielstadion, there's some amateur clubs having a ground there as well:
- VSV Gent and RC Gentbrugge both play a stonethrow away from the Hielstadion (you will pass the town hall of Gentbrugge, turn left there and 2 minutes later you see the two grounds)
- next to the church of Gentbrugge-center you have a long avenue "Gentbruggekouter" where the former ground of Sparta Gent and immigrant team Nieuw Ledeberg is situated. Not sure if anyone uses it right now as the ground is often flooded during winters and rainy times. Next to this ground the remainders of another old amateur team's ground can be seen, you can still see a goal post and a canteen (covered with high weeds)
- previously there was also a ground in the swamps of the Koningsdonk (a swampy area with forest and a castle) but I believe this ground is no longer existing. Not entirely sure though.

And Gent is a fantastic city so if you are early enough and take tram 21 or 22, leave at the Veldstraat and you can walk around in the city center for 1 or 2 hours. It is full of canals and old medieval houses, really a nice city. I grew up there so for me it is not that special anymore, but first-time visitors will be impressed. Gentbrugge is a rather boring residential area but it has many football grounds.

PS: not entirely sure, but I am quite sure the train to Gentbrugge also goes from Gent-Dampoort, in that area you're approaching the port of Gent where you have a nice stadium. Formerly used by Meulestede, now used by Standaard Muide Gent. The stadium has 1 nice stand and spectacular surroundings with huge port infrastructure right behind the stadium.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in