Your ideal Belgian premier division - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2008, 19:15 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
Your ideal Belgian premier division

If you could select your ideal premier division, how would it look like?

Some rules though:
- 18 teams
- you can select the teams you wish from any possible level

So which 18 teams would you select in your ideal Belgian premier division?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2008, 19:24
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
- FC Bruges
- Standard de Liege
- KRC Genk
- AA Gent
- Germinal Beerschot
- Royal Antwerp FC
- Excelcior Mouscron
- Charleroi
- Zulte Waregem
- Lierse SK
- Sint-Truiden
- Westerlo
- Lokeren
- KV Mechelen
- Eendracht Aalst
- OH Leuven

Some doubts between Leuven and Beveren, but it looks like Leuven has a more decent board and more potential than Beveren, who have some support but absolutely no long term plan

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2008, 19:25 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
My pick (for some teams it was really easy, for some it was a more tough choice):

1. KV Oostende (obvious)
2. Club Brugge (for derby reasons)
3. Anderlecht (always interesting to play them, regardless of your opinion on them)
4. Cercle Brugge (for derby reasons)
5. KV Kortrijk (very tense derby for KVO with a lot of rivalry involved)
6. RC Gent Zeehaven (my favourite team from my native city... AA Gent doesn't attract me)
7. Standard Liege
8. Sporting Charleroi
9. OH Leuven
10. KAS Eupen (the first even German-speaking team in the top division)
11. Germinal Beerschot
12. Union St Gilles (most beautiful stadium in Belgium IMO)
13. RFC Liege
14. Rupel-Boom (for the friendship ties with KVO and their nice stadium)
15. Turkse Rangers (for very obvious reasons for me)
16. RE Virton (very nice away trip, idyllic little village)
17. Eendracht Aalst (not exactly sympathising with them, but they add colour to the league)
18. RAEC Mons

I realise some choices will be seen weird, but that is why I put some explanation behind them.

I left out clubs like KV Mechelen, RC Genk and the Waasland clubs, because they simply leave me cold and emotionless. I replaced them with a few lower league teams that I really have sympathies for.

I think my league is a sort of in-between of strong teams that fill the stadiums (the top-3 teams + other somewhat attractive top divisionists) and the other half are less obvious choices but just clubs I personally like.

I could have also included FC Kosova and Maccabi Antwerp where I have very strong sympathies for, but they would be committing suicide in the top division. The only provinciale team I included are Turkse Rangers because obviously I have a strong emotional connection with Turkey, and because in the Genk area this club could really grow big if they would be in a higher league.

I think only Turkse Rangers, Virton and Eupen may seem weird to some people, but like I said, I followed my personal sympathies here and not just rationalism and logics. The other 15 make sense to anyone I think, no?

OK; name your ideal 18

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2008, 22:30
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
1. RSC Anderlecht
However you want it or not, it's the most succesfull team in Belgian football history.

2. Standard de Liege
The rivalry among Anderlecht and Standard is the most important reason to have them in the first division. Even without the rivalry, it's by far the most beautiful away game of the season for me.

3. Club Brugge
Another big name. You can't leave out the big names in my opinion. Plus the more (possible) top teams the more competitive the league gets, which is an advantage if you have to play in the European Cups.

4. Union St Gillis
Why the hell would I add them ? Because Union - Anderlecht is the real big derby of Brussels. And you can't forget they are still the 3rd ranked team if we talk about championship wins.

5. R Antwerp FC
The first team of Belgium should be in the D1. Maybe with a new stadium, because I always had that feeling those stands could collapse any minute.

6. Sporting Charleroi
Also a very nice away stand and Anderlecht has quite a good connection with Charleroi. It was the club which gave Pär Zetterberg a real chance in the D1, something I'm still thankful about.

7. KAA Gent
A big city like Ghent should always have a team in the D1. With the Arteveldestadium coming and the great (financial) job they did over the last couple of years they should be able to close the gap with the real top clubs a bit more.

8. KV Mechelen
Also a club with quite some standing. Being champions for four times in their history I can't leave them out.

9. OH Leuven
Also a merged club, but one with a huge potential. They have everything to succeed in the D1 and maybe become quite a big club. The only thing they miss is a decent stadium ...

10. KRC Genk
Even though I can't stand that team you can't exclude them for their success the last couple of years.

11. RFC Liège
I still remember the days of Varga and Malbasa. They are quite famous for their great youth setup, which is quite important in a small country like ours. With their new stadium coming, they could be a nice addition to the D1.

12. Cercle Brugge
I might feel some sympathy for them since this year as their coach is Glenn De Boeck and maybe my favourite Anderlecht player of all time (Iachtchouk) is playing there. Apart from that I don't really have a connection with them. But it's always nice to have some heated derbies in the D1.

13. RC Mechelen
Because of the fierce rivalry with KV Mechelen ? No, because you already know those games will end in riots. Why then ? Well, RC is still one of those clubs having played the most season in the D1. And I kind of like their stadium too.

14. Eendracht Aalst
Propably I'm quite biased on this choice, as I feel quite come sympathy for them.

15. Sint Truiden
You can discuss what they actually add in the D1, and just like KRC Genk, I don't like this club at all, but they have some history ...

16. Berchem Sport
Been there last year and I quite liked their stadium. You also can't forget Berchem is still ranked 14th on the list of teams having played the most seasons in D1.

17. Lierse SK
Even thoug they lost quite some sympathy after the Ye-story, you can't leave a 4 times champion out of the D1.

18. KSK Beveren
Two times champions, but that's the only reason why I would add them.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2008, 00:37
Premier Player

Teams: Germinal Beerschot, Avenir Beggen!!
1.Germinal Beerschot (Seriously, bring back the Beerschot of the 1930's!!!)
2.RSC Anderlecht (ya ya, big club, gotta have them here)
3.Club Brugge (see above)
4.Cercle Brugge (Local derby is good for the league)
5.Standard (another must have, just because)
6.Antwerp (although it was with much satisfaction to watch them fail, it would be good to have them back so we can do it again)
7.Sporting Charleroi
8.RC Mechelen
9.Eupen (I have been rooting for them to make it up the past few years)
10.OH Leuven
11. KV Oostende
Don't really care about who else, although I would like
Grimbergen (good beer) Bornem (also good beer) Willebroek Meerhof (cool jerseys, sponsored by Duvel) See a connection???

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2008, 14:07
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: the one you like to h8
- Anderlecht
- FC Bruges
- Standard de Liege
- AA Gent
- Royal Antwerp FC
- Sporting Charleroi
- Zulte-Waregem
- Lokeren
- KV Mechelen
- KV Kortrijk
- RFC Tournai
- Cercle Brugge
- Union Saint-Gilloise
- ?
- ?
- ?
- ?
- ?

Perhaps Beveren and Genk or so too but basically I find the teams I didn't list shit.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2008, 20:10
Rising Star

Teams: R.Antwerp F.C. , F.C. Barcelona
As long as antwerp is in there , i don't care
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2008, 20:25
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafc
As long as antwerp is in there , i don't care
Let's say, 2065?

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2014, 13:06
Rising Star

Teams: KFCO Beerschot Wilrijk
First division

RSC Anderlecht
Club Brugge
Standard Liege
KRC Genk
KAA Gent
KV Mechelen
Antwerp
Beerschot
Charleroi
OH Leuven

Second division

SV Zulte Waregem
KV Oostende
Cercle Brugge
KV Kortrijk
Sporting Lokeren
Eendracht Aalst
Lierse SK
STVV
RAEC Mons
RFC Liège

I think 10 clubs is enough for a little country like Belgium. In Austria and Switzerland they do it also this way.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2014, 08:12
BANNED!
Rising Star

Teams: RWD Molenbeek - 1. FC Köln - Rotherham United FC
I'd go for a BeNe League formula with 8 Belgian and 12 Dutch clubs:

Anderlecht
Club
Standard
Genk
Gent
Lokeren (+/- merger to have a stronger club)
Essevee (+/- merger to have a stronger club)
Antwerp (it's beyond me that one of the biggest cities lacks a top tier team = start merging asap)

... then add the top Dutch squads. All need to be financially healthy, have a competitive squad, decent following/tradition, etc. I'd look forward to the new Dutch/Belgian rivalries, e.g. Anderlecht v Ajax, Genk v PSV, Antwerp v Feyenoord ... and of course Anderlecht, Club, Standard, etc. will still face each other too.

PS one of the objectives of the women's BeNe league was to evaluate if this formula could work for a men's top tier league ... we can expect a report in the current season and seeing that it has been a huge hit, I'm hoping the BeNe League will finally be realised.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in