Belgian women's football - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2008, 21:57 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
Belgian women's football

I am not sure people if other people are interested in this, but promoting the sport cannot do harm so I thought it deserves an own topic.

Anyway, back when I lived in Belgium, the league was dominated by two teams for a decade: Eendracht Aalst and Rapide Wezemaal. Eendracht Aalst won 4 league titles in a row in the late nineties, followed by a vice-title when their fellow city rivals Lebeke-Aalst won the title surprisingly.

Lebeke-Aalst however lost all the players after that one miracle season, and finished the last season at the very last place. Straight from winning the national league to relegating in the next year!
With Lebeke-Aalst out of the way and Eendracht Aalst losing connection with the top, it was Rapide Wezemaal who developped as the next top team. Wezemaal already came close to the national league title a few times, but each time they were narrowly beaten by the Aalst teams. With the Aalst teams out of the top, Wezemaal had very little competition and won another 4 titles in a row.

Traditional top teams who however have been without a league trophy for quite a while are Standard Femina Liege, and RSC Anderlecht (the former Brussels Dames 71, which was then taken over by RSCA).

This season it is all very tense on top, with Wezemaal still in the top of the league but having very fierce competition for the first time in years. Both Anderlecht and Standard have gained connection with the top again and are really threatening Wezemaal's dominance now.

Anyone else that follows the women's football? I don't really see more than results these days, but I sometimes (like once or twice a month) still check the league table.

Personally, I went to a lot of games before I emigrated. I often went to see a women's game on Saturday afternoon, and then watching KVO on Saturday evening on Sunday afternoon. The team that impressed me most was Eendracht Aalst who had some really good technically gifted players like Marijke Callebaut, Femke Maes and Nadia Dermul. I also remember Isabelle Deflem, Standard's goalkeeper who was both really good and really hot p Standard and Wezemaal also had some really good players but the names I cannot remember well. Standard was the only team to have a professional player in the league.

Anyone that has tried some games of the better teams will be pleasantly surprised that the level is rather good. Obviously a bit slower and less physical than men's football, but some of these girls are technically really good and can do amazing things with the ball.

I also plan to attend some women's games here in Germany. The women's league is, unlike the Belgian league, professional and most girls in the German Frauenbundesliga are full-time professional. Games often attract a few thousand spectators, and Turbine Potsdam (not far from Berlin) is one of the best teams.

To conclude this topic: this weekend there was a Belgian Cup weekend, and there was a top game between Wezemaal and Standard Femina. The Liege team won the game 1-2, and thereby again shows that Wezemaal's days of having no competition at all on top, are over.

And a PS: while not born in the area, my football heart is in Oostende so obviously my prefered women's team in Belgium would be Opex Girls Oostende. They had a talented squad and played top division for years, but then the money was gone and they decided that making debts was not an option, so rather than doing that they decided to continue playing with only local girls and without buying stronger players that would have cost the club money. Opex is in second division now and financially healthy, but they have a very young team with almost only girls from the direct area of Oostende.

Last edited by Crackedpleasures; February 3rd, 2008 at 22:03.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in