Other Sports Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 16:49 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
Other Sports Thread

What did you all think of the Belgian cyclocross championship? Too bad the promising young talent Albert didn't win, it was quite impressive how he came back very strongly after a leak wheel.

And frankly, I don't like Sven Nys. Who still remembers the "gesture" to Richard Groenendaal during the world cup a few seasons ago?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 16:54
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
It was a nice performance of Albert. Deserved the win in my opinion. Quite remarkable how Vervecken paced down Nys and Wellens.

I'm a Nys fan, I can't stand the ones like Wellens and Vervecken, and De Clercq in the past.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 16:58
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures
What did you all think of the Belgian cyclocross championship? Too bad the promising young talent Albert didn't win, it was quite impressive how he came back very strongly after a leak wheel.

And frankly, I don't like Sven Nys. Who still remembers the "gesture" to Richard Groenendaal during the world cup a few seasons ago?
Well, It was one of the best crosses this season. I'm a big cross fan, so I watch most of the races.

Nys deserved the win, but Albert stated that he is a big and upcoming talent. He already reached a higher level than Vervecken, Wellens and Vantornhout. We'll see lots of promising things from this lad in the future I predict

Nys, well, the guy is the best cyclorcrosser we ever had in my opinion. Everything looks so easy, the man is so professional in everything he does. He deserved the "sportman of the year" award more than Boonen

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 17:01 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

But didn't you think donating the world cup to a Dutchman was not really acceptable? Of course I am not saying we have to keep badmouthing Nys forever because of that. I have nothing against him but I'll also never be a fan.

I liked Super Mario De Clercq Everybody was against him but he often frustrated all the other crossers who were 10 years younger.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 17:03
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
But didn't you think donating the world cup to a Dutchman was not really acceptable?
Why not ? Groenendaal was in the best position to win that WC. SO I think it's normal Nys helps a hand to win it being his teammate.

Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 17:09 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

He was Groenendaal's teammate in regular crosses when they both cycle for Rabobank. However, in the world cup you are in a national team, so Groenendaal wasn't really Nys' teammate that day. Of course Rabobank pays their bills, not the Belgian cross federation. So I guess we should not be too hard on Nys.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 17:11
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
He was Groenendaal's teammate in regular crosses when they both cycle for Rabobank. However, in the world cup you are in a national team, so Groenendaal wasn't really Nys' teammate that day. Of course Rabobank pays their bills, not the Belgian cross federation. So I guess we should not be too hard on Nys.
And that's exactly what I mean

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 18:52
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: the one you like to h8
Quote:

I was there in St.-Michiels Gestel that day as a staunch supporter of local hero Mario De Clercq. Most of us could have killed Nys.
But I reckon , he paid his dues some years later and now I have mild sympathies for him and he's my 'favourite' racer but TBH to me it's not as interesting anymore since there's no one competing from around here. There was a big crowd though in Otegem which neighbours my village/town.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 13:45
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

So, the Australian Open has started this night. Justine Henin had more difficulties then expected. The 6-2 6-2 scoreline doesn't tell the real story of the game in my opinion. Most important is that she's trough to the next round.

Also Kristof Vliegen is trough. He beat Frenchie Olivier Patience 6-0 6-1 7-6.

Guess Pepinovic is going to attend some games ?

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 22:41 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

I hope Justine is going to smash all remaining records. I am not patriottic but if there is one Belgian sportsperson I do deeply respect, it's Justine. I hope she will win Wimbledon this year (her only missing Slam) and that she will win another gold medal at the Olympics.

Must add as well I always disliked Clijsters and her fake image. Good luck to her as a mother, the baby should probably assure us we won't ever have to see her again on a court while Justine keeps collecting trophies.
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 22:42 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Oh, I also like Xavier Malisse. I think he doesn't always get the respect he deserves. He has always been in the shadow of Kim and Justine but lot of people fail to remember he's been the country's highest-ranked male tennisser ever. That deserves some kudos as well IMO. Give Xavier a good coach that keeps him focussed mentally, and Xavier has the talent to win a Slam as well.
post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 12:13
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quite easy win for Henin last night. In the first set she was marvellous, in the second she had her typical Henin-dipje. In matches which are going too easy she sometimes lacks concentration on some moments in the game.

Vliegen lost against Andrejev. Now all Belgian men are eliminated.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2008, 14:14
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Again an easy job for Henin last night. She beat a qualifier from Taiwain with a 6-2 6-2 score.

Next opponent calls ... Maria Sharapova. Will be a first serious test

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:32
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Justine Hening got beaten for the first time since Wimbledon last year. Maria Sharapova made kip kap of her: 6-4 6-0

So with all the Belgians out of the Australian Open it's time to concentrate on the WC Cyclocross on Sunday I guess ?

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:28
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: the one you like to h8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA
Justine Hening got beaten for the first time since Wimbledon last year. Maria Sharapova made kip kap of her: 6-4 6-0

So with all the Belgians out of the Australian Open it's time to concentrate on the WC Cyclocross on Sunday I guess ?
Good riddance.
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:08
Rising Star

Teams: Tampa Bay Lightning, FC Barcelona, Club Brugge
Kip Kap?

I just watched the game, Henin got absolutely dominated by Sharapova
post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2008, 13:22
Star Player

Sharapova

post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2008, 10:25 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Probably none of you Sharapova fans ever paid attention to her actual tennis skills but more to her other "features"?

I am a Henin fan, but this defeat was well deserved. A 6-0 doesn't lie. Good luck to Sharapova in the rest of the tournament.
post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2008, 13:15
Star Player

Well, It's not really the fact that Sharapova is really really really hot, I just hate Henin

post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2008, 13:19
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue @ngel
Well, It's not really the fact that Sharapova is really really really hot, I just hate Henin
Idiot !

Henin is by far the best female tennis player ever :rollani:

Guess you understand what I meant in the Jupiler League thread now p

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in