Francophone Belgian Clubs v Nederlandophone Belgian Clubs - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2007, 22:20 Thread Starter
Rookie

Francophone Belgian Clubs v Nederlandophone Belgian Clubs

Hi People,
Can anybody settle something for me ?
I was looking at the Belgian league table and noticed that there seems to be very few of the top 18 clubs from the french speaking community. If I am not mistaken there only seems to be four - Mons, Mouscron, Liège and Charleroi. Is this the case ? In which case it is almost reminiscent of the lack of East German representation in the Bundesliga right now.
Furthermore, if anybody could give me a list of the professional clubs in Belgian in Ligues 1 and 2 (presuming the second division is professionel over there) according to their language then I would be very happy.

Thanks again, I look forward to reading your responses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2007, 22:58
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
D1:
Dutch:
Club Brugge
Cercle Brugge
Germinal Beerschot
AA Gent
RC Genk
Zulte Waregem
Lokeren
Westerlo
Roeselare
Dender
KV Mechelen
Sint Truiden

French:
Standard de Liege
Exc. Mouscron *
Sporting Charleroi
RAEC Mons

Bilingual**:
Anderlecht
FC Brussels

D2:
Dutch:
KV Kortrijk
OH Leuven
Hamme
Beveren
KVSK United
Tienen
Deinze
Antwerp
Lierse
Waasland
KV Oostende
Verbr. Geel

French:
Tubize
Exc. Virton
Olympique Charleroi
Namur
Tournai

German:
Eupen

Bilingual:**
Union St Gillis

* You can argue about Exc. Mouscron as there live much Dutch speaking people. But officialy the city is biased in the French part of Belgium.

** Bilingual clubs: Clubs biased in Brussels.

*** The Belgian D2 isn't professional. There are professional clubs, but there are also semi-professional clubs in it. Even in the D1 there are semi-professional clubs.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2007, 23:19 Thread Starter
Rookie

Tom thats great, thanks very much !
By the way, are there any teams from Luxembourg in the Belgian leagues ? I heard this once - and also are there not some German speaking clubs too as I know this is the language in certain eastern parts of the country.
Thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2007, 23:23
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Virton plays in the province Luxemburg. There are some more in the D4.

As far as I know D2 club Eupen and Kelmis in the D3 are the only clubs playing in the German part of Belgium.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2007, 21:14
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
Needs to be added that every club by rule has to select a language in which the Belgian FA corresponds with them. In Brussels, only 3 out of over 30 clubs chose Dutch, and all 3 of those clubs are in the lower leagues. So in theory Brussels, Anderlecht and Union are francophone, although in practice Brussels and Anderlecht will be bilingual. Union, although in bilingual city Brussels, have 90% French-speaking fans.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2007, 21:47
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Premier Player

Teams: The mighty Belgian NT
It's remarkable, isn't it?

2 notes... Although Mouscron is in the French speaking part, isn't it run by a Flemish president (so it could be argued it is at least a semi-Flemish club)?

And also.. Did you guys ever notice how well West-Flanders has always been represented in the jupiler league? From memory, I think we've averaged 4 clubs (22% of the clubs representing 11% of the population) with Club and Cercle, Kortrijk in the past, Waregem (now Zulte-Waregem), Oostende, Harelbeke and Roeselare.

I mean

Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβάμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος.

Justice is judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong but is also the way we try to save them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2007, 22:43
Highly Evolved
International

Mouscron used to have a Flemish president but that doesn't make it a Flemish club. Chelsea are run by an American and a Russian, but they're still English ...

However, Tubize and Mouscron (and in third division Ronse) are so close to the linguistic border that they can be considered borderline cases. Mouscron attract some Flemish fans, same for Tubize. However, the clubs run their daily basis in French so I would classify them as Walloon.

I personally would love to see a bit more Walloon clubs in the Liga. A bit more geographical divide with every region represented. Now the provinces of Namur and Luxembourg have 1 single club in the liga, while West Flanders and East Flanders have almost 10.

Also, I would love to see Eupen promote to the top division. German speaking Belgians tend to be very passionate about sport and consider their sportsteams as a way of showing their pride in being Germanophone. In indoor sports such as indoor football, handball and volleyball, the German speaking community has clubs in the top division and all attract very decent crowds. So I think if the German speaking community would have a premier division football club it would attract a very decent following from not just Eupen but also from the other Germanophone parts of Belgium. Germanophone Belgians are very fanatic when it comes to sports, so there is definitely a lot of potential in AS Eupen.

That said however, only one Germanophone Belgian played in the premier division ever (correct me if I am wrong). Goalkeeper Harald Heinen played for Seraing two years in the premier division, he is AFAIK the only German-speaking Belgian to have played in the premier division. And he was a very decent goalkeeper as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2007, 06:07
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Premier Player

Teams: The mighty Belgian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures
Mouscron used to have a Flemish president but that doesn't make it a Flemish club.
They are, as you say, a borderline case, especially for geographical and organisational reasons. I've definitely always seen a big Flemish influence there, be it through the president, coach, players, sponsor or fans.

Quote:
Chelsea are run by an American and a Russian, but they're still English ...
If you say so p . Apart from the fans (although you can argue the majority of their fans aren't English considering English clubs make that much money through broadcasting rights in foreign countries) and a few players, it's struggling to find anyone English at the club.

Quote:
I personally would love to see a bit more Walloon clubs in the Liga. A bit more geographical divide with every region represented.
Me too, although I don't really like any of the Walloon clubs. Well, I don't mind Standard (beautiful club and always good for a laugh every now and then), but Charleroi with their dodgy president (or is he gone now?), Mons being such a nobody's club really and La Louviere... I don't know.

Bring back Seraing and Club Luik, those were cool clubs

Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβάμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος.

Justice is judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong but is also the way we try to save them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2007, 17:13
Premier Player

Teams: Germinal Beerschot, Avenir Beggen!!
Quote:
Also, I would love to see Eupen promote to the top division. German speaking Belgians tend to be very passionate about sport and consider their sportsteams as a way of showing their pride in being Germanophone. In indoor sports such as indoor football, handball and volleyball, the German speaking community has clubs in the top division and all attract very decent crowds. So I think if the German speaking community would have a premier division football club it would attract a very decent following from not just Eupen but also from the other Germanophone parts of Belgium. Germanophone Belgians are very fanatic when it comes to sports, so there is definitely a lot of potential in AS Eupen.

That said however, only one Germanophone Belgian played in the premier division ever (correct me if I am wrong). Goalkeeper Harald Heinen played for Seraing two years in the premier division, he is AFAIK the only German-speaking Belgian to have played in the premier division. And he was a very decent goalkeeper as well.
I agree. I have been waiting for Eupen to promote. I thought they would do it this year, lets wait and see...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2007, 18:35
Highly Evolved
International

I always liked Mons and Charleroi. Mons have really friendly fans, and Charleroi are the sort of team that always take some points from the top teams. La Lou has a very ugly stadium but their fans are OK.

I never liked Tubize or Mouscron though, but Virton is a really nice day out in the Ardennes on a spring or summer night.

Well, I support Oostende and have sympathies for some other clubs both Flemish and Walloon. I still think of all clubs as "Belgian", because I am against the separation of Belgium. So Walloon or Flemish doesn't really matter much to me, to me it's all Belgian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in