The Red Devils | General Discussion - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 189 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2007, 22:55 Thread Starter
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
The Red Devils | General Discussion

The Belgian FA is going to decide after the Euro campaign if Rene Vandereycken is offered a new contract as national team coach or not. Het Laatste Nieuws, one of Belgium's leading newspapers, did a poll in the FA and concluded opinions are mixed so far. A few people in the Belgian FA committee are supporting Vandereycken but others openly questionned his future as NT coach. They also said they would decide not just based upon results, in other words the behaviour and press commotion Rene caused may also be considered. In an interview with several players, the players backed Rene Vandereycken and said a new coach would have to start building a team from zero again while Rene has almost finished building a team ready to fight for a World Cup spot.

Do you guys think Rene Vandereycken should receive a new contract, or should he get fired immediately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 189 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2007, 01:26
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Well, his contract ends in 2008, so firing him now wouldn't be that smart. I guess his contract won't be renewed due to his wages. He's a quite expensive coach, and with the financial troubles the KBVB had at the moment ...

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #3 of 189 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2007, 17:39
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

A quite interesting statement by Trond Sollied:
Sollied: 'Ik zou het anders doen als bondscoach'
Het was een opmerkelijke uitspraak van CEO Jean-Marie Philips deze week: 'Als we niet doorgaan met Vandereycken, kiezen we misschien voor een buitenlandse bondscoach.' Een weldenkend mens komt dan al snel uit bij Trond Sollied als mogelijke kandidaat.

'Daar denk ik momenteel niet aan', reageert De Noor. 'Ik voel me perfect gelukkig hier, heb momenteel een goeie job. Maar als ik het toch zou worden, zou ik wel een aantal dingen anders doen. Ik zou veel meer communicatie voeren met clubcoaches. In Noorwegen doen we dat al jaren zo. Hier hebben jullie die cultuur niet. Voetbal lijkt wel het grootst bewaarde geheim. Waarom trouwens tegen het idee van een buitenlandse coach zijn? Het is altijd goed om open te staan voor nieuwe stromingen. Wie had ooit durven dromen dat ze zelfs in Engeland die keuze zouden maken?'
Sollied says he would do it on antoher way then VDE does, with more discussion with the club coaches, like the Norwegian bondscoach does it.

You can say everything you want from Sollied, but he gets results, plays attacking football which leaded into many goals for the teams he coached yet. I think he would be a good option for the national team. He's someone who can make Belgium come back faster then everyone thought.

Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread

post #4 of 189 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2007, 10:46
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
What I think is that your material is better than the results you are getting right now. I don't know why that is, but maybe it is the coach's fault. I mean, you're no Italy or France squad wise, but at least on par with nations like Scotland, who do manage to do very well. I say you need a new coach who can get the maximum out of his material.

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #5 of 189 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2007, 15:08
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Well, it isn't Vandereyckens fault that Belgium doesn't have enough quality ... but his selections and line-ups are ridiculous. Time to fire the guy

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Ręve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #6 of 189 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2007, 18:54
Star Player

Teams: BRUGGE Celtic,Schalke,VCF - Belgium, Slovenia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA
Well, his contract ends in 2008, so firing him now wouldn't be that smart. I guess his contract won't be renewed due to his wages. He's a quite expensive coach, and with the financial troubles the KBVB had at the moment ...
Try finding an affordable foreigner then, not too mention trying to explain that that this guy would be better than Broos or Vercauteren.:undecide:

'There has never been anything false about hope.' (Barack Obama)
post #7 of 189 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2007, 19:25
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Future of the Red Devils

With the end of the qualification games for Euro 2008 and the end of our national team coach, Rene Vandereijcken, his contract, it's time to start talking about the future.

On Sunday we will know who we'll face in the WC 2010 qualification games. We're already sunk into the 4th group where we find teams as Georgia, Albania, Moldova, etc ...

What would be your line-up ? Who is your favourite to coach this team ? Shall we go on playing with almost a full squad of 19-20 year old lads ? And, after the draw on Sunday, what are the expectations for the WC 2010 ?

Discuss !

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #8 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 15:43
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

It seems the FA doesn't really support VDE anymore after the awful performance of yesterday.

Some say De Sart will take over untill July. Then Michel Preud'homme his contract ends, which would it make easier to get him as NT Coach.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #9 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 16:02
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: the one you like to h8
Quote:
It seems the FA doesn't really support VDE anymore after the awful performance of yesterday.

Some say De Sart will take over untill July. Then Michel Preud'homme his contract ends, which would it make easier to get him as NT Coach.
Based on exactly what? His constant choking? Awful decision if he becomes the NT coach. Absolutely awful. If this tool becomes coach we're doomed again. Such an uninspiring figure, who the **** actually likes him?
post #10 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 16:10
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee
Based on exactly what? His constant choking? Awful decision if he becomes the NT coach. Absolutely awful. If this tool becomes coach we're doomed again. Such an uninspiring figure, who the **** actually likes him?
Well, the FA seems to want him because he is ... bilingual.

He does a good job for Standard at the moment, but he hasn't proven so much as a coach 'till now. Same with one of their other candidates: Wilmots.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #11 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 16:29
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Well, the FA seems to want him because he is ... bilingual.

He does a good job for Standard at the moment, but he hasn't proven so much as a coach 'till now. Same with one of their other candidates: Wilmots.
Yes well, that's then another exemple of how Belgium is not of these days anymore. God, if knowing a certain language is a factor then why not test mathematical insight as well? Besides, a walloon coach will be backed by the Frenchspeaking press and suddenly all kinds of even more halfassed players will appear in the team (Leonard,...). Just like the walloon press is opposing the idea of a Dutch coach (and succeeding in getting their way, may I add), because he wouldn't know French. All in all, typical Belgian bullhonky of which I'm sick of...
post #12 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 17:56
Rising Star

Teams: R.Antwerp F.C. , F.C. Barcelona
We got a chance with a good coach
post #13 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 18:16
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafc
So , like I said, we shouldn't pick a Belgian coach. p
post #14 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 18:27
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee
So , like I said, we shouldn't pick a Belgian coach. p
Finding a foreign coach who is payable isn't that easy too off course.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #15 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 19:09
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafc

It isn't the fault of the coach that the team sucks

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Ręve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #16 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 19:19
Star Player

Quote:
What would be your line-up ?
A wild guess would be

---------------------------Stijnen--------------------------------

--De Roover/Gillet----Kompany----Vermaelen----Pocognoli---------

----------------------------Simons-------------------------------

---------------Defour-------------------Martens------------------

------Sonck----------------Dembele---------------Mirallas--------

Bench: Vandenbussche/Bailly, Van Buyten, Lombaerts, Fellaini, Blondel, Sterchele, Goor

Quote:
Who is your favourite to coach this team?
If you look at the Belgians, you're done quickly. De Sart should stay with the U-21s imo and Gerets does not fancy the NT (yet). All that's left then are the usual suspects like Broos and Preud'homme. So preferably a foreigner with a good Dutchman being the most logical option. Co is probably too expensive, but there are enough options left: De Mos, Erwin Koeman, Jans, Been, Booy,...

Quote:
Shall we go on playing with almost a full squad of 19-20 year old lads?
Well, I'm afraid we'll have to do it for 90 percent with this group. I think it was Colin who wrote we'll have to recuperate Buffel and the Mpenzas, but from that trio only Buffel seems like a possible added value. Mbo rarely makes the level to have that extra and Emile doesn't seem like the experienced leader to me.

So maybe we can recover Buffel and maybe guys like Huysegems and Daerden can develop positively, but other than that?

Quote:
And, after the draw on Sunday, what are the expectations for the WC 2010 ?
Well, wether we're in pot 3 or 4, it won't be easy at all. I think that's pretty clear.

Quote:
Finding a foreign coach who is payable isn't that easy too off course.
Apparently, Dekeersmaecker wants to pay Vandereycken's resignation fee and the new coach's salary (who apparently does not have to be free). So they want to spend a penny. So one of the better Dutchies should be possible. Maybe not the absolute top, but still.

post #17 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 19:28
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by binswhacker
Apparently, Dekeersmaecker wants to pay Vandereycken's resignation fee and the new coach's salary (who apparently does not have to be free). So they want to spend a penny. So one of the better Dutchies should be possible. Maybe not the absolute top, but still.
On one hand it's ridiculous as his contract expires in July. But on the other hand it's better to clearify things as fast as possible.

I'm not sure about Buffel honestly. I never rated him very highly. Off course someone as Mbo shouldn't be called up, but Emile can have his use still.

Don't you think your 4-3-3 is too attacking ? I mean, a midfield with Defour and Martens, there is not much space left for the defending part

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #18 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 19:52
Star Player

Quote:
On one hand it's ridiculous as his contract expires in July. But on the other hand it's better to clearify things as fast as possible.
Agreed.

Quote:
I'm not sure about Buffel honestly. I never rated him very highly. Off course someone as Mbo shouldn't be called up, but Emile can have his use still.
Maybe, but on the other hand, that's about it. If Emile has a clear mind and wants to return, he has his place. But it will take more than just turning 30 to make him an experienced 'pillar' of the team.

Quote:
Don't you think your 4-3-3 is too attacking ? I mean, a midfield with Defour and Martens, there is not much space left for the defending part
Maybe. That was just the first team that came to my mind. Maybe with Vertonghen for either Defour or Martens? Besides, Simons can recuperate quite a bit, Sonck and Martens work their fair share and Dembele and Mirallas can hold on to a ball, so on the other hand, why not?

post #19 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 20:15
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, PL NT
Quote:
On Sunday we will know who we'll face in the WC 2010 qualification games. We're already sunk into the 4th group where we find teams as Georgia, Albania, Moldova, etc ...
Whats going on, on Sunday? This Sunday European nations will know who theyl face for qualification of WC2k10?:sweeteye: We just did a qualifying for Euro2k8 just recently.
post #20 of 189 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 20:22
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by binswhacker
Maybe. That was just the first team that came to my mind. Maybe with Vertonghen for either Defour or Martens? Besides, Simons can recuperate quite a bit, Sonck and Martens work their fair share and Dembele and Mirallas can hold on to a ball, so on the other hand, why not?
Vertonghen could indeed be the solution as replacement of Martens.

I'd like to see Sonck - Mirallas up front, with Dembele behind them. Dembele in his AZ role. It has been clear that Dembele can't play as a real striker in the last couple of games. He always sinks back into midfield to ask the ball.

The perfect balance, in my opinion, you can easely find with 5 defensive minded players, one all round midfielder and 4 attacking minded players. In that way Vertonghen/Blondel fits perfect into the midfield.

At this moment of speaking, I'd line up this squad:

Stijnen

Gillet - Kompany - Lombaerts - Pocognoli

Simons - Blondel
Defour

Dembele
Mirallas - Sonck

About the goalkeeper ... Stijnen is the best at this moment, let that be clear, but his minus (not great in the air) is something you can't be happy with imo. Bailly or Vandenbussche are better choices then, but they lack other abilities which are crucial. But if Bailly can get his level back of last season and proves he's better, he should get the n°1 jersey. And well, not that I am a huge fan of him, but maybe Proto finds his way back into the starting eleven of Anderlecht.

With Gillet and Pocognoli (De Roover is indeed also an option on the right, in that way Gillet can play in the midfield, which is his best position imo) you have wing backs who can make the run and deliver a ball. Between Lombaerts and Vermaelen (Yes, injured at the moment, but when he's fit ...) I doubt a bit ... Both are left footers, both have their qualities, but I'd rather go for Lombaerts. He's quite strong and has a great long ball in his feet. He's chosen purely based on his physical abilities. About the options of Kompany I'd rather wait some time and see what happens with him in Hamburg. Is he stays at the midfield, he can perfectly play at Simons side. With his technique and power he could be a huge strengthening in the midfield. But then you have again the question who should take his place in defence ...

In midfield I have my doubts about chosing between Simons and Mudingayi. Mudingayi is that little bastard you need, the one who can make a fault when it's necessary. On the other hand Simons has more the abilities of a captain. His talking, his better passing could be crucial. So the first choice goes to him. For the spot on Simons side you can play with Blondel, Vertonghen, Fellaini or Kompany. Fellaini became more solid then last season, especially in his passing. He's also a danger on free kicks and corner kicks AND is someone who infiltrates. But as we speak today, Blondel should get that spot. In front of them Defour should play, so clearly in a central role. If he isn't available you have Martens as back up.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in