Johan Boskamp: Talking about youth development in Belgium - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2007, 23:22 Thread Starter
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Johan Boskamp: Talking about youth development in Belgium

Johan Boskamp: « Belgian youth is as good as the Portuguese ... »

In the weekly monday programme of Studio 1 Johan Boskamp talked about the youth development in Belgium. The former coach of Anderlecht & Standard talked with Filip Joos about Anderlecht, Standard and the Belgian youth development.

"Untill the age of 14 years our youth is as good as for example the Portuguese", was one of the remarkable quotes Boskamp said. "The problem is that from the age of 15 we train in another way then other countries. I watched many youth games and trainings. When I compare the youth academy of Mallorca and Belgian youth academies there is a huge difference. They train during 1 or 2 hours just on giving passes. Hard ones, those who are difficult to control and also long passes. Those lads are capable of bringing a difficult ball to death, Belgians aren't."

Boskamp was harsh for the Belgian teams. "I've been to the U17 World Championships in South Corea. Players like Bojan Krkic and Toni Kroos were there for Spain and Germany. If you see that those players already now can taste of first team football in Barcelona and Munchen I just can't understand why we don't see it here. Everyone says Eden Hazard (Lille OSC) is the coming man in Belgian football, but is was that defensive midfielder from Brussels (Sebastien Phiri) who made Hazard play well. And then you see that such a player doesn't get his chance at Brussels. But not only at Brussels, almost nowhere in Belgium youth players get their chance of tasting first team football. The only thing I hear is that Belgium is just a small country, but if we look at the population, where slightly superior to Portugal who has world class players. No, Belgian teams like more to go to a country and open a can of players hoping they will do a good job."

When talking about Standard, a team who gave their own youth the chances recently, Boskamp said their new facilities are belonging on the top of Europe.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:11
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
Well it is true that youths do not get enough chances in Belgium imo. That is a shame. If you see the amount of young Belgians that are playing in Holland, it is unbelievable to see that they never got the chance in Belgium. Just look at Maarten Martens for instance, who if I am not mistaken, comes from Anderlecht, and now plays at AZ. He could have easily been in Anderlecht's first team.

And yes, I think in principle Belgian (or Dutch for that matter) youths are equal to Portuguese. Portugal is a small country as well, but they manage to do very well with what they have. They are an example for all the other small countries imo.

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old October 2nd, 2007, 13:57
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Like I take a guy who says Standard is the only serious opponent of Rsc* in Belgium seriously ...

His comments about youth football in particular were correct, but he didn't say anything we didn't already know. That's the real problem in this country, we say alot but don't do anything. Geen woorden, maar daden?

Club is the only team in Belgium who has invested in his new youth acadamy, and our new principles are revolutionary in this country. Let's hope the rest follows. We needed to go abroad to see how other teams do it, let this be a lesson for other Belgian teams ...

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in