Jupiler Liga - Eredivisie | Time for a BeNeLiga ? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2000, 20:02
PolBelg

Jupiler Liga - Eredivisie | Time for a BeNeLiga ?

I've thought about a one problem recently. Why so many good Belgian players go to Holland, to weaker clubs? A good example here is Stefaan Tanghe, who left Excelsior Mouscron and went to FC Utrecht, which isn't as good as Mouscron in my opinion. Is the financial condition of Belgian club so bad, that a generally worse Dutch teams can offer Belgian players much better contract terms?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2000, 20:11
gOD
Legend

I think their are 2 big reasons for that problem:

1) Yes, the financial situation of Dutch teams is way better than those of the Belgian clubs. Therefore you see that the better players choose average Dutch teams. A lot of players choose fast money instead of a well balanced and built carreer whioch would bring in more in the long run.

2) On the other hand mostely young players choose to go to Holland. Soetaers, Van de Paar, De Witte, Caluwé... These are the biggest talents Belgium has, but still they didn't get a real chance in the Jupiler League. In Holland youngsters get a chance even if they are better than the experienced stars. In Belgium we rather buy third-rated foreignors instead of gioving our own youth a fair chance.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2000, 00:10
PolBelg

Generally I know that financial status of the Dutch clubs is better that Belgian ones. But let's think about, why it is so? Belgium and Holland are similar countries, also when we are comparing the economic situation. So why do the Dutch clubs have more money?

I agree absolutely with you, that there are too many foreigners in the Jupiler Ligue. But why the situation should be better if there are no foreigners restrictions in Belgium? And why doesn't URBSFA/KBVB make such restrictions?

Particurarly interesting is now the situation with Anderlecht and Roda JC Kerkrade. 3 players have moved from RSCA to Roda recently and all of them were substitutes only in Brussels: Anastasiou, Sonko and Soetaers. Will Roda JC be a "branch-club" for RSCA?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2000, 10:51
Premier Player

Good question PolBelg !

I think Dutch boards are much smarter and professional then ours. We aren't as broad-minded as the Dutch ones..

Few years ago there was a study about people and football in Europe and Belgian football attracts a lot of people so that's a fact.
But have you seen the difference between our accomodations and the ones in Holland ? They are years ahead of us ..
Also in merchandising for example the Belgian teams are nowhere. In Holland teams think more about the future and have a clear idea about that, in Belgium most of the teams live from year to year. In Holland a lot of money they get are from TV-rights, sponsors, .. Much more then we get here.

Most teams in Belgium are just there to survive and at the end of the season they have to sell their best players to clear the debts ? There is something wrong if you have to do that every year...

I totally agree with you about the fact we have too many foreigners ! I think we should have a rule about that here too !
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2000, 11:59
gOD
Legend

Unfortunately such rules aren't allowed due to European laws.

Personally I don't think such rules are needed. We just have to change that stupid mentallity. There is absolutely no logic in lineing up a third-rate foreignor if you have a decent youngster of your own. Sure he will make mistakes, but so will that foreignor ('cause he isn't talented) and your youngster will improve.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2008, 15:47
Premier Player

Teams: Club Brugge, 1.FC Union Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD View Post
I On the other hand mostely young players choose to go to Holland. Soetaers, Van de Paar, De Witte, Caluwé... These are the biggest talents Belgium has, but still they didn't get a real chance in the Jupiler League.
Was reading this by coincidence ...

Funny if you see what happened to these "talents"

http://youtu.be/id5miD_uZDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0Re9aBJt4

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2008, 15:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Yeah, great losses they were

Not completely related to the topic, but have Standard definitely has to be the strongest side in Benelux at the moment. This when Ajax Feyenoord, PSV, Anderlecht and Club Brugge probably have more fans. Certainly not bad going by them. Will be interesting to see whether they'll be able to keep it up after next summer when folks like Defour or Witsel will be leaving

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2008, 17:52
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
The difference?

In Holland they have stadiums, fans and decent football players

So not that big

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2009, 16:58
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Quote:
"DEFINITE NO TO DUTCH-BELGIAN LEAGUE"
There will be no combined Dutch-Belgian league. This was unveiled by Henk Kesler, Director of Professional Football at the Dutch FA.

UEFA President Michel Platini recently promoted the idea of combining the two leagues, and was later supported by Dutch FA Chairman Michael van Praag.

But in an interview with Dutch newspaper Telegraaf, Kesler ended all speculations: "The decision was made after talking to the clubs, who are not at all interested in the idea," he said.

"That Platini and Van Praag wanted to investigate the possibilities, doesn't matter. They're not in charge. We and the clubs are, and this league won't happen."
So, what are the opinions in here about a BeNe-Liga ?

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2009, 18:53
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Against, as a fan

Besides, Belgium and Holland have completely different football cultures. I really don't think we'd match well together

Not even talking about our shameful accommodations ...

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2009, 20:32
International

These talks are absurd and waste of time simply because of the fact that it is against UEFA rules. A rule clearly says every league must have its own national team and vice versa, with Liechtenstein being the only UEFA member granted an exception. Wales even created its own league solely for the purpose of not losing its independent national team. So if you merge leagues, you must merge national teams by UEFA rule. And nobody in Belgium or Netherlands will want a merged national team. Simple consequence is that a BeNe liga is impossible.

I am surprised Platini isnt aware of this, or isnt aware of the mess he creates if he allows a single consequence. Because if he does, other countries will also look to merge leagues to strengthen their leagues. Next would be a Scandinavian league, a combined league for Switzerland and Austria would be possible, a Baltic league, a new Czechoslowakian league, ... Before you know you are in total chaos when you grant one exception, because others will use this exception as a precedent.

Besides, apart from the fans of less than 10 clubs in the entire Benelux, NOBODY is benefitting from a BeNe Liga. It would only make things even more elitist than they are now, and like Blue Angel says it is merging two different football cultures. The whole idea is ridiculous and unrealistic from A to Z. If Belgian clubs want to mean something in Europe again reforms or merging leagues are no solution, tackling the issue from the youth education on is the solution. With the exception of a handful of clubs (the youth education program of FC Bruges comes into mind) Belgian clubs dont invest in youth centers like it is done in Holland and France. Hence why Dutch and French clubs are more succesful and with more local key players in the top teams. This is what must change in Belgium, reforms and merging leagues is trying to cure a symptom instead of curing the actual disease.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2009, 13:15
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue @ngel View Post
Against, as a fan
²

Even if we has a similar level of accomodations, etc ...

Personally: Anderlecht - Mechelen or Anderlecht - Lierse says me so much more then Anderlecht - Utrecht for example, or Anderlecht - Heerenveen.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2009, 22:52
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue @ngel View Post
Besides, Belgium and Holland have completely different football cultures. I really don't think we'd match well together
In which way do you mean?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2009, 12:40
Star Player

Teams: Dutch football
I think a mixed league won't be a option in the future although Platini was given the question about such a fusion recently and he said he kept the door open for such a idea. If you think about it; teams like Anderlecht, Club Brugge and Standard are welcomed additions to the Eredivisie and to my opinion better opponents than teams like FC Volendam/De Graafschap which would naturally result in a better league. But again, it won't happen because the Dutch and Belgians aren't that interested in it anyway.

Maybe they could create instead a new cup tournament first, the Benelux Cup where Dutch and Belgian teams all participate. It would be a nice test to see if those matches interest crowds and what the outcome of such a tournament would be. Would the Dutch teams dominate or aren't the Belgian teams not that bad in comparison at all.

"Always look on the bright side of life"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in