Midfielders: Daerden en Defour
(RC Genk), D'Haemers (Zulte Waregem),
Geraerts (Standard), Goor (Anderlecht),
Simons (PSV)

Attackers: Buffel (Rangers), Caluwé
(Utrecht), Huysegems (AZ), Mbo Mpenza
(Anderlecht), Vandenbergh (RC Genk)

----------------------------------------------------

Because Belgium has to miss quite a few players due to club-activities, Vandereycken has called up 9 (!) debutants. Those are; Caluwé, D'haemers, Defour, Lombaerts, Collen, De Decker and the 3 keepers Cordier, Stijnen and Vandenbussche.

"I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. my birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, came across a blood soaked baby, moi, and they raised me to be evil."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2006, 21:03
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Good luck to Caluwé!

Hopefully I go to Sittard thursday to watch Belgium versus Saudi-Arabia .
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2006, 22:38
gOD
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
I think it's a good thing Vandereycken is taking a good look at the entire group of players he can choose of. The real deal will happen later though

We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace!

26.000 Faces :frownani:

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 07:39
Premier Player

Teams: Club Brugge, 1.FC Union Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
I think it's a good thing Vandereycken is taking a good look at the entire group of players he can choose of. The real deal will happen later though
totally agree... as long as Bisconti and Vanderhaeghe are not called up we should consider ourselves extremely lucky!! One thing is really shit though; why the **** doesn't he call up Birger Maertens??

http://youtu.be/id5miD_uZDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0Re9aBJt4

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 16:10 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Royal Antwerp FC, Manchester United, Belgium
TBH baring in mind this is just an experimental selection and definate one will be completely different a few months from now, I'm quite satisfied with this selection.

I'm not saying a D'Haemers, Caluwé, Cordier, Lombaerts or De Decker are world-beaters or even good enough for the international level, but within their qualities they have all played a good till great season and they definately deserved a call-up and a chance to proof themselves.

Hopefully one or two of them will grab the chance and be able to win a call-up again at the start of the WCQ when we meet Kazachstan.

"I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. my birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, came across a blood soaked baby, moi, and they raised me to be evil."
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 19:48
Rising Star

Teams: lierse, rode duivels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel, 25:17
One thing is really shit though; why the **** doesn't he call up Birger Maertens??
Why would he call up Bicky Birger?

Help me, Jeebus!!!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2006, 08:11
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski
Why would he call up Bicky Birger?
So Walter Baseggio would have something to eat

Oh shit... he also wasn't called up

No, I think everybody has to agree that Bicky Birger played a great season and he's one of the best central defenders we have IMHO

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2006, 09:17
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça
Goalkeepers: Cordier (La Louvière), Stijnen
(Club Brugge) en Brian Vandenbussche
(Heerenveen)

Defenders: Collen (Feyenoord), De
Decker (G.Beerschot), Hoefkens (Stoke
City), Kompany en Vanden Borre (Ander-
lecht), Léonard (Standard), Lombaerts
(AA Gent), Thomas Vermaelen (Ajax)

Midfielders: Daerden en Defour
(RC Genk), D'Haemers (Zulte Waregem),
Geraerts (Standard), Goor (Anderlecht),
Simons (PSV)

Attackers: Buffel (Rangers), Caluwé
(Utrecht), Huysegems (AZ), Mbo Mpenza
(Anderlecht), Vandenbergh (RC Genk)

Sounds like a good group of players to me. Kompany, VDB, Vermaelen, Daerden, Defour, Goor, Simons, Buffel and Caluwé are all decent to say the least.
I'm not really impressed by Vandenbussche though, he's got his occasional errors.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2006, 09:43
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Team MutOofd
Quote:
So Walter Baseggio would have something to eat

Oh shit... he also wasn't called up

No, I think everybody has to agree that Bicky Birger played a great season and he's one of the best central defenders we have IMHO
Not to mention the fact he had to play without a decent defensive midfielder in front of him, meaning he had to move up as well in support of the midfield :eekani: he did a fine job imo and surely deserved a call-up
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2006, 11:00
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutOofd
Not to mention the fact he had to play without a decent defensive midfielder in front of him, meaning he had to move up as well in support of the midfield :eekani: he did a fine job imo and surely deserved a call-up

Where's Bay Area by the way?

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2006, 14:09 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:

I wont argue with that.
I bet Bicky still wakes up at night screaming after having another bad Boussoufa-dream.

Seriously Maertens didn't exactly have a great few months behind him (like the rest of Club Brugge) and his non-selection could be justified.
But I'm pretty certain RVE just didn't call him up just to make room for other new/temporary players and that'll probably be included in the next selection in a few months from now.

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 15:38 Thread Starter
Star Player

Vandereycken announced his new selection for the game against Slovakia:

Keepers: Stijnen (Club Brugge), Vanden-
bussche (Heerenveen), Schollen (NAC)

Defenders: Hoefkens (Stoke City),
Kompany en Vanden Borre (Anderlecht),
Léonard (Standard), Swerts(Vitesse),
Van Buyten (Hamburg), Van Damme
(Werder), Van der Heyden (Wolfsburg)

Midfielders: Caluwé (Utrecht), De
Decker (G.Beerschot), Geraerts (Stan-
dard), Goor (A'lecht), Simons (PSV)

Attackers: Buffel (Rangers), Huyse-
gems (AZ), Vandenbergh (RC Genk),
Pieroni(Auxerre), Sonck(Mönchenglad-
bach), Dembele(Willem II/AZ)

------------------------------------------------

Cordier, Lombaerts, Collen, Dhaemers and Defour fell out of the selection. Mbo, Daerden and Vermaelen are out with injuries. Dembele and Schollen ( ) are debutants.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:33
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

As the game against Slovakia is coming closer by, I'll give my starting 11 for Saturday:

Stijnen

Hoefkens - Simons - Leonard

Geraerts
Vd Borre - Caluwe - Goor
Buffel

Pieroni - Vandenbergh

If I have a closer look at the selection, I have to admit that we just have lack on quality midfielders. And now with the injuries of Van Buyten and Vermaelen we also haven't many space in the centre of our defence.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 11:37 Thread Starter
Star Player

Seems Van Buyten, Kompany and Vermaelen are all out with injuries so I'm guessing the line-up will indeed be something like that. Although I think VDE will take Sonck instead of Vandenbergh and maybe De Decker instead of Caluwé?

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 11:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
so is Collen out of the NT frame after only 1 game against Saudi Arabia?

Davy Schollen

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 12:01
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfschwein
Although I think VDE will take Sonck instead of Vandenbergh and maybe De Decker instead of Caluwé?
As VDBergh is VDEyckens favourite I don't think he will put him on the bench. De Decker could indeed play on Caluwe's position. But on the other hand; Caluwé played a fairly good game against Saudi Arabia. So anothe chance must been given to him to proove himself

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 11:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
so is Collen out of the NT frame after only 1 game against Saudi Arabia?

Davy Schollen
Yeah, he didn't look too good against Saudi-Arabia.
Gave a lot of bad passes and received the lowest score from most newspapers. Not all is lost for him, but TBH I can't see a big future for him in the NT. :undecide:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA
As VDBergh is VDEyckens favourite I don't think he will put him on the bench. De Decker could indeed play on Caluwe's position. But on the other hand; Caluwé played a fairly good game against Saudi Arabia. So anothe chance must been given to him to proove himself
According to het nieuwsblad the line-up will be as following

------------------------Stijnen----------------------------

---------Hoefkens-----V.Damme-------Leonard--------------

----V.D Borre------------------------------------V.D Heyden-

----------------------De Decker--Simons----------------------

--------------------------Buffel---------------------------------

------------------Sonck--------Pieroni-------------------------

Like you see doesn't look too good.
I fear especially the defence is going to get a hard time.
Hopefully they put down a good result.

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 11:12 Thread Starter
Star Player

What an awful, awful game.

One of the worst displays I've seen this season.
I can't believe I watched through the entire game.
No skills, no combinations, bad ball-controls and bad long passes.
The midfield was non-existant and the defence had their hands full with Robert Vittek who time after time ran through centre and past the flanks.

The drama's of the evening were Van Damme (29 long balls of which 30 reached their destiny?) and Pieroni (not sure if he actually played).

The only 'positive' thing we can remember was the good substitution from Dembele and again a good performance from Stijnen.

Should be much better against Turkey or they'll wipe the floor with us.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:15
Premier Player

I'm very glad, Vandereycken is about testing everybody he possibly can... Always good to test them before those important qualifiers, isn't it Aime 'I put Vanderheyden left mid and Bisconti right mid' Antheunis

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 13:38 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
I'm very glad, Vandereycken is about testing everybody he possibly can... Always good to test them before those important qualifiers, isn't it Aime 'I put Vanderheyden left mid and Bisconti right mid' Antheunis
I dont know, I have never been a fan of Vandereycken and I wont become one right now. I'm not going to give him extra credit for testing the likes of Caluwé, Schollen, Collen, De Decker or Lombaerts.

I'm pretty sure that if AA was still in charge he would also have called up a Dembele, Vermaelen or Defour. Just like he did with Blondel, Dufer and Daerden.

Also I truly wonder if AA's defensive midfield was so much worse than VDE's 5 man defence. So far I'm not impressed at all by the level of football the team is getting, that's why I'm looking forward to see them perform against Turkey.

I'm not to going to judge him on a few friendlies but we'll have to wait and see how the team will perform during the qualifyers than we can take some conclussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in