hello from Greece - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2006, 14:11 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Olympiakos CFP, Santos, Brasil
hello from Greece

As you probably know, because of Sollied there is a newly found interest in the belgian league from Greece and especially Olympiakos fans of course. Sollied has been generally successful over here, but as he looks like he's gonna stay for a while, I would like to ask you guys a few questions regarding his ideas and the players he wants to bring (a concerned fan )

What do you think about Butina and Mihal Zewlakow?
What do you think about Ne (I know he 's probably better than the above) especially in comparison with Yaya Toure?
Did Sollied not give many chances to youngsters over there too? Did he bring up any youngsters from the youth squad or at all to the first team? 'Cause that's one of the things he was bragging about when he came and that's certainly not the case...

He is also trying to get some players from belgium but for some of them I doubt it whether 1) we can buy them (Onyewu, Joao Carlos) or 2) they are good enough (Balaban) so I was wondering what was your idea of his handling of the transfer budget...

Don't know if that's the right place to ask, or if you are annoyed by these topics, but once I found Xtratime I thought I should ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2006, 14:21
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Team MutOofd
-Butina: certainly good enough for olympiakos+ he has the thrust from sollied

-Zewlakov:

-Ne: I thought he was better than eboue who is now a star at arsenal, another vieira type though, not as good defensively but perhaps a better football player

-Oneywu: I doubt he'd want to go to greece, he'd rather choose holland or germany imo, good, strong defender but lacks sometimes in tight marking and is highly volatile

-Joao Carlos: I don't rate him but most "experts" see him as the number 2 centre back behind kompany , I think he would possibly be tempted to come to olympiakos although imo he is not good enough for a CL-team

-Balaban: same as the above, is supposed to have "talent" although it's not really clear in what area :undecide:

-Sollied hates people younger than 25 :eekani:

Last edited by CocaineCowboy; March 2nd, 2006 at 14:38.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2006, 15:55 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Is Zewlakow a complete joke? I thought he 's a regular for his NT! Shit, of all the transfers this is the position we are most vulnerable at...

I don't know how good you rate Ne or Eboue (Eboue is not that good for Arsenal IMO right now, but he's got potential) but I 'd like to know in comparison with Toure - which by the way has been incredible

Joao Carlos has said he would like to come to Olympiakos but isn't he more expensive than Onyewu? I wouldn't expect Onyewu to come to Greece anyway (he's american and ManU have checked him out too). They 've said something about Tihinen too, but I thought this guy's not as good...

Sollied has been a revelation for Olympiakos in terms of results (he 's also way too lucky). In my opinion he would make a good technical director but as a coach this guy should never be allowed in a football pitch

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2006, 20:54
Rising Star

Teams: AC Milan, Anderlecht
Quote:
Originally Posted by red fan7
Is Zewlakow a complete joke? I thought he 's a regular for his NT! Shit, of all the transfers this is the position we are most vulnerable at...
If you're looking for a decent back-up, who can play LB and RB, and are willing to accept the occasional horrible game, he's not a bad transfer actually. Zewlakow is ok, just don't expect that you've got yourself a CL-level defender with him.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2006, 17:57
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
Apparently, Sollied believes that "Belgium All Stars: The Veteran Edition" is good enough to do well in the CL.

I can understand signing Ne, because he seems like a player with potential. But Zewlakow and Butina are very strange signings. I'm tempted to say Sollied is making kickbacks off such transfers because there is no other explanation of it.

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2006, 19:20
Rising Star

Teams: AC Milan, Anderlecht
Butina is, like MutOofd already mentioned, a very good goalkeeper, and Zewlakow, well, depending on what role you have in mind for him he's not a bad transfer either. They're both free agents so it's a win-win situation for Olympiakos imo.

Plus, Sollied has closely followed or even worked with those guys for several years, thus knows their capabilities, which is worth a lot more than a couple of scouted games.

The moment you hear he's after a certain Vanderhaeghe, now then I'd start worrying

Last edited by Admiral; March 5th, 2006 at 19:25.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2006, 19:26
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Thing is, Olympiakos already has a good goalkeeper. Nikopolidis might be getting old, he's 35 now I believe, but he is still in a very good form. I would perhaps understand it if Butina was younger, but he's 30something himself, isn't he? And Sollied signed Erwin Lemmens in the summer, who hasn't played even once. So that means that either Butina or Nikopolidis (which means: Butina) is going to be on the bench. If he was signing a goalkeeper to take over, I'd understand it... but signing an old back up doesn't make sense.

As for Zewlakow... Olympiakos has full-backs that are ok. They don't have a GREAT one though, is Zewlakow a great one? I doubt it.

I know he knows his skills and capabilities, but it's not like he's bringing in great players. He's bringing players that are old and from what I understand not that great even in Belgium. It's not like they're signing Vincent Kompany.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2006, 21:47 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
As for Zewlakow... Olympiakos has full-backs that are ok. They don't have a GREAT one though, is Zewlakow a great one? I doubt it.
I totally disagree on that one. Our fullbacks are the biggest liability on the team. This is why I am extremely worried with that Zewlakow signing. Besides if he was that good Anderlecht would retain him....

I also don't think that Butina will be on the bench. When Sollied brought Lemmens he brought him as a first keeper (because he was his first choice in all the friendlies) but he was more like a joke with players running around him, so he was forced to play Nikopolidis.

I 'm worried about that thing with the young players though. When he came he was bragging about how many young players he helped and he developed in the first team at Brugge. Over here with the championship practically finished (+12) not only does he not start any of the young players but he waits until the 65th and 80th minute to bring them on when he's 3-0 up against the worst team at home!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2006, 22:36
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Premier Player

Teams: The mighty Belgian NT
Quote:
Over here with the championship practically finished (+12) not only does he not start any of the young players but he waits until the 65th and 80th minute to bring them on when he's 3-0 up against the worst team at home!

He'll never change

Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβάμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος.

Justice is judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong but is also the way we try to save them.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2006, 22:37
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

So you think he intents to drop Nikopolidis? That'll be a shame. He has been very good this season, and it will harm the national team too. And I always thought Giannou would be in with a chance when Nikopolidis paved the way...

Well, in my opinion both Bulut and Pantos are ok. Nothing special of course, and you obviously need better players but I doubt Zewlakow is that. Georgatos and Mavrogenidis are indeed finished though.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2006, 07:13
Premier Player

Teams: Club Brugge, 1.FC Union Berlin
Quote:
he waits until the 65th and 80th minute to bring them on when he's 3-0 up against the worst team at home!
I just remembered why I was so glad when he left

http://youtu.be/id5miD_uZDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0Re9aBJt4

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2006, 09:59
BANNED!
Star Player

I think the youngsters-thing is actually blown out of proportion, I think a player should have an incredible amount of talent to be played at let's say 19, but in fact if I were coach I wouldnt play -23 yrs old players either cuz i do not believe in putting down youngsters just for the sake of it, Sollied follows the american path here where (except in the nba) -23 players are very scarce in starting teams and instead learn from the sidelines... it's a matter of vision actually...
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2006, 10:10
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutOofd
I think the youngsters-thing is actually blown out of proportion, I think a player should have an incredible amount of talent to be played at let's say 19, but in fact if I were coach I wouldnt play -23 yrs old players either cuz i do not believe in putting down youngsters just for the sake of it, Sollied follows the american path here where (except in the nba) -23 players are very scarce in starting teams and instead learn from the sidelines... it's a matter of vision actually...
Players learn more on the pitch then from the sidelines IMHO... It's just investing in the future and not looking short-term only

"You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2006, 13:24
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Yes, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone in the regular Olympiakos line up who's under 30. Yaya Toure is definitely the only under 29. Granted, he inherited an aged squad, but he never does any effort to give a chance to someone younger and most of his signings have been old. Even the players he wants to sign next year.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2006, 16:11
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
Yes, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone in the regular Olympiakos line up who's under 30. Yaya Toure is definitely the only under 29. Granted, he inherited an aged squad, but he never does any effort to give a chance to someone younger and most of his signings have been old. Even the players he wants to sign next year.
ok, I didnt know that, but at Brugge this wasnt the case sollied played mostly players in the 24-30 range
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2006, 22:17 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
ok, I didnt know that, but at Brugge this wasnt the case sollied played mostly players in the 24-30 range
did he actually bring up any player while he was there? Does any (young) player believe that he helped his career progress (except Lange)?
He's got a strange idea of attacking football, that's for sure....

I have to admit that he is organised though, especially when it comes to scouting etc. But I 'm sure that's normal in Belgium, its that clubs are too disorganised in Greece that we 're surprised with what he s been doing...
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2006, 22:49
BANNED!
Star Player

IMO, he has done that: it's due to him that brugge has first team youngsters right now (IMHO since almost everyone will disagree)
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2006, 07:39
Premier Player

Quote:
IMO, he has done that: it's due to him that brugge has first team youngsters right now (IMHO since almost everyone will disagree)
name me one youth player that got chances during Sollied's reign....

For Sollied, only the system matters...so the team he wants to play will play as much as possible, in order to get the looplijnen (English?) and the system completely into the team... that's why he will seldom make substitutions, give playing time to benched youngsters, etc...

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2006, 22:14
Star Player

Teams: BRUGGE Celtic,Schalke,VCF - Belgium, Slovenia
Quote:
That's not only incorrect, but also an insult to the work of Galjé, Janevski, Sanders and all the other people in Brugge's academy (not to mention Degryse).

'There has never been anything false about hope.' (Barack Obama)
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2006, 22:42
Premier Player

Teams: GLASGOW RANGERS, Queen of the South and West Ham
Looking for info on Thomas Buffel? Do you rate him etc......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in