WCQ: Belgium - Spain - Xtratime Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 05:03 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite
 
Carson35's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2000
Location: California, USA
Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Posts: 111,120
WCQ: Belgium - Spain

WCQ Group Seven: Belgium v Spain
10/8/2005 4:53:00 AM

If Spain want to be assured of a a play-off place at least then their strikers will have to regain some confidence and begin finishing off the numerous chacnes that side make when they meet Belgium in the crucial Group Seven qualifier on Saturday.
Despite boasting some incredible talent in their front-line, Luis Aragonés’ team have only managed to score 11 times in their eight outings and five of those goals came against San Marino.

Traditionally, the Furia Roja cruise through qualifying and then fail to perform in the major competitions themselves, but this time they have allowed themselves to put their future in other teams’ hands.

Dropping four home points in their last two matches have seen them go into the final round of matches in Group Seven having to win just to make it into a play-off and if they have any aspirations on finishing top then they must hope that Serbia & Montenegro slip up.

While the game in San Marino on Wednesday would appear to be three points in the bag, Saturday’s visit to Belgium will be far from easy.

The boss is still confident though and believes that his team will pick up six points from the final two games and not have to worry about the play-offs.

"We are going to win both games and we will finish first, I really believe that," Aragones said. "We are a better team than Belgium and that is what makes me optimistic.

"Serbia are going to have problems in their two games. They could easily slip up in one of them, although we have to do our bit and win our two as well."

Spain may have defeated the Belgians, 2-0, in Santander when the pair met a year ago, but the visitors had two men sent off during the game.

Aimé Anthuenis’ team still have a very realistic shout of claiming second place and will regret the poor start they made to qualification as they pick up just one point from their opening three matches.

The last time that Spain failed to make it to the World Cup Finals was in 1974 and the Belgians have been present at every tournament since 1978.

It appears very unlikely that both will make it this time and the match and this game will decide which one of them will not be going next summer.

TEAM NEWS

Belgium: Jelle Van Damme has become the latest injury victim for Anthuenis’ side and his absence could be a big blow. The Belgians are already without Anderlecht defender Vincent Kompany, Racing Genk’s KOen Daerden and Nice’s Roberto Bisconti. Stoke City’s Carl Heofkens has been drafted in and will replace Kompany in the defence.

Spain: Xavi and David Albelda will play alongside each other in the centre of midfield in the absence of Xabi Alonso, while Raúl, who is set to equal Fernando Hierro’s 89 games for Spain record, will partner Fernando Torres in attack.

PROBABLE LINE-UPS

Belgium: Proto; Vanden Borre, Van Buyten, Hoefkens, Deschacht; Buffel, Simons, Vanderhaeghe, Goor; Emile Mpenza, Mbo Mpenza

Spain: Casillas; Salgado, Puyol, Marchena, Antonio López; Joaquín, Xavi, Albelda, Vicente; Raúl, Torres

PREDICTION

Spain may not have convinced up until now, but they know the importance of this encounter and will use their short passing game to good effect. The victory may not be enough to see them automatically qualifyy. Belgium will have the home support on their side, but their injury list could well see them fail to overcome a Spanish side packed with high-class players and it is that ability that should see the visitors win the day.

Belgium 1 - 2 Spain

goal.com




My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...


Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Carson35 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 09:07
World Class Player
 
BozniaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Željezničar
Posts: 8,287
GOOO BELGIUM!!
BozniaN is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 10:52
Xtratime Legend
 
Krle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2002
Location: Rotterdam
Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
Posts: 40,555
Yeah, good luck guys, hope you give them hell for what happened in the first match!
Krle is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 17:09
Star Player
 
Kampfschwein's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2001
Location: Belgium
Teams: Royal Antwerp FC, Manchester United, Belgium
Posts: 3,575
You serbs seem to be more optimistic than us belgians.

I dont think there are (m)any belgians left who believe we can beat Spain let alone still qualify for the play-offs. I fear the spaniards are going to wipe to floor with us.
If Belgium wins I'll give myself a Beerschot-avatar and run over de meir singing Beerschot-chants. If we win by 3-0 I'll buy myself a Beerschot-season ticket.

"I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. my birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, came across a blood soaked baby, moi, and they raised me to be evil."
Kampfschwein is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 18:01
Premier Player
 
beerschot_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2004
Teams: Germinal Beerschot, Avenir Beggen!!
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfschwein
You serbs seem to be more optimistic than us belgians.

I dont think there are (m)any belgians left who believe we can beat Spain let alone still qualify for the play-offs. I fear the spaniards are going to wipe to floor with us.
If Belgium wins I'll give myself a Beerschot-avatar and run over de meir singing Beerschot-chants. If we win by 3-0 I'll buy myself a Beerschot-season ticket.
For the love of God I am praying Belgium wins....This bet is going to bite you right in the ass!!!!!!!! get ready: Wij Zijn Kielse Ratten!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.....oh man...Season tickets!!!!!!!



beerschot_fan is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 21:04
Star Player
 
Zloca's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2004
Teams: Juventus, Bayern, Chelsea, BIH NT
Posts: 4,109
lossing 2-0 cmon belgium, this is bad

Zemljo tisućljetna
Na vjernost ti se kunem
Od mora do Save
Od Drine do Une

Refren:
Jedna si jedina
moja domovina
Jedna si jedina
Bosna i Hercegovina

Bog nek' te sačuva
Za pokoljenja nova
Zemljo mojih snova
Mojih pradjedova
Zloca is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 22:31
Star Player
 
Kampfschwein's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2001
Location: Belgium
Teams: Royal Antwerp FC, Manchester United, Belgium
Posts: 3,575
Belgium-Reyes 0-2

Game kinda left me with a frustrated feeling.
Not because we didn't qualify (because everbody already accepted to fact we were elimanted 3 months ago) but because there was much in it and we simply deserved more today.

Belgium played a good game against a (looked like it) lacklustre Spanish team. Eventually the only thing between the 2 teams was subsitute Reyes.

Belgium dominated the whole of the play for the first 30-35 minutes. The best Belgium I saw the past 3 years. We should've scored than but wasted too many chances. The last 10 minutes the game became even.

After the first 10 minutes an invisible Vincente got substituted by Reyes. And on his first touches Reyes offered the perfect assists to (an even more invisible) Fernando Torres on counter-attacks. The first one was a high cross over the belgian defence, the second a low-cross Torres had only to tap in.

0-2. Game played, Spain was in a couch, could defend and Belgium wasn't able to do anything anymore.

"I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. my birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, came across a blood soaked baby, moi, and they raised me to be evil."
Kampfschwein is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 22:43
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Xtratime Legend
 
Almogàver's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2003
Location: Madrid
Teams: Futbol Club Barcelona
Posts: 40,147
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfschwein
Game kinda left me with a frustrated feeling.
Not because we didn't qualify (because everbody already accepted to fact we were elimanted 3 months ago) but because there was much in it and we simply deserved more today.

Belgium played a good game against a (looked like it) lacklustre Spanish team. Eventually the only thing between the 2 teams was subsitute Reyes.

Belgium dominated the whole of the play for the first 30-35 minutes. The best Belgium I saw the past 3 years. We should've scored than but wasted too many chances. The last 10 minutes the game became even.

After the first 10 minutes an invisible Vincente got substituted by Reyes. And on his first touches Reyes offered the perfect assists to (an even more invisible) Fernando Torres on counter-attacks. The first one was a high cross over the belgian defence, the second a low-cross Torres had only to tap in.

0-2. Game played, Spain was in a couch, could defend and Belgium wasn't able to do anything anymore.
Pretty good analysis. Belgium had their chance in the first half, but the team physically collapsed suddenly. I think that the difference was just the tecnical superiority of a couple of Spanish players (you mentioned Reyes, for example). Two lost actions changed the match and there wasn't story after that.

IMO, Belgium put all the effort and they definitely did what they had to do. But in any case, the lack of talent in this team is scary, especially compared with that NT (and the clubs) that amazed me in the 80s.

Good luck for the future guys.
Almogàver is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 22:56
Star Player
 
Kampfschwein's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2001
Location: Belgium
Teams: Royal Antwerp FC, Manchester United, Belgium
Posts: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koeman4
Pretty good analysis. Belgium had their chance in the first half, but the team physically collapsed suddenly. I think that the difference was just the tecnical superiority of a couple of Spanish players (you mentioned Reyes, for example). Two lost actions changed the match and there wasn't story after that.

IMO, Belgium put all the effort and they definitely did what they had to do. But in any case, the lack of talent in this team is scary, especially compared with that NT (and the clubs) that amazed me in the 80s.

Good luck for the future guys.
Eh.. yeah thanx.

Allthough I have some doubts.

Dont get wrong. From a technical point of view Spain is 10 times the team we are. I'm not going to claim the the opposite. But during the game I never had the feeling that the technical superiority of the spaniards got the overhand of the game. For a matter of fact the only spanish player that I showed his ammount of skill this game was Reyes. Spain took home their victory tonight because they were much more effecient to than us.
I just have hard time understanding how you can talk about a team with 'frightning lack of talent' after they just played your team of the field for something more than 1/3 the game.
Anyway dont want to sound like a sore loser. Just my point view.

Good luck in the next round.

"I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. my birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, came across a blood soaked baby, moi, and they raised me to be evil."

Last edited by Kampfschwein; October 8th, 2005 at 23:06.
Kampfschwein is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2005, 00:32
Star Player
 
Join Date: 08 1999
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Teams: Real Madrid
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfschwein
Eh.. yeah thanx.

Allthough I have some doubts.

Dont get wrong. From a technical point of view Spain is 10 times the team we are. I'm not going to claim the the opposite. But during the game I never had the feeling that the technical superiority of the spaniards got the overhand of the game. For a matter of fact the only spanish player that I showed his ammount of skill this game was Reyes. Spain took home their victory tonight because they were much more effecient to than us.
I just have hard time understanding how you can talk about a team with 'frightning lack of talent' after they just played your team of the field for something more than 1/3 the game.
Anyway dont want to sound like a sore loser. Just my point view.

Good luck in the next round.
Thanks for the luck. We never underestimated you (the Spanish public or media), infact we made such a big deal out of this game in respect to you. We remember 1986 very well and you've been to more WC's than 90% of Soccer Nations in the world........ believe me, we knew you're no pushover.

I'm not going to comment on the game since it's on tape so I will watch in a couple of hours.

BTW, did anyone go to the game? How was the Spanish section?

Still Madridista and apparently I have no honor
SPANIARD is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2005, 11:44
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Xtratime Legend
 
Almogàver's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2003
Location: Madrid
Teams: Futbol Club Barcelona
Posts: 40,147
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfschwein
Eh.. yeah thanx.

Allthough I have some doubts.

Dont get wrong. From a technical point of view Spain is 10 times the team we are. I'm not going to claim the the opposite. But during the game I never had the feeling that the technical superiority of the spaniards got the overhand of the game. For a matter of fact the only spanish player that I showed his ammount of skill this game was Reyes. Spain took home their victory tonight because they were much more effecient to than us.
I just have hard time understanding how you can talk about a team with 'frightning lack of talent' after they just played your team of the field for something more than 1/3 the game.
Anyway dont want to sound like a sore loser. Just my point view.

Good luck in the next round.
No, it's okay, we agree with this. I meant that Spain won the match in two individual actions. The first goal came after an amazing assist by Reyes and an impressive definition by Torres, that's what I was talking about. Spain didn't show any tecnical nor tactical superiority, but just in two actions, especially the first one.

I know what Spain is, just review my posts in the Spanish NT forum... I'm supposed to be the anti-Spanish for being so critical with the team.

I know that you dominated almost the whole first half, but from my point of view, it was more a matter of attitude than tecnical skill. I mean, if Belgium had better players, the result in the first half should have been easily a 2-0. A team has what it has and I have nothing to say about the attitude of Belgium in the first half, they gave everything. But if you're unlucky and you don't have the talent to kill a match when you have the chance, you pay it. The 2nd half has no story, the 2 early goals finished with it.

I think that the difference was that extra quality that has Reyes and Torres over other players. That's all. I spent the whole match "insulting" Torres, because he was literally gone, but suddenly he appeared a la Ronaldo, two actions and two goals.

I know that Belgium missed lots of players though.

IMO, Spain isn't a top NT, just a team who are able to win anyone anyday, but also able to do the opposite. Belgium is just a step below this. Don't get me wrong, I never wanted to dismiss your NT.
Almogàver is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2005, 14:37
gOD
***** *******
Legend
 
gOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 1999
Location: Hippotopia
Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Posts: 14,672
I agree, Belgium played a very good 1e half, but that was due to tactics (catch them on our half and immediately kick the ball to the M'penza's who used their speed to take advanateg of the space this approach created). It took us over 10 games but finally we used pressing. That said, even in those 35 minutes, our lack of technique was mindnumbing. I'm not talking about Raul, Reyes' or Joaquin's genuis, I'm talking about basic things as controlling a ball, playing a tight pass in the feet of a teammate,...

In that sence we once again learned nothing. After the game that wasn't even mentionned. No the TV commentators even started praisingYves vanderghaeghe and Goor who are the examples of this weakness. In that sence Belgium is the victim of a myth we created ourself. We always talk about the golden generation of the 80's as if they were just warriors. Well they were, Gerets, Vandereycken,... thopse were mean mothjf*ckkers (sopmething we lack now as well),... but they also were incredibly talented. Vercauteren, Vandereycken,... they needed 1 touch to control a ball. Unless we start accepting that we will miss out on all the coming tournaments as well.

We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace!

26.000 Faces :frownani:
gOD is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2005, 15:27
Star Player
 
Kampfschwein's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2001
Location: Belgium
Teams: Royal Antwerp FC, Manchester United, Belgium
Posts: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koeman4
No, it's okay, we agree with this. I meant that Spain won the match in two individual actions. The first goal came after an amazing assist by Reyes and an impressive definition by Torres, that's what I was talking about. Spain didn't show any tecnical nor tactical superiority, but just in two actions, especially the first one.

I know what Spain is, just review my posts in the Spanish NT forum... I'm supposed to be the anti-Spanish for being so critical with the team.

I know that you dominated almost the whole first half, but from my point of view, it was more a matter of attitude than tecnical skill. I mean, if Belgium had better players, the result in the first half should have been easily a 2-0. A team has what it has and I have nothing to say about the attitude of Belgium in the first half, they gave everything. But if you're unlucky and you don't have the talent to kill a match when you have the chance, you pay it. The 2nd half has no story, the 2 early goals finished with it.

I think that the difference was that extra quality that has Reyes and Torres over other players. That's all. I spent the whole match "insulting" Torres, because he was literally gone, but suddenly he appeared a la Ronaldo, two actions and two goals.

I know that Belgium missed lots of players though.

IMO, Spain isn't a top NT, just a team who are able to win anyone anyday, but also able to do the opposite. Belgium is just a step below this. Don't get me wrong, I never wanted to dismiss your NT.
I completely agree. That was pretty much what I was trying to say.

"I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. my birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, came across a blood soaked baby, moi, and they raised me to be evil."
Kampfschwein is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome