Are they really players from OUR national team ? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2000, 18:23 Thread Starter
Premier Player

This is something what is really bothering me and i just have to know some other opinions..
Do you think that it is a good thing for our national team that we are using naturalized players to fill the places ?

I mean, is it a good thing that we used Branko Struper (Croatian) to take position in the attack while we have our own Belgian players..

I must honestly admit that i didn't regret him to be their against Holland in the friendlys but what did he brought us in the 'real' games ? Nothing.. We could have used other players there.

Also the fact about Vidovic who was used on the World Championship in France. We could have used other players for that place and it would be better.

Now also Hasi and Ilic want to be 'Belgian' and play in the national team. I don't mind them to become Belgian because most of them lived here already many years and are feeling this as their second home. But they shouldn't do it to be in our national team so they can also play on some European and World championships.

Give our Belgian players a chance .. !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2000, 17:54
gOD
Legend

I don't know. Maybe your right, they should do it only to paly for our nationale team. But what if they do? Will we neglect them?

I think the question is: are they good enough to play for our national side. True when Branko scored those grat goals against Holland I was very happy. But when he took the belgium nationality and after the euro, i asked myself aren't there Belgian players who are better? The only aswer is yes. With Nilis we had a player who is much more talented. With Cavens and of course kevin, Cedric Roussel there were other (young!) talented players.

This was the case with Strupar and about Vidovic I won't even talk. Never seen someone who has that little talent. No coďncidence it was Leekens' idea to put him on the national team.

I only want to say that in the clubs second rang foreigners are given the chance to play instead of our (more expencive and less expirienced) young talents. This has to change and it won't change if the national team is taking over this wrong tacktic
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2000, 18:40 Thread Starter
Premier Player

For me only real born Belgians should play for the national team. I wouldn't reject a player like Mpenza because he is born and raised in Belgium. He just has some african roots...

Also if the foreigner is more talented then the belgian player for that position we should let the belgian one play. It maybe might not be the best choice on that moment but it will be better for the future.

What if Waseige calls Hasi over Bassegio ? I don't think he would but you never know.. It would be terrible !

We have many young talented players and we should use them in a good way. Not overhype him or putting too much pressure on the guy.

Belgium has a great future ahead with players and we still can do better. I mean all this for our norms ofcourse. We are no Brazil or Argentina

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in