Euro 2000 or 2008? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 15:41 Thread Starter
Pepe the Beast
Star Player

Teams: Real Madrid & the North London Bank of French Shylock
Euro 2000 or 2008?

Okay I think we can all say that Euro 2008 has been one of the better international tournaments in a while. I thought I'd ask the big question, Euro 2000 or Euro 2008.

Mind you, I got this idea from a similar thread on the bigsoccer board made by a guy named excape goat. I did add some games, players, etc... though to his original post.

Euro 2008
Teams at one point announced themselves as real contenders: Spain, Portugal, Germany, Russia, Holland.
Exciting teams: Turkey, Spain, Russia, Holland, Austria
Dramatic and/or exciting matches: Turkey-Switzerland, Turkey-Czech Republic, Austria-Croatia, Holland-Italy, Holland-France, Russia-Sweden, Germany-Portugal, Russia-Holland, Turkey-Croatia and Germany-Turkey.
the big name players: Ballack, Ronaldo, Toni, Ribery, RVN, Torres, Villa, Casillas, Buffon, etc...
Top performers: Arshavin, Villa, Ballack, schweinsteiger, Sneijder, Gio, Silva, Casillas, Buffon, Turan, Chiellini etc...
Best goals: Ballack's free kick, Nihat's cool game winning finish, Sneijder's long shot against France, Sneijders Counter against Italy, Robben's no angle goal, Ibra copying Fiore's goal of Euro 2000, etc....

Euro 2000
Teams at one point announced themselves as real contenders: Holland, Italy, Portugal, France, Spain
Exciting teams: Spain, Holland, Portugal, France, Italy
Dramatic and/or exciting matches: Portugal-England, Germany-England, Romania-England, Turkey-Belgium, Spain-Yugoslavia, Yugoslavia-Slovenia, Holland-the Czech Republic, Holland-France, France-Spain, Holland-Yugoslavia, France-Portugal, Holland-Italy, Italy-France.
Big name players: Zidane, Figo, Raul, Hagi, Maldini, Del Piero, Bergkamp, etc... (It really is amazing how many I could list here )
Star performers: Zidane, Totti, Italy's defence, Toldo, Barthez, Frank De Boar, Figo, Davids, Viera, Kluivert, Henry, etc...
Best goals: Zidane Free-kick, Fiore's 1-2, De Boar's Free kick, Figo's lucky deflection (don't know why but everyone seems to love this one), Pinto's amazing header, France's awesome counter against the Danes etc...

So what is your guys take?

I personally still feel that Euro 2000 had that special magical quality to it that Euro 2008 hasn't quite capture. I think it is probably because of the amazing amount of quality, great players that were in Euro 2000 and the fact that most of the great teams played up to their potential. Where as in Euro 2008 the most of the stars have flopped and Except for Spain none of the big teams were able to reach their peak along with getting far.(obviously Holland and MAYBE Portugal were great during the group stages)

I support a corporation in Northern London.

Go Gunners...... Inc.

Show me your clubs trophy cabinet and I'll show you our financial statements.... Excluding employee expenses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 15:48
BANNED!
International

I'd go for Euro 2008 simply because of the legends that were playing at the tournie (Maldini, Totti, Zidane, Figo, Deschamps, Vieira etc.)
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 15:52
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
Euro 2000, because of the legends , and in their prime too

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 15:52
Legend

Teams: AC Milan, Italian NT
EURO 2000... just the end of it was simply simply wrong and Del Piero should be eternally whip-slashed in hell for his misses in the final. And the ref for the absurd ammount of injury time.

But 2000 was really magic. And two years later there was WC 2002... lets hope this aint a bad omen for WC 2010.

BTW how has Austria been an exciting team this EURO?

Tu sei tutta la mia vita

Londra 22 Maggio 1963
Madrid 28 Maggio 1969
Barcellona 24 Maggio 1989
Vienna 23 Maggio 1990
Atene 18 Maggio 1994
Manchester 28 Maggio 2003
Atene 23 Maggio 2007

La storia si repete... ancora una volta...

7 volte CAMPIONI D'EUROPA
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 15:57 Thread Starter
Pepe the Beast
Star Player

Psycho, as much as I agree with your sentiment about the final, you still have to admit that was magical as well to the neutral viewers. I hope Spain and Germany can produce even half as dramatic of a game as that one.

Austria was exciting because they didn't know how to defend and kept attacking. It made the games more dramatic, not saying they were technically great to watch.

Go Gunners...... Inc.

Show me your clubs trophy cabinet and I'll show you our financial statements.... Excluding employee expenses.
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 16:09
DAJE ROMA
International

Teams: Roma,Egypt
Euro 2000 was better:drama and intersting games + big names players and a much better semi-final .

2006/2007 and 2007/2008
Roma prediction league winner
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 17:37
Legend

Euro2000 was miles better. People are getting carried away with hyping this tuornement.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 17:48
Legend

Teams: AC Milan, Italian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalUltra View Post
Psycho, as much as I agree with your sentiment about the final, you still have to admit that was magical as well to the neutral viewers. I hope Spain and Germany can produce even half as dramatic of a game as that one.

Austria was exciting because they didn't know how to defend and kept attacking. It made the games more dramatic, not saying they were technically great to watch.
As a neutral viewer, I hope the better team wins and not manages to overcome the dominating side due to luck and ref help, even if it is dramatic, so no, **** the final of EURO 2000

Austria IMO dont know how to defend nor to attack, in short they dont know how to play football and are easily one of the worst side ever to host an EURO. I still dont get why you considerd them exciting. Or are you confusing them with Switzerland?

Tu sei tutta la mia vita

Londra 22 Maggio 1963
Madrid 28 Maggio 1969
Barcellona 24 Maggio 1989
Vienna 23 Maggio 1990
Atene 18 Maggio 1994
Manchester 28 Maggio 2003
Atene 23 Maggio 2007

La storia si repete... ancora una volta...

7 volte CAMPIONI D'EUROPA
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 17:52
Rising Star

Teams: Milan/USA
Euro 2000. The theme song was better too.
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 18:10
Legend

Teams: Fenerbahçe, Türkiye
It's too soon to judge this. Some of the posts refer to the legends playing then. They were great players, but only became legends later on, right?
Some of the stars of this tournament might end up being legends in the future too...and we'll remember when legends like Arshavin lit up this tournament.

"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules, and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting."
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 18:38
World Class Player

Teams: Italy NT
euro 2000 is better except del piero 2 incredible misses
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 18:46
Historian
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
EURO 2000... just the end of it was simply simply wrong and Del Piero should be eternally whip-slashed in hell for his misses in the final. And the ref for the absurd ammount of injury time.

But 2000 was really magic. And two years later there was WC 2002... lets hope this aint a bad omen for WC 2010.
lol has anyone ever explained where all that injury time came from for France to equalize?

About your omen..hope you are wrong. 2002 was the worst tourno in my lifetime!:thmbdown:
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 02:14
Legend

i dont think its amuch of a contest at all Euro 2000 was outrageous and certainly better although the many Italy detractors will probably choose Euro2008

O INTER O MORTE!!!!!!

Fernando Torres on English defenders "....the truth is most of them lack defensive positioning as a result of their reliance on strength and aggression and leave so much space for you to take advantage of.”

David Trezeguet: Anyway to score in European Cups is easier if compared to Serie A league, since in Champions League clubs give more space to opponents
post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 02:20 Thread Starter
Pepe the Beast
Star Player

Why?

Italy was 3 times the team in 2000 as in 2008?

I loved watching them back then. This tournament watching italy was like watching paint dry, except boring.

Heartbreak in a final won't change that.

Go Gunners...... Inc.

Last edited by Frankie; June 29th, 2008 at 02:44.
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 02:30
Rising Star

Oh, yes. Your team hasn't gotten far in this tournament, so naturally.. this tournament is no good. The tournament in which your team was involved in had much more quality, and talent. Thus was more exciting.

Will you guys just shut the **** up? And stop de-flaming a tournament because your team got eliminated from it?

How many games in 2000 were decided in the dying minutes?

How many underdog teams did well in 2000?

What the hell was so special about that tournament? The fact that your team got far? Take that statement, and shove it up your....
post #16 of 99 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 02:36
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemes1s View Post
Euro 2000. The theme song was better too.

post #17 of 99 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 02:54 Thread Starter
Pepe the Beast
Star Player

Sorry I ment to say Italy was like watching paint dry not the tournament. Like i said in the title, I have enjoyed watching this tournament. It does help to read the post before replying to it.

Quote:
How many underdog teams did well in 2000?
Ah yes, because that decides whether a tournament is good or not. Obviously since Greece won Euro 2004 and that was one of the biggest surprises in sports history that made the tournament amazing.

So let me get this straight, you joined a message board so that you could argue that Euro 2008 has been a good tournament and tell us to stop complaining.... All I have to say is Feck off Platini, you frog eating douche.

Go Gunners...... Inc.

post #18 of 99 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 03:02
Rising Star

No, I haven't joined this board to argue that this Euro has been a good tournament. I know this was a good tournament, as I believe do other people.

It's just irritating to read a group of people that are all from a same country argue that 2000 was better than 08. You are all from Italy, right? Why don't you go run ahead to the Italy's section, and express your opinions there?

Hell, you're out of 08. What the hell are you trying to accomplish in this section? Save some face, perhaps?

I should tell you that no matter how much you defame this tournament, everybody saw Italy humiliated and that's not going to change.

It's time to move on

PS: I actually think EURO 04 was the worst of all EUROs I've watched.

Last edited by ziggi; June 29th, 2008 at 03:09.
post #19 of 99 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 03:19
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggi View Post
What the hell was so special about that tournament?
Oh please.. how old are you?

The amount of good games during Euro 2000 is not matchable by any other tournament including this one. So many dramatic events, so many classical moments, Raul missing the famous PK against France, Conceição hattrick against Germany, Italy defending with 10 men against Holland till the end with Kliuvert missing two PK's and Toldo becoming God-like , Totti's famous PK, England wasting a two-goal lead against Portugal with Figo scoring that crazy goal, France debatable PK against Portugal in the QF. Add to that a dramatic final, and you get the best football tournament ever.

All those great games happened that summer:
Spain 4- Yugoslavia 3
Yugoslavia 3 - Slovenia 3
Portugal 3- England 2
Portugal 3- Germany 0
England 2 - Romania 3
France 2 - Holland 3
France 2- Spain 1
Holland - Italy
Italy 1 - France 2

Best summer of my life!
post #20 of 99 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 03:20
Rising Star

Let me guess.. Another Italian?

:irritate:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in