Euro 2008: fantastic tournament, crap goalkeeping - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 22:24 Thread Starter
International

Euro 2008: fantastic tournament, crap goalkeeping

I am not sure if I am the only one noticing it, but there is a bizarre phenomenon going on here: while we saw some amazing football and an overall great tournament, the one weakness seems to be the goalkeeper position. Boruc, Van der Sar, Casillas, Akinfeev and Volkan are the only goalkeepers that left me a really good impression, the others vary from insecure to simply unreliable. That is very bizarre, the only players hugely underperforming seem to be goalkeepers...

Ricardo (Portugal): fumbled twice against Germany (especially the first and third goal) which cost his team a semi final spot

Petr Cech (Czech Rep.): two fumbles against Turkey in less than 10 minutes, partially responsible for the elimination of his team

Recber Rüstü (Turkey): a huge mistake leaving his goal too early which lead to an almost lethal Croatian goal in the quarter finals, and today in the semi against Germany he made a huge mistake on the second German goal when he again left his goal and completely missed the ball. Left a very insecure impression overall as well against Croatia.

Jens Lehmann (Germany): the only guy whose mistakes have not cost his team elimination yet. But he gives me no reliable impression. Today against Turkey he makes a mistake on both goals: first goal he could have saved but just lets the ball slip through both hands and legs, second goal he waits too long to leave his goal and leaves the corner of the goal open. Against Portugal he was decent but still hesitated on the Portuguese cross leading to the second goal. During the game against Croatia, he could have saved the second Croat goal if he didn't leave the corner of the goal open. Made some other mistakes where he was lucky none of them had gone in. Totally ununderstandable that he still is nr 1 while a huge talent like Adler remains on the bench...

Gregory Coupet (France): right at the moment France was putting Holland under pressure, he makes a capital and big mistake on the 2-0.

What is it with the goalies at this tournament? We've seen too many goalkeeping errors for a tournament which should involve the best ones in Europe. Sure, Van der Sar and Casillas were impressing, Akinfeev did his duty well, Boruc and Buffon were decent, but the rest was left unnoticed or was mainly noticed by big mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 22:30
Premier Player

Teams: Dynamo Kyiv, CSKA Moskva, Ukraine, Russia, USA
Maybe Cech and Lehmann were right that it's the ball's fault.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 22:33
International

I wouldnt put the blame all on the keepers, the defending in general has been dreadful all tournament.

Romania were the only ones who looked pretty solid defensively.

Not that im complaining, its meant the games have been more exciting as a result.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 22:36 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevagol View Post
Maybe Cech and Lehmann were right that it's the ball's fault.
But all goalies use the same ball. If VD Sar, Casillas and such play superb games and pull of fantastic saves, then why would another goalkeeper not be able to do it? To blame it on the ball is a quite bad excuse unless every single goalie has problems with it, which is clearly not the case.

Besides, those guys have been training with the new ball for weeks now...
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 22:39
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures View Post
But all goalies use the same ball. If VD Sar, Casillas and such play superb games and pull of fantastic saves, then why would another goalkeeper not be able to do it? To blame it on the ball is a quite bad excuse unless every single goalie has problems with it, which is clearly not the case.

Besides, those guys have been training with the new ball for weeks now...
It might explain all the fumbling of the ball. Might be an excuse for Cech and Ricardo with fumbling, although I think Ricardo sucks while Cech is class.

Lehmann has been exposed, but his teammates are saving him.

I agree though, lots of stupid mistakes such as goalkeepers coming out early.

Casillas has been the best GK in the tournament.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2008, 15:06
Premier Player

You forgot Nikopolidis.

2nd goal vs Swden, the walk around the pitch against Russia.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2008, 15:13
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: ACF Fiorentina 1926
Quote:
Boruc, Van der Sar, Casillas, Akinfeev and Volkan are the only goalkeepers that left me a really good impression, the others vary from insecure to simply unreliable. That is very bizarre, the only players hugely underperforming seem to be goalkeepers...

Boruc, Van der Sar, Casillas, Akinfeev, Volkan and Buffon are the only goalkeepers that left me a really good impression, the others vary from insecure to simply unreliable. That is very bizarre, the only players hugely underperforming seem to be goalkeepers...

There you go.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2008, 15:38
Rising Star

Teams: AFC Ajax
Coupet didn't make a "big mistake" vs Holland.

but indeed many mistakes but in my memory there are always many mistakes in tournaments. when it comes to goalkeeping, the sport has still a lot to improve.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2008, 15:42 Thread Starter
International

Isn't it going downhill actually? This generation still has no goalie that has yet reached the level of for example Zoff, Schmeichel, Yashin, Banks, ..... Buffon and Casillas have the potential for it maybe, but the numbers of truly great goalkeepers seems to go downhill.

Still, you expect keepers at a Euro Cup to be at least decent and not make several big mistakes like Ricardo, Rustu and Cech did for example.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2008, 15:53
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Quote:
Gregory Coupet (France): right at the moment France was putting Holland under pressure, he makes a capital and big mistake on the 2-0.
Again, get yourself in the goal, I'll shot a center coming as great as the one of Robben right at you. See how you would save that ball, which you propably couldn't

Apart from that, Cech is the only top goalkeeper who made a mistake. I don't reckon the ones like Ricardo and Nikopolidis as top goalkeepers.

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2008, 23:23
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, România
Lobont made big big saves against Italy and Holland.

I think the goalkeeping level was good in the tournament, except some clear mistakes ala Rustu or Cech.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2008, 23:51
Premier Player

I think it also has to do with crap defenders.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 00:07
Legend

interestingly football goes in cycles

Defences step up and strikers step up defencive midfielders step up and then attacking midfielders step up which lasted for abt 4 years then the flair came back for abt for 96-2000 or so then defences were on top again and now attackin has stepped up a bit more.

if anyone looks at football historically they will see what i mean. Attack is on top right now

Its mirrored in the years between big tournaments by the club teams as in who gets far in the CL and Uefa cup. Some seasons more defencive leagues do well in europe while more attackings ones do....its these kind of studeis them germans do them official association of statisticians and football analyst...u know which group i mean can't remember their exact name

But it is indeed a science just like actuarial science before it official invention was thought to be some kinda superstition done by them crazies in the left wing of the building...prediction of trends in fotball is quite possible as it stems from scientifically imperical statistics

Anyway u check it out for yr self Crackyboy

It all goes in cycles

Its all a cycle....Italia 90 was the defencive step up countered by t

O INTER O MORTE!!!!!!

Fernando Torres on English defenders "....the truth is most of them lack defensive positioning as a result of their reliance on strength and aggression and leave so much space for you to take advantage of.”

David Trezeguet: Anyway to score in European Cups is easier if compared to Serie A league, since in Champions League clubs give more space to opponents
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 19:19 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA View Post
Again, get yourself in the goal, I'll shot a center coming as great as the one of Robben right at you. See how you would save that ball, which you propably couldn't

Apart from that, Cech is the only top goalkeeper who made a mistake. I don't reckon the ones like Ricardo and Nikopolidis as top goalkeepers.
That I would probably not save the ball is quite irrelevant I think. I have played goalkeeper for several years but never got above the recreational (aka "pub team") level, which means the lowest possible tier of football. From a professional goalkeeper who is the nr 1 goalkeeper of a team playing Champions League every year, you do expect him to save some balls that the average amateur goalkeeper would not save. Even several French fans admitted Coupet should have saved that ball.

Other than that I agree with you on Ricardo and Nikopolidis, but what with Rustu (elected goalkeeper of the year 5 years ago and used to be amongst the best in the world a few years ago), Lehmann, etc?? Those are goalies who do have a very good reputation even though they are getting a bit older...

The only goalkeepers that really convinced me were Van der Sar, Casillas, Akinfeev, maybe Volkan and Buffon and Boruc.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2008, 20:06
Star Player

Teams: Hrvatska, Hajduk Split, Toronto FC
Pletikosa was solid, although he was hardly tested apart from the two goals which were unsaveable.

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 07:54
pun
International

Ricardo. Please die.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 10:35
Star Player

Teams: Galatasaray, Milan, TURKIYE
Volkan's stupid act and Servet's injury cost us the final.

"Without struggle there is no progress" Frederick Douglas.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 13:24
PMC
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Romania
how you guys forget about Lobont is ridiculous... he made some of the most spectacular saves in this tournament

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itidLk5Dd3k

^ a world without romania

I support: Romania, romanian teams in europe, Rapid Vienna

the most accurate Pro Evolution stats in the World!

I'm a Rapper and WWE Forum Manager

http://www.myspace.com/pemcee
NEW SONGS UP @ 07.01.08 = turkish, romanian, german and english hip hop
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2008, 13:29
BANNED!
International

Lehmann was woeful in the semi-final. How will he do in the final I wonder?
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2008, 00:15 Thread Starter
International

Although overall he played decent, Lehmann once again made a mistake in the final and this time it was lethal. Why the heck did he leave his goal that far when there were 2 defenders close to Torres? If Lehmann had not left his goal, he at least had a chance to save the shot once Torres passed the defenders...

Again I don't understand why Lehmann even played this tournament when Germany has such a great goalkeepers like Neuer and Adler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in