Rookie coaches - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 13:41 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
Rookie coaches

One thing I can't understand is big nations like Netherlands and Italy hiring totally inexperienced coaches for such big tourneys. Coaching plays a big part in football and I can't believe these nations would not go for the best (proven).

In Netherlands case, you have Van Basten who wanted to play a certain system but then his players made him change the system back to the original. What kind of coach is that? He doesn't have the ability to communicate why his system is better? That's a sign of a bad coach.

Then you have Donadoni, who made what, 5 or 6 changes, after the opening loss where Italy looked horrible. I don't think I've ever seen that before and there is a reason for that. It seems he is just testing different things, trying to light a fire, but he has no real knowledge. Basically guessing..trying different things to see if they work.

Last night watching Russia beat Netherlands confirmed this. In the end, a good coach (Hiddink) was able to make Russia execute, both offensively and defensively, at a very high level. They beat Netherlands in their own game. While Netherlands, with all that skill, was not able to transition well, they had poor execution, and there was a lack of support. That is all coaching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 13:45
BANNED!
International

One of the problems is a lack of good coaches that are available.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 13:50
World Class Player

Teams: AC Milan, Levski
I think coaching a national team is a real pain in the ass. You have 1 big tournament every 2 years and the qualification is usually a breeze for the big teams (Please dont mention England or ill smack you p). So you prep 2 years for this tournament and if you fail you are a bad coach or if you go far you are a master tactician. Plus you get very limited time with the players and although the core is the same the squad always changes. It is much harded to be a national team coach in my opinion so not many are willing to take the job. Especially in Italy's case as they were world champions so the pressure was huge.

BTW if Italy lose today I have great fear that Donadoni will go and will be replaced by....... Mancini

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 13:52
BANNED!
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_milan_foreva View Post
BTW if Italy lose today I have great fear that Donadoni will go and will be replaced by....... Mancini
Maybe Lippi. Be optimistic...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 14:12
Nun c'č Problema!
Star Player

Teams: Team without Totti
Quote:
Please god no, never thought of that scenario
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 14:22
International

Every coach starts off unexperienced at some point... Mourinho had only a couple of years experience with first team coaching and never coached any big club before he took over at Porto. Two seasons later he had won two European trophies and became a hot topic in the whole of Europe.

There's more examples of young coaches who immediately reach for the highest. Experience obviously helps but it is no guarantee for success.

van Basten is heavily criticised by many Dutch fans anyway, lot of them hate him for mainly the poor football during the qualifiers, but meanwhile he did get some good results and may even have proven his critics wrong. So I am not sure if you consider him a failure, would an experienced coach really have gotten more out of the team?
Bilic is another example, still very young but didn't Croatia get fantastic results with him in charge? They were very unlucky against Turkey but meanwhile had beaten England twice, won against Germany, ...
Mourinho was only 39 or 40 when he already won everything he could possibly win with Porto...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 14:26 Thread Starter
Legend

Cracked

I don't think a coach needs experience, but the things these guys have done, make it easy to question if they know what they are doing. In Bilic's case, its hard to question. He seems to know his stuff. But overall, its a much bigger risk.

It just seems too, these guys got the job based on their playing career. But as we all know..being a good player does not make you a good coach.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 14:33
Legend

It's all about who you learn from. It's always good to be an assistant manager before a manager. At least for 2-3 years.

You'll win. You'll play to win. But whatever the result, you were always winners in my heart and champions. And you'll stay that way. GOD HELP YOU!

- Fatih Terim, UEFA Cup final vs. Arsenal pre talk.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:14
Rising Star

Hey Bilic is 39 and he's the best coach we have ever had!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2008, 06:30
Premier Player

Teams: Dynamo Kyiv, CSKA Moskva, Ukraine, Russia, USA
Well, van Basten was the Dutch coach since '04. So this was his second major tournament. Although when he was first hired, his only experience was with the Ajax B team. Hard to blame them for sticking with him through Euro '08, but he might not have been the greatest initial hire in '04.

However, I would agree with Donadoni. Probably has no business being the Italian NT coach.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 08:38
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

To be a successful coach you need a vision of what success is, a good philosophy, great communication & motivation skills, a sense of humour, and respect. I would say humilty, but i don't see any coaches with that in the top level, maybe Ancelotti.

buve - the shit on the heel of Italian football.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Sent from my Computer using a keyboard.

Irish commentator during 94 WC - 'The Baggio brothers, are of course, not related.'
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 10:34
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
Hey Bilic is 39 and he's the best coach we have ever had!
I was just about to mention him. There are positives of a young coach as well. He is very very motivated and can translate that to his players and there are coaches who are tactically gifted at a young age too.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 14:08 Thread Starter
Legend

This is about rookie coaches, not young coaches. (guys that lack good club experience..for whatever reason) As mentioned, I do think Bilic is a good coach, but then again Croatia doesn't' exactly have a lot of choices. Italy, Netherlands, and some of these top nations do have more choice.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 14:25
Rising Star

Teams: AFC Ajax
there's a lack of good coaches in our country right now. Hiddink, Beenhakker, Rijkaard and Van Gaal all have been national coach in the past and they won't go for it again. Cruijff won't do it because of health reasons. Van Basten was chosen because he's a huge name and there was nobody else left. now Van Marwijk will be the coach who's won the UEFA Cup once. not really an impressive coach but there just aren't any other options. Stevens, Jol, Verbeek and Rutten are future candidates.

Van Basten only trained a youth team for a year and it showed in his reign as national coach. he didn't have the experience to make it work. only when the players asked for a tactic change things started to go well.... only to get defeated by Russia with a smart coach who knew exactly how to stop that tactic.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2008, 18:33
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Basically cos our FA doesn't want to stump up the cash. I'm sure Hiddink would come back were we to offer 3 million a year so what our head of FA does is phone up Cruyff and ask for which one of his young disciples he thinks is best at taking over hence Rijkaard and van Basten.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in