Austria - Poland | 12/06/08 20H45 - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: What do you expect from this game ?
Austria wins ! 3 15.79%
Draw 8 42.11%
Poland wins ! 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 152 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2008, 06:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
Austria - Poland | 12/06/08 20H45

Austria - Poland
Vienna - Ernst Happel

Well already an eliminating game for both team. The winner will still have a big chance to qualify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2008, 06:53
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, PL NT
Alright. Poland's turn to shine.

Last edited by pablome; June 11th, 2008 at 15:36.
post #3 of 152 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 22:29
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
match preview...

http://www.channel4.com/sport/footba...8/aus-pol.html

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....

post #4 of 152 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 22:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Pretty much torn over this.

I'd like Don Leo and Smoli to do well but on the other hand, I'd also like to see one of the hosts make it to the next round.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #5 of 152 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 22:36
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Pretty much torn over this.

I'd like Don Leo and Smoli to do well but on the other hand, I'd also like to see one of the hosts make it to the next round.
They had their chance but they are some the most weakest hosts to date. Impressive up to now in a way but still who cares. Just cuz u host doesn't mean u deserve to go far.

Whatever Austria does here...wont matter cuz Germans will tear em up last game. And Poland should do the same.p
Stick to ur Dutch optimism instead. Cheer for Leo and Smoli lol
post #6 of 152 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 22:44
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson35 View Post
thanks for the crappy article lol
not much to say about Poland.
wats there to say i guess lol
post #7 of 152 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 22:45
Premier Player

On a side note.
Both Austria and Poland are Euro Championship Virgins. First time ever coming into this tournament.
I guess you can say Croatia and Germany popped our cherries at our first game.
post #8 of 152 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 23:05
Premier Player

Someones out to get our coach during training

Naughty Naughty:rollani:
Attached Images

post #9 of 152 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 23:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Poland,3-1.

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion
post #10 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 00:40
Premier Player

No margin for error in Vienna
by Trevor Haylett from Vienna

Both Austria and Poland will walk a tightrope at the Ernst-Happel-Stadion knowing that one false move could lead to their early departure from UEFA EURO 2008™.

'Optimistic by nature'
For Austria the situation is arguably more acute. Prior to this tournament, Belgium in 2000 had been the only host nation since 1980 not to progress from the group stage and they will be desperate not to follow neighbours Switzerland in suffering early elimination. Coach Josef Hickersberger said: "This will be a decisive match for both teams, we both have to win in order to have a chance of moving up to the quarter-finals. Of course [failure to qualify] would be a great disappointment for myself, the team, each individual player and all Austria. I'm not going to speculate about disasters because I am optimistic by nature and I believe we will still have a chance [of making progress] after the game with Poland."

Inspiring subs
Both teams, who are making their first appearance at a UEFA European Championship final tournament, began their Group B campaigns with defeat. Austria were undone by a fourth-minute penalty against Croatia but there was enough improvement in their second-half display to inspire hope of a different result this time. The coach is mulling over changes and both Ivica Vastic and Ümit Korkmaz, who revitalised the team as substitutes, are in contention for starting roles. Poland are in the same position and Hickersberger has impressed on the Austrian supporters that they will be difficult opponents. "They qualified for the World Cup in 2006 and for this tournament they qualified ahead of Portugal so they're very strong. But we're convinced we have a team that is able not only to play well but also to win."

'Higher expectations'

According to Hickersberger, expectations may weigh more heavily on Poland because of their greater experience of major finals. "In Austria we are realistic," the Austria coach added. "We know the international position we currently hold. Nevertheless we set ourselves ambitious goals and as long as we can still reach those goals we will believe in our chances. For Poland it is a different situation – they have to meet higher expectations." Austria's opponents, however, went down 2-0 to Germany on Sunday and lost captain Maciej Żurawski to a muscle injury while Mariusz Lewandowski is struggling with an ankle problem, so Roger Guerreiro and Marek Saganowski stand by to deputise.

Home effect
Hickersberger's opposite number, Leo Beenhakker, has also warned his side to beware the "home effect" that may rouse Austria to greater heights. "Many times in tournaments we've seen the host team playing at a much higher level based on the atmosphere around the team and among the people," he said. "We see it in every discipline in sport and in the Olympics when the home nation picks up the most prizes. This is a match to stay in the tournament so from that regard we're almost doing the same job as coaches. The two teams are very similar in that the strongest element is the team itself. Neither of us have a [Thierry] Henry or a [Ruud] van Nistelrooy, players who can make the difference in a game, but that doesn't mean we don't have good players."
post #11 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 00:58
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
it will be a tight game in my opinion, Austria need to do better in creating some chances, they look fit and determined but really outside of set pieces and long range efforts they never really challenged on goal. Poland will probably win 2:0, which isn't good for Croatia

ideally, I'd like this match to end in a draw, maybe even Austria win, but who knows the tricks the Germans and Austrians will pull off in the final match
post #12 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 00:59
Premier Player

Ernst Happel Stadium - Vienna Austria 20:45 June 12

Ernst Happel Stadium - Vienna
Attached Images

post #13 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 01:06
Premier Player

Lewandowski is doubtful for tomorrow's match?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...545564&cc=5901

Lets hope he heals more and can come in later. Else better to save him for the Croatia match(that if we win this one at least).

Too many injuries in this tournament except for those teams that are solely dominating their matches.
post #14 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 14:29
Nun c'č Problema!
Star Player

Teams: Team without Totti
Good luck Poland I'll root for you, hope you win this one. You always qualify to the final stages but then fail.Maybe for starters Poland will win today

Poland - Austria 1:0 (Smolarek)
post #15 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 15:18
Rising Star

Teams: Wisla
Our squad for today match:
Boruc - Zewlakow,Jop,Bak,Wasilewski - Krzynowek,Dudka,Lewandowski,Smolarek - Roger,Saganowski

three change:
Golanski->Jop (who 'll play DC, Zewlakow go to left side)
Zurawski->Roger
Lobodzinski->Saganowski (Smolarek right wing, Saganowski striker)
post #16 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 15:45
Premier Player

Arnold Schwarzenegger VS Mariusz Pudzianowski

Austria VS Polska
Attached Images

post #17 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 15:51
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Mariusz Pudziankowski is funny as hell p

he always screams "Polska duro" or something like that
post #18 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 15:55
Premier Player

Greek Coach helping Austrians

http://sport.onet.pl/0,1264200,1767661,wiadomosc.html
translated from google (not that good lol)...:

Trainer champions of Europe, not left to dry thread taktyce Beenhakkera
Przegląd Sportowy/MM /08:25 Review of Sports / MM / 08:25

In the match against Austrians will be more difficult than we thought. Our help is one of the best in Europe tactically,says Otto Rehhagel. Our competitors helps because one of the best tactics in Europe, Otto Rehhagel. Selekcjoner reprezentacji Grecji oglądał mecz Polaków z Niemcami i na prośbę austriackiej federacji (OFB) rozpracował biało-czerwonych. Selekcjoner representation of Greece watched the match with the Germans and Poles at the request of the Austrian federation (OFB) rozpracował white and red. Na taktyce, wymyślonej przez Leo Beenhakkera, nie zostawił suchej nitki. On taktyce, imaginary by Leo Beenhakkera, left not a dry thread.
Rehhagel swoje dane i spostrzeżenia przekazał Williemu Ruttensteinerowi, skautowi pracującemu w OFB. Rehhagel their data and observations transmitted Williemu Ruttensteinerowi, skautowi working for the OFB. Zapoznał się już z nimi selekcjoner Austriaków Josef Hickersberger. Already acquainted with them selekcjoner Austrians Josef Hickersberger. Pod wpływem Rehhagela ma zmienić nieco taktykę na czwartkowy mecz. Under the influence of Rehhagela has to change tactics slightly on Thursday match. Informację tę potwierdza dziennik "Osterreich" który ma bardzo dobre kontakty z szefami austriackiej federacji. This information confirms the journal "Osterreich" which has very good contacts with the heads of the Austrian federation.

Co konkretnie powiedział Rehhagel działaczowi OFB? What specifically said Rehhagel działaczowi OFB? Austriacy nie mają się czego bać, że Polacy nie są do tego turnieju odpowiednio przygotowani pod względem taktycznym, że jest zaskoczony liczbą błędów, jakie popełnił Beenhakker. Austrians do not have a feel of what to fear that the Poles are not for this tournament adequately prepared in terms of tactical, it is surprised by the number of errors it committed Beenhakker.
post #19 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 16:00
Premier Player

To be or not to be for Polska!

Last edited by pablome; June 12th, 2008 at 16:19.
post #20 of 152 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 16:12
Premier Player

Roger cooks up Poland scheme

Thursday 12 June 2008
Roger cooks up Poland scheme
by Aidan Fitzmaurice from Bad Waltersdorf

Midfielder Roger Guerreiro dreams of scoring a goal for his adopted Poland against Brazil, his native country, in the FIFA World Cup some day. But for now, the 26-year-old is focused on helping Poland out of UEFA EURO 2008™ Group B as he targets his first competitive international start.

Vital game

Poland lost their opening game against Germany 2-0, so need a good result against co-hosts Austria in Vienna. The Sao Paulo-born Roger, who joined Legia Warszawa in 2006, qualified for Polish citizenship in April before making his debut against Albania on 27 May, knows how important today's match is, for the two teams. "It's vital – not only Poland but Austria as well lost their first game and this match will be decisive for both," Roger said. "Whoever loses will effectively say goodbye to the tournament. Therefore I think it will be an open game with a lot of chances, and whoever makes fewer mistakes and better use of their opportunities will take the victory. I hope that will be Poland."

Hopeful signs
The former SC Corinthians Paulista and CR Flamengo man replaced the injured Maciej Żurawski at half-time against Germany and could start in the captain's stead tonight. Roger is taking heart from that first performance. "We might have lost to Germany, but we played on an equal level with them," he said. "Of course there were some details that decided the match in Germany's favour, and I think against Austria it will be the same. They might not have the same technical skills as Germany, but Austria compensate for that with physical strength and fighting spirit. We have to show the same will and try to play our own game, so we can pinch the win."

Polish pride
Roger also predicts goals at the Ernst-Happel-Stadion – and is particularly keen to find the net on the international stage. "I must admit that I have joked with my friends about playing against Brazil and scoring against them," Roger said. "Poland have helped me a lot in my career. Going there opened doors for me in Europe. I had a short stay in Spain [with RC Celta de Vigo] but Poland gave me the chance to stay and play in Europe. Now I am defending the colours of Poland. Playing against Brazil might cause me mixed feelings, but I would give my best for Poland and try to score a goal to make our fans happy."
source: 'Roger cooks up Poland scheme'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in