Why Euro2008 wont be that good - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 14:10 Thread Starter
World Class Player
 
Est1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
Posts: 7,751
Blog Entries: 3
Why Euro2008 wont be that good

The day of Euro 2008, but i give you bad news...Euro2008 wont be that good, before you organise a hitman on me... hear me out.. this is why


The type of Hosts

Without been overly negative to the austrians and the swiss, they arent the most free and love-junkie of nations. Nothing inspires you that they are going to create an atmosphere that gets you excited about the tournament. Before we had the portuguese who are very passionate about their football and then Belgium and Holland, where the dutch are obviously very colourful and passionate. A good host, that has very confident and passionate fans will always make for a good tournament and this just isnt the case with the hosts this year. During the Fritzl case, it was said that the austrian population kept themselves to themselves and I think this is definitely true for the fans,who just arent as passionate as other nations and I definitely think this makes a difference (maybe because of my next point)

The quality of the hosts

If you look at WC06, half of the fun was the fact you were going ot Germany and you would take the title off a nation that was a very good nation (this was particulary the case with Germany later in teh tournament), if you look at Italy, that match was fantastic, made all the better because it was a top quality host nation. This time, its a given that the hosts arent very good and that they probably wont go very far. This probably makes my point above more valid, because their own fans know that. If you look at Austria, their ranking really indicates they arent the quality to compete (their own fans doing petitions tells all). This means that it just doesnt make for a good tournament when the hosts arent very good, I dont know 1 specific reason, but it just doesnt.

The lack of a set of quality players

I can think of Ronaldo and Torres, who really has the ability to light up the tournament, but noone else really. In 2004, we had Zidane,Ronaldo,Henry,Ballack etc etc. Now this isnt the case, players like Henry havent been in top form in Spain, so this doesnt inspire much confidence. Zidane has gone and Ballack is Ballack.Me personally, thinks that this is because the players now are young and when you had players like Zidane around, you knew that they were quality.. there was no debate. I also think this crap with Ronaldo has overshadowed the tournament abit and 1 player is now bigger than it. This therefore diminshes the value.

The groups

Whilst we have 1 absolutely mental group. The rest arent really upto much. Group A looks fairly 1 sided in my view because the Czechs always do well and this just goes through. I think we could well see teams winning their first 2 games and there been no drama in their last game. I think the groups could have been a lot better. I mean look at todays fixtures.. they dont inspire me massively and I doubt they inspire others much.All the attention is around 1 group and I dont think this makes for a good tournament.

The past tournament

Austria and Switzerland has a big act to follow. The German world cup was a big one, one full of passion and pride and performances. Looking back, it was an amazing tournament. This re-ermegance of German Pride, the English been crap again, the lack of trouble (on a mass scale), the matches were absolutely classics. Its just hard to follow and I think people still remember Germany and this means they will striggle to enjoy this and much as they did back in 2006.

And finally for me... The lack of England

England not in is a big thing. As much as you hate them, you ahve to think.. it wouldve been good to laugh at them, all their hope and pride falling at the QFs again. Us English add something, an atmosphere, most of us have a lot of banter with the opposition, were the ones to have a game on the park in the city with some opposition fans.Also the number of rivalries England have around Europe means that whatever group we wouldve been in, it wouldve made another fantastic one. Say we directly rplace Russia.. Spain (2 top nations fighting it out) Greece (That game in 2001), Sweden (The fact weve faced them so many times).. where as Russia have nothing on them.


But there again.... I cant wait !!!

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.


R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
Est1975 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 14:16
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2004
Location: Hull
Teams: Hull City Tigers
Posts: 31,297
We've absolutely stunk out the last few tournaments. Obviously I'm not happy we're not there (although at the time I was, just to get Baldy out), but fromthe perspective of a neutral, I doubt they'll miss our boring dragged out 1-0 wins against smaller teams before choking in the QFs.

Rob is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 14:45
Defunct
Xtratime Legend
 
numerodix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Location: NL
Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Posts: 23,341
The stuff about Austria/Switzerland being a bad host is just plain ignorance. You're saying that Portugal and BeNe were good hosts in hindsight. That's easy to do. I think the truth is as Europeans we don't know very much about Austria and Switzerland, because they're not the big eco-political powers, so we don't know what to expect. What a great chance to find out, then.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
numerodix is offline  
 
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 14:50
International
 
Join Date: 10 2007
Posts: 5,697
Isn't choosing a host where the beautiful game can still make progress, an equally fair thing to do than to choose an established host? Hosting this tournament could make the Swiss and Austrian people fall in love with football and give that spark that could lift up their entire domestic game. Take USA 94 for example, the US were never really a soccer-orientated country and at that time did not have a professional domestic league even, but since hosting that world cup the soccer game has made steady progress in the States.

The lack of England is not an issue IMO. They were not good enough to qualify, so nobody should complain about their absency. Also, they currently don't have many players who could really bring a spark to the tournament, and you can maybe say their fans will be missed but I do think Swiss and Austrian police and citizens will disagree with that.
Crackedpleasures is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 14:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
You are wrong in every single point but it was worth the effort.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:02
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 11 2004
Posts: 867
I disagree, IMO all groups are a great mix, and without clear cut favourits for the quarter finals.

Group A:

Probably the least interesting group of all but Portugal-Czech and Switzerland-Turkey could be great games. And the 2nd place isn't a guarantee for the Czech republic, Switzerland could pull an upset.

Group B:

Germany, Poland and Croatia all have very good teams, capable of winning the tournament. It is a shame all of them can't progress to the quarter finals. And while Austria probably has the worst team in the Euros, they are the hosts and that means a lot.

Group C:

France, Italy and Netherlands fighting it off can their be better. Yes it can Romania has a decent team that has the quality to pull an upset and proceed.

Group D:

Sweden with Ibrahimovic, Spain with Torres, Russia with Guus and Greece the reigning champions, not bad not bad at all.


I don't know I think this tournament has a lot of upset possibility, to bad some stars are missing. If their is a team I'd replace with England it would be the Turks.
juventus2 is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:08
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Anomander Rake's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2003
Location: Bulgaria
Teams: Lazio, Blackburn, Ajax, Italy
Posts: 13,058
Quote:
the matches were absolutely classics
Nice joke.

And thread moved to Euro 2008 forum.

“But we're a university! We have to have a library!" said Ridcully. "It adds tone. What sort of people would we be if we didn't go into the library?"

"Students," said Senior Wrangler morosely.”
Anomander Rake is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:10
Star Player
 
victorvaldes.1.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2005
Teams: Yids, Gillingham and Barca
Posts: 4,204
great for up and coming players, nasri, ribery, moutinho, modric etc
victorvaldes.1. is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:11
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 11 2004
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by numerodix View Post
The stuff about Austria/Switzerland being a bad host is just plain ignorance. You're saying that Portugal and BeNe were good hosts in hindsight. That's easy to do. I think the truth is as Europeans we don't know very much about Austria and Switzerland, because they're not the big eco-political powers, so we don't know what to expect. What a great chance to find out, then.
I don't know how big of economical power is Portugal compared to Austria and Switzerland. After all you are comparing two of the richest countries in the world with one of the poorer countries in the EU. The same can be said for Belgium and Netherlands they aren't richer then Austria and Switzerland but yes they are quite developed.
juventus2 is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
gravesends's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2003
Location: New Jersey
Teams: Eskişehirspor, Türkiye
Posts: 22,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by juventus2 View Post
I don't know I think this tournament has a lot of upset possibility, to bad some stars are missing. If their is a team I'd replace with England it would be the Turks.
Soooo I guess you don't like attacking football, oh yeah you support Italy, apologies

1954-2006

Eskişehir'de Doğdum ESKİŞEHİRSPOR'LUYUM
gravesends is offline  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:14
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 11 2004
Posts: 867
Don't be offended, that's just because of the inflated star factor(I guess the EPL hype is getting to me) and the lack of coverage of the Tukish league where I live. I am sure you will play great football.
juventus2 is offline  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:14
Defunct
Xtratime Legend
 
numerodix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Location: NL
Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Posts: 23,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by juventus2 View Post
I don't know how big of economical power is Portugal compared to Austria and Switzerland. After all you are comparing two of the richest countries in the world with one of the poorer countries in the EU. The same can be said for Belgium and Netherlands they aren't richer then Austria and Switzerland but yes they are quite developed.
Granted. However, the lack of Austria/Switzerland's footballing reputation, *combined* with their economic status makes them a quiet voice in a noisy room to put it that way, ie. few people will notice.

Holland and Portugal have a completely different football reputation to draw on.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
numerodix is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
gravesends's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2003
Location: New Jersey
Teams: Eskişehirspor, Türkiye
Posts: 22,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by juventus2 View Post
Don't be offended, that's just because of the inflated star factor(I guess the EPL hype is getting to me) and the lack of coverage of the Tukish league where I live. I am sure you will play great football.
:thmbup: Nihat was the third highest scorer in La Liga and just coming back from injury, imagine if healthy.

1954-2006

Eskişehir'de Doğdum ESKİŞEHİRSPOR'LUYUM
gravesends is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:25
Premier Player
 
pablome's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2005
Location: Canada - Stoney Creek
Teams: Arsenal, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, PL NT
Posts: 1,361
This Tourny will be awesome!
Expect Emotion...**** it if England cant play..Im really sorry but hey!
The English can join n support some other team. Its not the end of the World
The hosts are hosts. And there is still some good players to watch. Lets not get toooooo damn picky!
So Lets do this!
Wooooooooot!
pablome is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:34
IVO
International
World Class Player
 
IVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 1999
Posts: 8,545
I don't know why anybody would have issue with Austria Switzerland hosting. They might not have strong teams but that won't affect the way they host the tournament.
IVO is offline  
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 16:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
The Green One's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2002
Location: M22
Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Posts: 38,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
We've absolutely stunk out the last few tournaments. Obviously I'm not happy we're not there (although at the time I was, just to get Baldy out), but fromthe perspective of a neutral, I doubt they'll miss our boring dragged out 1-0 wins against smaller teams before choking in the QFs.
Are you kidding? For most people on this board our failure is their highlight of the tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
The Green One is offline  
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 16:37
Xtratime Elite
 
Dmitriy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2004
Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Posts: 63,175
England's not there blah blah blah..stop with that crap already.

R.I.P Ari
Dmitriy is offline  
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 16:49
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
Star Player
 
deathclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2006
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Teams: Bulgarian NT, Spurs, bg teams
Posts: 3,512
If you can only think of Ronaldo and Torres, your knowledge is pretty crap.
deathclaw is offline  
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 16:50
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 05 2004
Posts: 1,712
As WEnger said, the more interesting players will be the youngsters coming through.

And my only problem is the fact they've allowed a multi-national sport be played in a neo-nazi nation.
dreath is offline  
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 16:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
English supporters are just amazed to find out that there is actually a huge amount of interest for a tournament where they don't participate. Welcome to the real world.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome