post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Semi finals pairings=A big joke!

Semi finals pairings:

A1-B2=B1-A2

C1-D2=D1-C2

:rollani: ,i must say i lost 50 per cent of the interest inthe euro with this shit!

Great now france-italy in the group stage and maybe a france-italy in the semi finals,morons!:rollani:,who had this briliant idea?

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:14
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Serbia
ridiculous.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serb
ridiculous.
Switzerland
Czech rep
portugal
Turkey
Germany
Austria
Croatia
Poland

Chose your finalist!p

It is great for Portugal but this is insane.:rollani:

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:35
IVO
International
World Class Player

I don't know why people make such a big deal out of this. Why do you think that two teams in the group stage shouldn't meet before the final other than the fact that you're used to it being that way?
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:38
Xtratime Legend

because I don't want to see two teams play each other twice in 3 weaks, unless there is no other option. The possibility of two teams playing each other twice, is much greater if they can meet in the semis, then only in the finals.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:43
IVO
International
World Class Player

I hear you but I really don't think it matters. That system was chosen just as arbitrarily as this one.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:48
Xtratime Legend

but why change it? It's liek they just want to change things for no reason.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:29
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO
I don't know why people make such a big deal out of this. Why do you think that two teams in the group stage shouldn't meet before the final other than the fact that you're used to it being that way?
IMO for it to be a true tournament there has to be a cross-over at the semi-final stage, like this we're essentially playing two tournaments and fans from each half really have no interest in the other side until the very late stages.

More importantly, crossing over earlier means that any lopsided draws are nullified, like this we basically have the Germans and Portuguese salivating over a final appearance while defending champs Greece and favourites Italy, Holland, France and Spain will fight it out for the other spot.

It's also a joke that both host nationas are in the same half of the draw.

Anyway, it panned out good for Croatia so cheers to UEFA stupidity...

ps. the only reason I can think of for this move is the fact we have two host nations. They probably figure that doing it this way increases the chances of either SUI or AUT going deep into the tourney.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:36
Legend

It's retarded, at first I thought it was some mistake, but no, it's on the UEFA site...it's not enough that we have one group 75% the same as in '04, that we have a bunch of teams in the same group that were in the same qualifying group, and now this...when a team wins a Euro by playing the same 2 teams 5 times it's really not quite the same as a team that plays all different countries, and beats them all...so it cheapens it, really...as a fan you want to see as many different matchups, and if your country is going for it, you want to see them beat ALL the contenders, don't you?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:39
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

This is done for the co-hosting. If it was one host, this wouldn't happen.

The same thing happened at the World Cup in Asia, and it probably cost us a place in the final because we had to play Brazil twice

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:41
IVO
International
World Class Player

Fair enough guys...but I guess I don't share your outrage :fero:
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:46
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Şeytan
This is done for the co-hosting. If it was one host, this wouldn't happen.

The same thing happened at the World Cup in Asia, and it probably cost us a place in the final because we had to play Brazil twice
Actually it's not because of the co-hosting. Group A is played in Switzerland, and Group B in Austria - same goes vis-a-vis Groups C & D. Yet teams from groups A play teams from groups B in the QF and SF (and same for C vs. D). Furthermore one of the A-B QFs is in Switzerland and the other Austria (same with the C-D quarterfinals). The Euro in 2000 was cohosted yet they didn't have the pairings like this. So it would make no sense to say this is due to cohosting...

Also, for the WC, I think it is simply impossible to make the pairings in such a way that avoids teams from the same group meeting in both and SF and QF. So they are done so that teams from the same group do not meet in the QF, but it is possible to meet in the SF. I could be wrong...
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:54
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

I'm not sure of the reason why, but it only happens in co-hosted events.

It's not impossible to avoid it at the World Cup at all, all you have to do is put the group winners of groups A to D on one side of the draw to play the runners-up in groups E to H. On the other side of the draw, the runners-up from A to D against the winners of E to H.

They only done it as such in '06 because finishing first or second in the group would affect which country Japan or Korea would've played. By making the format ****ed up, they just ensured they stayed on the home side of the draw no matter what.

Same thing applies here, and applies wherever the tournament has 4, 8, 16, 32 (or 64, 128 . . . .) teams.

It used to happen in the World Cup when there were 24 teams involved, but that was because it was just a stupid format with the "best third placed" teams qualifying as well.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:54
Premier Player

Teams: Germany, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Barca.
It's as if they are dividing the teams into 2 groups & the winners of the groups play each other in the final!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:33
Xtratime Legend

Exactly, and that is silly.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:35
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
It is indeed ridiculous. It is normal that sometimes 2 teams are unlucky enough to reach each other in the group stage who could meet in the final. Not only Italy, France, Holland, Romania, but also Portugal v Czech... Croatia v Germany etc.

So whoever made this fixture list were obviously drunk at the time and did not realise 1996 where Germany v Czech in GS and Final and also Portugal v Greece in 2004.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:55
Star Player

Teams: Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhovare_ZD
ps. the only reason I can think of for this move is the fact we have two host nations. They probably figure that doing it this way increases the chances of either SUI or AUT going deep into the tourney.
Spot on. Although I don't see Austria getting out of their group (with all due respect of course ).
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 13:52
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix
It's retarded, at first I thought it was some mistake, but no, it's on the UEFA site...it's not enough that we have one group 75% the same as in '04, that we have a bunch of teams in the same group that were in the same qualifying group, and now this...
Gets boring indeed but blame it on the pots. I do not understand why the draw had to have seeded teams and four pots, these are supposed to be the 16 best teams in Europe so why not just throw them all in one pot and let the innocent hand decide? The chances of repetitions of games already played in the qualifiers would have been less.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 14:04
Xtratime Legend

Exactly, Euro draw should be totally random.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2007, 14:10
Premier Player

Teams: Germany, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Barca.
But throwing them all in the same pot will mean that one group might look like : Germany, Italy, France, Holland!

Probably the best way to do it is to make sure that there are not more than 2 defending champions in 1 group. Suppose there are 6 defending champions in the fray, then at first allot 4 of them into 4 groups & then allot the remaining 2 in 2 groups, like that.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in