Quaresma sold to Manchester United? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2002, 22:34 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quaresma sold to Manchester United?

Seems that the british media has just reported that Quaresma will join Manchester next month. Do you agree with this transfer? The deal we made a few months ago with MU will be profitable but it might ruin our team year after year.
Anyways, the tranfer fee reported is about 15 million euros.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2002, 23:46
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
What is your source for this story? I reserve reaction until I know where you read this.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2002, 01:55 Thread Starter
Rookie

Looks like the deal isn't confirmed yet. Click the link for the sorce

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/2532183.stm

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2002, 01:56
Rising Star

Teams: SPORTING
Got this from the BBC website................

Sunday, 1 December, 2002, 10:45 GMT
Man Utd eye 'new Figo'

Quaresma has been called the next Luis Figo

Manchester United are preparing to lure Portuguese starlet Ricardo Quaresma to Old Trafford in the New Year, according to reports.
The 19-year-old Sporting Lisbon winger has been billed as the "new Luis Figo".

And United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is reportedly willing to pay as much as £10m to sign him when the transfer window reopens in January.

Talks are believed to be under way between the two parties through agent Pini Zahavi, who brokered Rio Ferdinand's £30m switch to Manchester during the summer.

Quaresma, who just missed out on making Portugal's World Cup squad, is a versatile midfielder who can be played on the right or through the centre of midfield.

His performances in the Portuguese top flight this season have already alerted Real Madrid and Juventus.

Ferguson, though, looks set to win the race for the teenager, who has been hotly tipped for a lengthy international career by United's Portuguese coach Carlos Queiroz.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2002, 03:35
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I seem to recall Sporting signing Quaresma to a 25 million dollar release clause. Do the release clauses not apply anymore?

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2002, 16:16
Star Player

Teams: Portugal, Sporting
Just saw a story where Queiroz denied the rumour.

Wherever he goes, I hope it's not to the same kinds of circumstances Viana finds himself in, i.e. under used.

It would be better for players like Quaresma to be sold to teams that are really desperate for their services, and that can expose these developing players to a higher level of play than they've experienced at home. If he goes to Man U or Real Madrid he will rarely see the pitch.

Last edited by Tinto; December 2nd, 2002 at 16:19.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2002, 17:57 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dae
I seem to recall Sporting signing Quaresma to a 25 million dollar release clause. Do the release clauses not apply anymore?

Actually I thought that the release clause of Quaresma was 30 million dollar/euros. Now the media reports he will leave for half of it
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2002, 18:02 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinto

It would be better for players like Quaresma to be sold to teams that are really desperate for their services, and that can expose these developing players to a higher level of play than they've experienced at home. If he goes to Man U or Real Madrid he will rarely see the pitch.
I couldn't agree more, in MU Ricardo will be just one more option, and he will probably warm the bench most times. Toda's edition of ojogo is reporting that
Manchester wants Cristiano Ronaldo as well, this is insane.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2002, 21:33
International

The only club that would actually use Quaresma, would probably be a team without any good midfielders. For some reason I can't seem to think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are teams in Spain and Italy which would really require him. Also, I agree on the ManU part, but I think at Real Madrid he would still have a slight chance of reaching the pitch in his first year. Real Madrid took Casillas who hardly ever saw the pitch into one of the most known goalkeeper in the world, and he's only what? 20, 21? I say the only move Quaresma won't want to make is to a club that wants simply to have him as a bench-pet, simply for show like Man U.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2002, 22:25
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinto
Just saw a story where Queiroz denied the rumour.

Wherever he goes, I hope it's not to the same kinds of circumstances Viana finds himself in, i.e. under used.

I couldn't agree more. Teh fact Viana left for Newcastle's bench makes me sick, literally. Our team, although explosive, simply has not replaced his calming and directorial influence in the midfield. He was the man in the engine room, as the british like to say.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2002, 03:50
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
this is what i read from channel4 about quaresma...

--------------------

Inter hatch Quaresma plan Monday 2 December, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter are reportedly set to sign the talented Ricardo Quaresma – and then immediately loan him to Parma.

The Portuguese ace has caught the eye of Nerazzurri chief Massimo Moratti who is said to have hatched a deal with the Gialloblu.

Moratti wants to buy the Sporting Lisbon ace but then send him to Parma who are actively developing some of Europe’s finest talents with their youth development project.

Tardini Coach Cesare Prandelli and the club’s technical director Arrigo Sacchi are said to be keen to take the 19-year-old.

Despite his talent, Quaresma would probably struggle to make a regular impact at star studded Inter but the Gialloblu outfit would allow him the chance to mature in Italy.

The youngster usually plays on the right hand side of midfield and is being heralded as the new Luis Figo.

However, his talent doesn’t come cheap. Sporting want close to £11m for the teenager.

In other Inter transfer news, Arsenal are still heavily interested in Turkish player Belozoglu Emre.

The Gunners are said to be ready to offer £10m for the international ace who arrived at the San Siro in the summer of 2001 along with Okan Buruk from Galatasaray.

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2002, 20:59
Star Player

Quaresma playing at Parma would not be such a bad idea. Parma is a great team with a lot of bright, young talent. Why not? Better off at Parma than at Man U, no? Albeit only for a season or two. Sounds like a good arrangement.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2002, 22:05
World Class Player

Teams: Detroit Red Wings
if Quaresma leaves Portugal at this age...consider his career done UNLESS he goes to a bottom tier team in another league where he will be titular every single game.

Best to stay at SCP for another 2-4 years

Cry me a river you whiney little bit.........

-Charlie Brown
Leaders of the New School
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2002, 22:47
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Agreed, Marco. I'd hate to see him go the way or Delfim and perhaps Viana, who may be simply too young to make much noise with Newcastle.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2002, 00:53
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Maybe Rui Costa ought to have a talk with him.... eh, Dae?
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2002, 01:27
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

True. If the kid is going to rot on anybody's bench then it should be Milan's.

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2002, 08:57
Rising Star

i heard this kid is great.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2002, 22:44
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

You heard right. He's got great moves and pace and once his crosses become more consistent, he'll be a perfect winger type.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2002, 02:59
Tim
Xtratime Legend

I read a report that said Manchester United and Sporting are in talks about forming some sort of partnership, were they would share information, loan players to each other, and so forth.

I don't know how accurate this is, but if it were to be true, it would certainly better the chances of Quaresma going to Man Utd.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2002, 23:00
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Sporting and Man U are entering some sort of partnership. I think it's similar to what River Plate and Juventus were attempting during the summer. Don't know if they consumated the deal.

Basically, Man U would get dibs on our young studs and we would benefit as a training ground for their kids. I don't know who wins out (most likely Man U) but if it feeds some money our way and decent players, then great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in