Brag v Sporting - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2002, 21:58 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Brag v Sporting

At the 65th minute, the score is 4-2 Braga. Goals for Sporting by Kutuzov and Tello.

What teh hell. Where the f*ck did our defense go? Did somebody get hurt and I don't know about it? Jardel could average a hat-trick a game when he returns and it still wouldn't mean anything if we allow 4 a clip.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 14:42
Star Player

The only good moments for Sporting aside from their 2 goals was Quaresma's dribbling.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:08
Rising Star

The tello goal is the goal of the year thus far and I would doubt that we will see another like it. WOW!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:28 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I didn't see the match. Anybody with a review?

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:30
International
International

Teams: Benfica, Portugal
That was a great goal. But Braga's last goal was a thing of beauty as well. Barroso lined up some 15 yards in front of the ball, and everyone in the stadium is expecting yet another bomb from the Man of the Match, but a sweetly placed left footed shot from the guy nearest to the ball leaves everyone gaping!

....There was also a conspiracy against Sporting to keep them out of 1st place by 26 points. The conspiracy is about to be revealed in a public judicial forum soon enough. It's hasn't anything to do with Golden whistles, but with Golden Showers, as Sporting Administration and coaching has conspired to piss all over themselves this season.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:39
Rising Star

you talking about Glauber's goal? Where the hell was the wall? The ball went waist level and not at a terrifying speed. Bad positioning by the defenders in the wall.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:41
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
Oh where to begin...where to begin....

I still cannot believe they scored on a PK and 3 - 3!!!! - set-pieces. In the past 3 years, I think Braga has scored 6-7 goals on us off of set-pieces.

The Defense: Terrible, even awful at times. If they are not commtting stupid fouls near the area, then they are just ball-watching. Quiroga let the Braga defender waltz into the area on the 1st play that led to Braga's PK. The marking on the 2nd goal was atrocious. I still don't like Quiroga, and I hope to God Hugo never EVER plays another game for us. I don't understand how that idiot ever played in Serie A. At the rate we're going, I'm expecting us to sign Paulo Madeira anyday now.

The Midfield: Did anyone else notice how our midfield improve after we took off the old legs (Paulo Bento, Barbosa) and brought in some youth (Carlos Martins, Ricardo Fernandes)? I don't know what happen to him, but Paulo Bento is losing it very quickly. Barbosa was crap. The only bright spots were Tello and Rui Bento. Poor Bento covered so much ground yesterday that I thought he was going to collapse. I agree completely with Eng66 - Tello's goal was awesome!

Attack: Quaresma played real well, though his crossing was quite suspect yesterday. Kutuzov finally did something yesterday. However, Niculae is not looking well. He is not the same player he was before his injury. He plays as if he is afraid of a little physical contact. He also gets knocked to the ground more than I ever remembered.

Goalkeeping: Had it not been for Nelson, this could have been 5 or 6 goals at the half; he made 3/4 beautiful saves in the 1st 20 minutes. I don't think the PK nor the 2nd goal were his fault. The 3rd bounced off the wall, which you can't blame him either. However, I think he's partly responsible for the last goal. Though everyone was tricked, the wall was badly made and that's his fault.

Tactics: It's too phucking simple to beat us: Step 1) win the ball in the front of your area, Step 2) play a pass to your attacking mid or a striker who checks back for the ball Step 3) both Bentos collapse on the said player, who in turn plays a one-touch ball out to the wing Step 4) the Player on the wing has miles of space to work with, thus creating a 2v1 or 3v2 situation against a slow footed defense. Our team keeps no shape whatsoever. There is open space everywhere and poor Rui Bento can't cover it all by himself. My cousin's Girl's high school team does a better job of covering space.

Solution: I think we need to go back to a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1. Play a back four with Prates, Beto, Contreras, Rui Jorge. Rui Bento at trinco, Tello on the left, Quaresma on the right, and either Ricardo or Carlos Martins at attacking mid. Kutuzov/Niculae up front.

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:45
International
International

Quote:
Originally posted by england66
you talking about Glauber's goal? Where the hell was the wall? The ball went waist level and not at a terrifying speed. Bad positioning by the defenders in the wall.
Yeah, Glauber's goal. And yeah it was bad positioning if the defense and the goalie had for one moment thought that Glauber was going to strike it. Everyone thought Barroso was going to strike it from his position and both the wall and the goalie were set up for the Barroso strike.

Dae, the game was on RTPi last nite. It was a great game, the first half had everything. It had 3 goals in a 3 minute span. Braga really unloaded in the first half. Nelson had to make 3 spectacular saves just to keep the score reasonable. All of Braga's goals came from dead ball fouls. Sporting couldn't help but commit silly fouls in front of their area.

....There was also a conspiracy against Sporting to keep them out of 1st place by 26 points. The conspiracy is about to be revealed in a public judicial forum soon enough. It's hasn't anything to do with Golden whistles, but with Golden Showers, as Sporting Administration and coaching has conspired to piss all over themselves this season.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:50
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEagle
Yeah, Glauber's goal. And yeah it was bad positioning if the defense and the goalie had for one moment thought that Glauber was going to strike it. Everyone thought Barroso was going to strike it from his position and both the wall and the goalie were set up for the Barroso strike.

Dae, the game was on RTPi last nite. It was a great game, the first half had everything. It had 3 goals in a 3 minute span. Braga really unloaded in the first half. Nelson had to make 3 spectacular saves just to keep the score reasonable. All of Braga's goals came from dead ball fouls. Sporting couldn't help but commit silly fouls in front of their area.
My understanding of a setting up the wall is that it must cover one half of the goal so that the goalie is limited to the other half. It shouldn't really matter who is shooting. If the shooter hits the upper corner over the wall, take your hat off and concede the goal. If the guy bends the ball at about 30-35mph at waist high around the wall and the ball goes in about 2-3 yards from the post, I would consider that a positioning problem.

Could the ex-goalie pipe in. Not talking about you Pila. Penguin what you think?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:52
Premier Player

Quote:

Dae, the game was on RTPi last nite. It was a great game, the first half had everything. It had 3 goals in a 3 minute span. Braga really unloaded in the first half.
Agreed. As sick as I am about losing, that 1st half was probably some of the best soccer I've seen in the Super Liga this year. I think the rest of the league should take note of Braga, Pacos, and Santa Clara and start playing some attacking soccer. The Liga is better off with games like this, than 1-1 snoozers between Setubal and Beira Mar.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:56 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Penguin
He plays as if he is afraid of a little physical contact. He also gets knocked to the ground more than I ever remembered.

Maybe he's been hanging around with JVP too much.

Thanks for the recap. Do you guys get the portuguese package or what? I only see matches when RTPi carries them.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 15:58 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:

Dae, the game was on RTPi last nite.

Just read that as I posted. I guess I have to check the official site more often. What time did it come on?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 16:06
International
International

Quote:
My understanding of a setting up the wall is that it must cover one half of the goal so that the goalie is limited to the other half. It shouldn't really matter who is shooting. If the shooter hits the upper corner over the wall, take your hat off and concede the goal. If the guy bends the ball at about 30-35mph at waist high around the wall and the ball goes in about 2-3 yards from the post, I would consider that a positioning problem.

Could the ex-goalie pipe in. Not talking about you Pila. Penguin what you think?
I'm not arguing that it wasn't bad positioning. It was. However it was bad positioning because they didn't take into account the left bender. They expected Barroso to nail it with his right foot. The play surprised them and it was very well disguised.

And Dae the game was on at 8:45 last nite.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 16:10
Premier Player

Quote:

Not to take away anything from Glauber's goal (it was real nice), but the wall was improperly made. There was just enough space between the last defender in the wall and that post that allowed him to his kick off. When this happens, 2 things come to mind - either the wall is not properply positioned in line between the near post and the ball, or the angle at which the wall is facing the ball is all wrong. In the either case, it's the goalie's responsibilty to call out the adjustments. Hence, Nelson has to take some blame for the ball.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 16:15
Star Player

Teams: Portugal, Sporting
It's 11:00 a.m. Toronto time right now, and I 've just finished watching a replay of the game on JUMPTV.com (RTPi). Useful little site during the slow days at work.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 16:18 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I have to agree (although) I did not see it, that unless the ball is curved over teh wall into the top corner, the goal should not have happened. Either the wall failed or the goalie failed to cover his side of the goal. The only waste high curve shots that don't follow this pattern are the outside of the foot rockets used by dudes like roberto Carlos, but even those go into the side of the goal the keeper isn't defending.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2002, 10:51
Rising Star

Anybody notice how that was never a free-kick(Glauber) in the first place!
and moments later Kutuzov was brought down while trying to shoot for goal and we should have had what was a clear penalty.
I must say we played badly , but we still kept our heads up and wen't for it!
Hopefully things will get better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in