Sporting vs Inter Aug 27 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2002, 06:12 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Portugal, Sporting
Sporting vs Inter Aug 27

Anyone know the lineups? Will Ronaldo play? Is this on T.V.? I hope yes in both cases, but just thought I'd try to get a discussion going on this important game.

SPOOOOOOOORTING!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 05:31
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
INTER VS SPORTING - LIST OF PLAYERS CALLED UP BY BOLONI FOR THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PRELIMINARY CLASH
Monday, 26 August 2002 15:09:18
APPIANO GENTILE - Boloni has revealed the list of players called up for Sporting Lisbon’s Champions League third preliminary round clash against Inter.

Keepers: Tiago, Nuno Santos

Defenders: Quiroga, Contreras, César Prates, Beto, Rui Jorge, Hugo, Valdir

Midfielders: Marcos Paulo, Rui Bento, Paulo Bento, Ricardo Fernandes, Danny,Carlos Martins, Luís Filipe, Tońito

Strikers: Quaresma, Pedro Barbosa, Ronŕldo, Kutuzov, Niculae.

inter.it

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 06:20
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Champions League Preview: Inter-Sporting
Latest News | News Archive

Inter will be relying on Vieri (Reuters)
08/26/2002. BACKGROUND

Inter's 0-0 draw with Sporting in Lisbon means the Italian side must win this one outright or face the torture of penalties if they are to be playing in this season's Champions League.

How they would have loved an away goal in Portugal and they would have had one had Christian Vieri not missed a guilt-edged chance in the latter stages.

The club have again been stressing just how important it is that they make into European football's premier club competition.

Javier Zanetti last week spoke of the need to not let the Ronaldo saga distract them, while Luigi Di Biagio has made a point of how important it is to stay focused from the start and not chase an early goal at all costs.

Inter may not be able to call on Ronaldo but there are a host of other men who could make a difference. Massive things are expected of Stephane Dalmat this campaign, and he has won much praise from coach Hector Cuper. Surely a chance to impress for France can't be far away.

Domenico Morfeo is another who has impressed in pre-season and he could well be the answer to the left-sided problem. Things look good for Inter but this is a banana skin game if ever there was one.

Sporting kicked off the defence of their title at the weekend with a routine 2-0 win over newly-promoted Academica. Ricardo Quaresma gave Laszlo Boloni's men the lead before a Tonel own goal ended the visitor's hopes.

The Portuguese giants seem no further forward with want-away striker Mario Jardel. The club last week released a joint statement with Barcelona saying there was no deal for the player, but he still seems intent on leaving. Without him there is a huge whole in the attack but there's little point in keeping a player so desperate to get away.

PROBABLE LINE-UPS

(Available later)

soccerage

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 16:25
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Are they showing it on RTPI? RAI? ???

O GLORIOSO

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 20:41
Star Player

No it's on RTP1 but you can watch it online at www.jumptv.com with the channel Telenorba!

0-1 Inter in the 31st minute goal by de Biaggio on a header!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 20:56
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
Phucking Tiago!!!

I could kill that bastard!!!

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 21:23 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Portugal, Sporting
2-0 at the 63rd minute :depress:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 21:37
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Looks like Sporting is out unless there luck changes.

O GLORIOSO

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 22:12
Rising Star

Teams: SPORTING
2-0 final score!!!!!
:depress: :depress: :depress:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 22:25
Legend
Legend

Teams: Inter
You can draw an easy conclusion. Sporting should have NEVER been drawed against Inter. Seriously boys. Sporting is a great team. I was very impressed and never been so scared of a team in my life. It´s really crappy that they won´t be able to participate in the CL.

If you asked me, for the best of the CL, both teams should have been there.

You are a fantastic team when playing with ball possession. Very good indeed!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 22:35
Xtratime Legend

Sporting was lame, very dissapointing. The main problem was that you had no player in the area so your moves will end to someone. Niculae is too small and "peripheral" to play that role and both Tonito and Quaresma did not have anyone to feed. I suppose Jardel solves that problem but Sporting should really have purchased someone else than Kutuzov... Someone stronger and bigger who can play in the area.

Cesar Prates was impressive. Classy full back! Good game also by Pedro Barbosa and Quiroga. The rest were virtually inexistant with Tiago being absolutely ridiculous. He gave away both goals!

With Jardel or another big striker your team will work much better.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 23:10
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by AMOROSO!
The main problem was that you had no player in the area so your moves will end to someone. Niculae is too small and "peripheral" to play that role and both Tonito and Quaresma did not have anyone to feed. I suppose Jardel solves that problem but Sporting should really have purchased someone else than Kutuzov... Someone stronger and bigger who can play in the area.

We've talked about this here before. Sporting are playing tactics that require a target man ala Jardel. Nicu is a player who needs a second, or rather, he is the second to the lead forward. He cannot play the lone striker role with any success.

I also agree that Kutuzov is a rather pathetic answer to our loss of Jardel. Granted, I think he's a pretty good player, but he is not the "go to" guy we need.

Maybe when JVP arrives he can add something to the mix and give Nicu a partner.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 23:11
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy
You can draw an easy conclusion. Sporting should have NEVER been drawed against Inter. Seriously boys. Sporting is a great team. I was very impressed and never been so scared of a team in my life. It´s really crappy that they won´t be able to participate in the CL.

If you asked me, for the best of the CL, both teams should have been there.

You are a fantastic team when playing with ball possession. Very good indeed!

Thanks, Jimmy. A classy post.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 03:14
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Champions' League Preliminary Round, Second leg - 27/8/02
Inter 2-0 Sporting Lisbon
Di Biagio 32 (I), Recoba 44 (I)

San Siro (51,405)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An inspirational Alvaro Recoba scored one and set up another as Inter booked their spot in the Champions' League.

Despite claims that Fabio Cannavaro was ready to make his debut, the former Parma man was left on the bench in favour of Marco Materazzi while Domenico Morfeo again covered the left flank.

The 0-0 first leg scoreline left this a very open game, but it was Sporting Lisbon who had the strongest start as Barbosa's fierce drive shaved the near post.

The Nerazzurri struggled under the pressure and were pinned back into their own half by waves of Portuguese attacks.

The only inspiration appeared to come from Alvaro Recoba and the Uruguayan forced Tiago to tip a curling effort round the post.

On the resulting corner Recoba's centre was met by Gigi Di Biagio to break the deadlock. The goalkeeper was a little hesitant and the midfielder took full advantage.

Yet the home side continued to struggle at the back with Niculae just failing to turn in a dangerous Quaresma effort.

Christian Vieri's header thumped the post, but the referee had already stopped play for his offside position.

An inspired Recoba doubled Inter's lead just before the break with a free header on an inch-perfect Domenico Morfeo cross.

Sporting had no intention of giving in and brought a desperate save out of Toldo within the first ten seconds with a Tonito piledriver.

Cannavaro eventually made his official debut for the final half-hour, pushing Javier Zanetti up into midfield.

Recoba again made an impact with one of his trademark free kicks from 30 metres that went just wide.

Vieri looked out of sorts following his recent thigh problems and wasted several opportunities in front of goal.

Late on Toldo was called to twice parry close-range Rui Jorge efforts, while at the other end of the field a splendid Recoba volley was palmed out with some difficulty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter: Toldo; Zanetti, Cordoba, Materazzi, Coco; Guly (Cannavaro 58), Di Biagio (Almeyda 78), Dalmat, Morfeo; Recoba, Vieri (Corradi 85)

Sporting Lisbon: Tiago; Cesar Prates, Quiroga, Contreras, Rui Jorge (Fernandes 82), Rui Bento; Pedro Barbosa, Beto, Tonito (Kutuzov 58), Quaresma (Gomes 75); Niculae

Ref: Temmink (Hol)

channel4
---------------------------

didn't really watch this game...but i watched the first leg...sporting is a great team...like jimmy said, it's a shame not to see them in the CL...they should have been there...they deserved it...

good luck for the rest of the season...

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 13:20
Star Player

Cesar Prates said it best when he said Against Big Teams like Inter you cannot fail goals and unfortunately without Jardel that's all we did!

Also Pedro Barbosa said about Sporting "Big in Portugal small in Europe"!

SCP played well but missed way too many opportunities we held possession well and even attacked heavily but without a striker we were sh!t out of luck! Too bad Sexy football don't count for goals cuz we'd be the kings!

A depressing day for Sportinguista's all over the world!!!

Anyways

Congrats to Inter they were the deserving side! Forza!!!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 15:24
International
International

Teams: Benfica, Portugal
Tough luck for Sporting, but playing without JVP and Jardel is too much to over come in Europe and even in Portugal as the season progresses.

I loved the way Quaresma abused Zanetti on that one move.

And Tiago is not a goalie.

....There was also a conspiracy against Sporting to keep them out of 1st place by 26 points. The conspiracy is about to be revealed in a public judicial forum soon enough. It's hasn't anything to do with Golden whistles, but with Golden Showers, as Sporting Administration and coaching has conspired to piss all over themselves this season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in