Don't sleep on the new look SCP! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 15:38 Thread Starter
Star Player

Son't sleep on the new look SCP!

No Jardel No JVP.....No Problem!

Quaresma, C. Ronaldo, Barbosa, C. Prates, Contreas, the Bento boys, Niculae, Kutusov, Ricardo Fernandes, C. Martins! Young but they will still kick your asses!

I've been impressed with them all preseason they've moved the ball well and attacked/defended well! No one can match our speed and creativity.

Not to mention we were the only Portuguese team not to get spanked by Celta de Vigo.

I love it that cats are writting us out already just cuz no Jardel or JVP well see if that will be the case when we win back to back titles!

Viva O Sporting! Bring it on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 16:37
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
I'm liking the look of our team and its potential for the future. My only concern is the possible lack of scoring punch. Sure we scored five on Leixoes, but that means nothing. We dominated the Inter match and barely had any chances. I think playing Nicu and Kutuzov together will be a good play. Nicu isn't a target man/lone striker but he works very well with a second.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 16:44
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Speaking for myself, Jardel is was THE MAJOR FACTOR in Sporting's title. His loss brings Sporting's hopes of repeating a serious challenge. Especially considering that both Benfica and Porto have considerably strengthened their squad. Then there is the added difficulty of repeating which comes with the oldest law of all - law of averages.

Sporting's challenge of repeating have doubled, if not tripled. That doesn't mean they can't do it. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 17:50
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
I will go ahead and add my two cents for what it's worth (Which may not be much)

As for Porto, the addition Jana is great and he will definitely make an impact. As much as it pains me to say it, they also have other guys who will challenge for the mantle. Postiga is to me, one of the strongest players in the league.

Boavista, hard to say with Frechaut broken and Petit departing but a lack of talent has never hurt Jaime Pacheco's nor will it deter him this year, albeit he will have a tougher climb.

Sporting, while losing Jardel is a major loss (One of the best pure finishers in the game next to Larrson from Celtic), I jhave grown to respect Mr. Bologni and his tactics. JVP is only missing four league games and he will definitely be able to shoulder the load up front with Niculae. Not to mention that Quaresma has looked nothing short of impressive. I especially enjoy watching Tonito. This guy will definitely add some spark. Another major loss will be that of Hugo Vianna but I think JVP will pick up some of those duties....

Benfica, on paper the best team but we don't play futebol on paper. Tons of talent and most importantly depth and it will be interesting to see how Jesualdo plans to juggle the two...If last week against Real was any indication, I think he had it right. Although I wanted to see Nuno & Mantorras up front together with one less trinco. We were playing Real so having two trincos was the best strategy. Will be interesting to see what happens when we play teams of less caliber.....The Aguias are shoring up to win this year and if they get it right they will be back into everything they're used too (CL, League Champion, etc..)

Now, le'ts get ready to ruuuuuuuuummmmmmbbbbbbblllleeee!!!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 18:06
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
Fernandes is reminding me a little of Rui Costa with better aim. Do not forget about Danny , he is still finding his way . A very talented , young team .
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 19:59
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
Well I don't have much else to do, so here's my 2 cents:

Porto - I really thought that they were going to run away with the league this year. However, that was before PDC shot his load and sold off Andrade and Paredes. Without those 2 guys, they make Porto a little vulnerable, but not much. They did a fantastic job in filling holes on their squad: Paulo Ferreira is a great right back, Nuno Valente is very underrated on the left, Peixoto is a future star, and Derlei seems to be clicking with Postiga. Add to that the best set of Center Backs in Portugal, 2 great right wingers (Candido Costa, Capucho), Jankauskas, Deco, and Mourinho and you've got a complete squad.

Boavista - If they finish in the top 3 this season, Jaime Pacheco is going to have to come up with a heck of a coaching job. Petit leaves a big hole in the middle and I don't think Jorge Silva/Ico/Jocivalter can fill it. Plus, Sanchez is not getting any younger. If they are going to succeed, 2 players are going to need to step up: Bosingwa and Luis Claudio.

Benfica - The talent is there, I will not question that. However, I still have 2 questions with Benfica: Defense and the Roger/Zahovic/Mantorras 3-headed monster. I still think Benfica's defense is very spotty; Argel is overrated, and I think JMP played well over his head last season and I don't think he can do it again. However, Helder is a wild card. He's only 30/31 and could be a good addition. As for the other problem, I still contend that Benfica can't play effectively when Zahovic and Mantorras are on the field together. Based on that, there is no way that you could have Zahovic, Mantorras and Roger on the pitch at the same time. Somebody will have to sit, and it will be interesting to see how that person handles it.

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 04:38
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Alc !!!
Is Christiano Ronaldo the guy from Madeira ???

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 19:13
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
No I won't sleep on SCP........ I'll piss on them like I piss on the Porkos!!!!!!:fero:

I'm just joking , but though SCP is without JVP and Jardel they are performing good. Their two youngsters have made many people show great interest in their games. I am refering to no other than Quaresma and 17 year old C. Ronaldo. Quaresma has already proven that he is a great player and now he is stepping it up a notch to help his club win. C. Ronaldo has also proven himself with his performance against Inter. SCP is generating many of the best talent today.

O GLORIOSO

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 19:42 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by COUTO 5
Alc !!!
Is Christiano Ronaldo the guy from Madeira ???
Yes he is!

As far as Benfica is concerned, and I don't mean to hurt anyone's feeling here but isn't this the same sh!t every year? They buy this one and that one and still continue to lose. It's the same book different page! I'll take my current SCP line up and play SLB's starting 11 anyday of the week. I guarantee they can't attack like us or hold posession the way we do! Maybe this is the year though!

Nuno Gomes is a decent striker but he didn't do sh!t in Italy and is at best a 12 goals a year guy at best.

Porto - I'm not sure about yet!

SCP - will be ah'ight with Kutusov and Niculae up front, Quaresma on the right and Ronaldo on the left with Tonito and Barbosa filling in for JVP. Rui Jorge, Contereas/Beto, and Quiroga and Prates on defense have all looked good especially against Inter and the Bento boys in the midfield is Solid!

Not to mention our bench of Danny, Ricardo Fernandes, C. Martins, Valdir, Luis Filipe, Custodio and a very good striker on the B team named Joao Paiva who we might see!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 19:49 Thread Starter
Star Player

Couto, This is from the SCP website!

Nome Completo Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro
Posiçăo Avançado
Data Nascimento 05-02-1985
Altura(m)
Peso(Kg) 0
Naturalidade Funchal
Nacionalidade Portuguesa
1ş Clube em Portugal Sporting
Equipa Actual Sporting
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 19:51
Flo
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ALCATRAZ

Yes he is!

As far as Benfica is concerned, and I don't mean to hurt anyone's feeling here but isn't this the same sh!t every year? They buy this one and that one and still continue to lose. It's the same book different page! I'll take my current SCP line up and play SLB's starting 11 anyday of the week. I guarantee they can't attack like us or hold posession the way we do! Maybe this is the year though!
That's why we play the games ALC, we shall see
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 19:54
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Quote:

Well... naturally, Alc, we're a little more optimistic than you are regarding Benfica. Kinda, sorta like you with Sporting relative to us.

My feelings still intact, Alc. Carry on, big bro!

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 20:00 Thread Starter
Star Player

By all means! With all the new recruits and especially Nuno Gomes back to play along side of Mantorras I'd be all pumped up too!

I guess from your side of the fence you's look great but from this side we'll still whip yo' asses and win the title 10 points clear this year!

You's can't hang with our speed or creativity with the ball, when we play SLB you's will be sitting back not even trying to attack but waiting for a counter attack! You's can't hang! Cuz up and up we'll run you's off the field!

Last edited by ALCATRAZ; August 21st, 2002 at 20:03.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 20:17
Flo
Legend

Quote:
By all means! With all the new recruits and especially Nuno Gomes back to play along side of Mantorras I'd be all pumped up too!

I guess from your side of the fence you's look great but from this side we'll still whip yo' asses and win the title 10 points clear this year!

You's can't hang with our speed or creativity with the ball, when we play SLB you's will be sitting back not even trying to attack but waiting for a counter attack! You's can't hang! Cuz up and up we'll run you's off the field!
Alc, the Pollyanna of SCP! Always knew we could get along

If indication are like they were a few weeks ago, you maybe sweatin it my man

It's more like when we play you guys play us we will wait till the 25th minute before JVP gets busted for handing it to the ref....You will be reduced to 10 men...Or JVP will be doing his best 20th Greg Louganis impression of the game in the Penalty area and will finally be granted a PK and you win......
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 20:26 Thread Starter
Star Player

What's a Pollyanna?

Naw we won't need that sh!t!

All we have to do is play our game and stay away from Joao Manuel Pinto's Spit wads cuz you can't get too close to JMP he'll spit on you then run away like a little girl saying his feeling where hurt!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 21:41
Flo
Legend

Quote:
What's a Pollyanna?

Naw we won't need that sh!t!

All we have to do is play our game and stay away from Joao Manuel Pinto's Spit wads cuz you can't get too close to JMP he'll spit on you then run away like a little girl saying his feeling where hurt!
Pollyanna = Optimist

The feelings are mutual then with JVP and JMP. Chances are JMP will lose his job by 12/8 the date we come into Avelade and roll over you suckaz....

Expect Helder and Rocha in the middle....
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2002, 14:26 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Flotown

Pollyanna = Optimist

The feelings are mutual then with JVP and JMP. Chances are JMP will lose his job by 12/8 the date we come into Avelade and roll over you suckaz....

Expect Helder and Rocha in the middle....
Roll over us? yeah right! Bring it anytime! You see with all the $$$ SLB has spent the pressure is on you to be champions or atleast get into Europe this year with SCP everyone's has already ruled us out and say we are too young and inexperieced. So not only are we the reigning champions, cup winners, and Super Cup winners but we have no pressure on us! We've got nothing to lose!

....and Helder and Rocha in the middle is that supposed to be scary or something!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2002, 14:37
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
I Love it ....Thje dawn of the new season & the mild smack talk begins between the Lisbon crosstown rivals !!!!

Well all I say May the best team wins ( & very valid point Alc about the No Pressure on Sporting )

But remember 1 thing fella's , Maritimo will kick all your 's

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2002, 16:25
Flo
Legend

Quote:

Roll over us? yeah right! Bring it anytime! You see with all the $$$ SLB has spent the pressure is on you to be champions or atleast get into Europe this year with SCP everyone's has already ruled us out and say we are too young and inexperieced. So not only are we the reigning champions, cup winners, and Super Cup winners but we have no pressure on us! We've got nothing to lose!

....and Helder and Rocha in the middle is that supposed to be scary or something!
No not scary just the reality. JMP will hit a wall sometime before that. I don't know what you've read but as far as I know Sporting is still picked to finish well. And about no pressure? You guys are the reigning champs, expectations are there still. They haven't left.

On RTP last site, Jardel stated he doesn't want to play for Sporting. As far as I'm concerned, the guys is such a headcase you might be better off without him.....

I look forward to meeting you on the 8th since I will be attending the junkett as well there in Joisy.......We'll make a freindly wager ALC......

Cheers bro.....
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2002, 16:46 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Flotown

No not scary just the reality. JMP will hit a wall sometime before that. I don't know what you've read but as far as I know Sporting is still picked to finish well. And about no pressure? You guys are the reigning champs, expectations are there still. They haven't left.

On RTP last site, Jardel stated he doesn't want to play for Sporting. As far as I'm concerned, the guys is such a headcase you might be better off without him.....

I look forward to meeting you on the 8th since I will be attending the junkett as well there in Joisy.......We'll make a freindly wager ALC......

Cheers bro.....

Right on, Brother!

Lets be honest here though peeps is thinking SCP with no Jardel and no JVP for a while is toast and I'm loving it! Even though we are the defending champs if their is a poll on who will be champs guaranteed SCP would 3rd out of 4 between SLB, FCP, and Boavista!

Just the other day I believe it was Tinto who was saying that it is a shame the their will be no Portuguese teams in the CL this year and SCP is still alive as well as Boavista! Although SCP is in better shape since we haven't let up a goal. We have already been ruled out of the CL against Inter and I love that too!

I believe SCP will be the most exicting team to watch this season we the speed and youth we will play sexy football! I just hope we can finish!

Wtih No 42 from Jardel Then it will just have to be 15 from Niculae, 10 from Kutusov, 9 from Quaresma, 8 from R. Fernandes, 9 from C. Ronaldo, 6 from P. Barbosa, and eventually atleast 5 from JVP! Not to mention a couple of free kicks from Beto maybe 3 or 4!

There's more then one way to skin a cat!
--------------------

The smack talking is great it's all part of the competative spirit as long as it's kept cool and don't get personal!

BTW- I hope Santa Clara destroys SLB at the Estadio de Sao Miguel as well as FCP and Boavista but I hope SC loses twice this season to SCP!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in