post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 15:14 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Inter is ready for Sporting

Quote:

from Channel4.com

Marco Materazzi maintains that Inter will be looking for a victory against Sporting Lisbon in Portugal on Wednesday.

The Nerazzurri take on the capital side in the first leg of the Preliminary Round of the Champions’ League. And the stopper claims that his club will not sit back and defend.

"They will be like two finals. We can’t afford to go to Lisbon and shut up shop," said the former Perugia hero.

"We are going there with the intention of winning because we can’t just bank on the fact that the return leg will be played at the San Siro.

"We understand the importance of this match and we started pre-season training with this encounter in mind.

"We must go onto the pitch to play our game and demonstrate that we are a better team than Sporting Lisbon."

The San Siro giants have travelled to Portugal without star striker Ronaldo who is still in Italy considering his future.

However, Materazzi refused to be drawn into a statement regarding the unsettled Brazilian.

"It is a question that the club need to resolve. We can’t help him and we can’t pass comment," he added.

"We just have to get on with our job and concentrate on getting through the preliminaries of the Champions’ League."

Anybody know what the line-ups will be? Will Kutuzov get the start?

Any predictions on the result? Given it's a home match, we may get a victory, especially is all this Ronaldo crap has bothered Inter's chemistry. Bottom line is we'll need a lead going into the return leg.

In all fairness, this match should be happening in the group stages, not in the qualifiers.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 17:14
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
Our Potential line-up looks like this:

(3-4-2-1): Tiago; Beto, Contreras, Quiroga; Rui Jorge, Paulo Bento, Rui Bento, Quaresma; Tonito, Pedro Barbosa; Niculae.

There is a chance that Cesar Prates will start on the right, Quaresma would then start up front, and Tonito would sit.

Kutuzov is in no form to play 90 minutes; he might come in if we need a goal in the 2nd half.

Personally, I think Sporting should have 1 main objective: DON'T LET INTER SCORE! If Inter scores a goal or 2, we're toast. I am hoping for a 1-0 win, though 0-0 tie is more realistic.

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 18:19 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
0-0 tie? So you're saying we don't have a prayer of beating Inter and moving on?

Can Niculae really play asa lone striker? I always saw him as playing well with a second.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 22:30
Rising Star

Teams: SPORTING
I just checked the rtp website and the game is listed at 3:55pm EDT ( toronto, boston etc) on RTPi !!!!!

Go Sporting Go!!!!!!
:fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero:

Last edited by scpdude; August 13th, 2002 at 22:38.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 02:56
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Dae
0-0 tie? So you're saying we don't have a prayer of beating Inter and moving on?

Can Niculae really play asa lone striker? I always saw him as playing well with a second.
You know me, I'm an eternal optimist. However, I haven't had much luck when it comes to my soccer teams lately. Besides, I am very concerned about our attack. To ask this offense to score more than 1 goal without JVP or Jardel against Inter would be asking alot, IMO.

As for Niculae, you are absolutely right that he can't play alone. He's big and strong, but he's not a target guy, ala Jardel or Nuno Gomes. Expect Sporting to play more of a 3 man attack, with Niculae centering Tonito and Quaresma. That is Sporting's best bet. The 3 of them are very active and can interchange alot. Tonito can run all day and night, while Quaresma (and Barbosa) will be responsible for taking defenders on 1v1.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 03:01
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by scpdude
I just checked the rtp website and the game is listed at 3:55pm EDT ( toronto, boston etc) on RTPi !!!!!

Go Sporting Go!!!!!!
:fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero:
I hope it's true, but I don't think RTPi is going to show the game. ESPN has all the North American Rights to the Champion's League.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 05:04
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Champions League Preview: Sporting-Inter
Sporting Lisbon - Inter Latest News | | News Archive

08/13/2002. BACKGROUND

If this clash was a Champions League quarter final, it would by no means look out of place.

After all, we're talking about the Portuguese champions and a side that were only denied the Scudetto title by a defeat on the final day of the Serie A season. Still, one of these sides will be competing in the Uefa Cup this season.

Sporting's preparation for this match has been somewhat overshadowed by the whole Mario Jardel situation. Rumours were abound that the player had mean hospitalised due to his depression at the split with his wife, but the club have now said this is not the case. Nonetheless, the player failed to show for a medical assessment on Monday and is not in the squad for this game. He remains keen to get away.

The question is, how will his side cope without him in this clash? Well they'll bring in the Romanian striker Niculae who was prolific last season (seven goals in 16 games) only to get injured early on, but it's hard to replace a man who scored each of Sporting's last nine goals of the campaign. It also remains to be seen how Lazlo Bononi's men will cope without Hugo Viana. Time will tell.

The ongoing Ronaldo saga must surely have disrupted Inter's preparation for this most vital of matches. It is clear that the Brazilian wants to leave and that coach Hector Cuper will not stand in his way if he is desperate to go. The reasons behind his desired departure seem to be his need to return to Spanish football and his dislike of the more tactically disciplined Calcio. Shame if he does leave as he'll never be remembered as one of Serie A's true greats as he had every potential of becoming.

The vibes from the Inter camp have mainly been those stressing just how important it is to make it into the cash rich first phase of the Champions League- something Inter failed to do in the 1999/00 season when they were beaten by Helsingborgs at this stage. Luigi Di Biagio, Alvaro Recoba and Cuper himself have made a point of quite how vital to the Nerazzurri's season this game is.

But what of on the pitch matters? Fabio Cannavaro has every chance of making his debut in Lisbon following last Wednesday's ?5 million move from Parma.

"It's a possibility," says Cuper. "By that point he will have been through five full training sessions and with Parma he has already played two friendly matches."

The Argentine has also realised that Stephane Dalmat's best position is without doubt central-midfield. If the former Marseille man is given a fair crack of the whip this season, we could be talking about a regular in the French side by the end of the season. That's how much potential this man has.

soccerage :fero: beat sporting!!!

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 08:19
Rising Star

Actually i think RTPi has to battle with RAI to see who will carry this game internationally, but both could show it!
ESPN does not have the rights to broadcast preliminary games!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 13:55
Star Player

Teams: SL Benfica & FC Internazionale
RAIi will not show the game, but RTPi will. Look for the inverse to be the case in two weeks for the second leg.

If it were any other team besides my beloved Internazionale, I'd wish you guys luck - sorry .

"He (Pinto da Costa) doesn't realize we (Benfica) can generate more money on George Jardel Bobble head day than Porto can when they play Sporting" - MikeyO - 8.7.02
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2002, 22:32
International

I think Inter are underestimating the Lions.

I think that Sporting will be able to either hold them off or win.

I think my prediction will be 2-0 Sporting. Quaresma scoring both.

If we go all out on defense, and have our forwards without hesitation we could stump them. However when Jardel and Pinto come back it'll look a bit brighter for Sporting.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2002, 15:51
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
ZANETTI: "OUR THOUGHTS ARE ON THE RETURN LEG WITH SPORTING, WE CAN'T ALLOW OURSELVES DISTRACTIONS OF ANY TYPE."

Friday, 23 August 2002 02:13:03

MILAN - Following the Nerazzurri's 2-1 win against Roma on Thursday night, Inter captain Javier Zanetti emphasised the importance of the Pirelli Cup match ahead of next Tuesday's all-important Champions League clash, as well as giving an opinion on the Ronaldo situation.

Zanetti said: "Roma scored right when we were expressing our best game. These are things that happen in this sport. In the second half a vehement reaction to their goal was seen. It was a useful match in view of the return leg with Sporting.

"All our thoughts are on that match, we can't allow oursleves distractions of any type. We're leaving it up to the club to deal with it [the Ronaldo case] and I'm sure our managers will act for the best as always.

"If I could give him some advice I would tell him to think about it serenely. Ronaldo should stay for the right reasons. He should be happy to play for Inter."

O GLORIOSO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in