Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Sporting open factory to produce more Figos

from onefootball.com

Quote:

Telles proud of new Sporting 'player factory'

Sunday 23rd June 2002

Sporting football director Miguel Ribeiro Telles hopes the new academy that opened this week would lead to more players of the calibre of Luis Figo and Hugo Viana coming through the club's ranks.

Sporting are renowned for producing world-class players and one of their most promising assets, Portugal Under-21 star Viana, joined Newcastle United for Ł8.5 million last week.

The Lisbon giants are keen to continue the production line of world stars and have been developing a new academy in Alcochete for the past two-and-a-half years.

After officially unveiling the centre, Telles declared: "It is a player factory. Sporting now has one of the best academies in the world and I am sure it will give us a financial profit in the future."

The new state-of-the-art academy includes five full-size pitches and a residential area for 48 young players. The facilities will also be used by the Sporting first team, who are set to begin their pre-season training there next month.

As long as Sporting add to infrastruture and plan for the future, then everything is good. Sporting have always been a producer and cultivator of talent. It's just too bad we can't keep them around. I really think we'll miss Viana. It wasn't until his emergence that the team took shape and then dominated it's way to the championship.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2002, 21:41
Rising Star

If we can't keep them why make our opposition stronger!
Now that weve completed this it is so important that we do well in the Champions league and remain in the competition as long as we possibly can!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2002, 12:46
Star Player

I was hoping Sporting would keep Viana for another 2 years...a year atleast.

Now I will look forward to Newcastle and other premiership games on Sportsnet in Canada.

As for the Sporting production line, WOW. SPORTING INC seems to get bigger and bigger every year and by the end of the decade could be larger than Benfica.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2002, 13:55 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

So long as it is responsible growth, then it's all good. The more tangible assets the club has, the better its financial position. It's how Benfica and Real Madrid manage to exist with cash flows that often slow to a trickle.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2002, 22:27
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
I am so freaking excited for our future. We are becoming the Portuguese Ajax! Not only that, we could potentially dominate the Portuguese league for the next decade, IF we do things right. With the academy in place, we are 2 steps ahead of Boavista or Porto, and light years ahead of Benfica.

Roquette had the foresight 5 years ago to start putting the infrastructure in place. First, the SAD (PLC) was created, then the academy, and next the Stadium, which should be all paid for by next season.

Hopefully, we can make a strong run in the CL this season, too. I was hoping we could keep Viana for at least this season so that we could make a good run. I was hoping we could make a run with strong, young team, ala Ajax in 1995-96.

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2002, 22:48 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Penguin

Hopefully, we can make a strong run in the CL this season, too. I was hoping we could keep Viana for at least this season so that we could make a good run. I was hoping we could make a run with strong, young team, ala Ajax in 1995-96.

IMO, losing Viana is a much bigger loss than losing JVP, although JVP is a huge hit. I thought our team lacked any focus or organization until Viana entered the side. IF we can replace him with a good player, then we may be OK. I think somebody like Barbosa or Tello can replace JVP fairly reliably.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2002, 23:49
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
Quote:
Originally posted by Dae

IMO, losing Viana is a much bigger loss than losing JVP, although JVP is a huge hit. I thought our team lacked any focus or organization until Viana entered the side. IF we can replace him with a good player, then we may be OK. I think somebody like Barbosa or Tello can replace JVP fairly reliably.
We definitely have some "potential" replacements for Viana, but no guarantees. Custodio is going to be a good player, but I think he will be more like a Paulo Sousa-type midfielder. For me, I think Carlos Martins could be the man to replace Viana. He's got a lot of skills and is a great passer.

Another potential option is Danny, from Maritimo. This kid is fantastic! Hopefully, we can seal the deal in the next couple of days.

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in