Greatest goal scoring season ever? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2002, 20:28 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Greatest goal scoring season ever?

Jardel scored his 41st and 42nd goals of the league season today. Given the fact he missed the first 3 or 4 games of the season (somebody give me the right number) and he was totally out of shape the first couple he played, you have to take his season as simply an absurd display of scoring. Another Sporting player, Yaludze (check spelling, Penguin ) scored 47 one year, I believe, but given teh games Jardel missed due to the transfer negotiations with Gala, you have to wonder if the guy wouldn't have broken 50.

Heck, take into account all competitions and the guy has to have close to 55.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2002, 00:36
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
I did some checking on the numbers and I was shocked in what I found out. While Jardel scoring 42 goals in 31 league games is extremely impressive in this day and age, it still is not quite a spectacular as Yazalde's 46 goal season. Yazalde scored all 46 goals in only 29 games!! However, the most impressive number has to be that in 1946/47,while playing for Sporting, Fernando Peyroteo scored 43 goals... in 19 games !!!!!!!! That's 2.26 goals per game!!!

Of course, you have to put some historical perspective on these numbers. Defense was an after thought back in those days, the extra games (i.e. UEFA Cup, friendlies, WC qualifers) tend to wear the players down. Also, the league is much more balanced and competitive than it was in 1974, let alone 1947. That 1947 team was head and shoulders above everyone else in Portugal. Had there been a Champion's League back then, we probably would have won a 1 or 2 titles.

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2002, 21:27
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
But, if you subtract that total from Joao Pinto's dives that resulted in penalties, Jardel only scored three goals.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2002, 21:50
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Hey Pila, as a financial analyst myself I concur with your mathematical reasoning !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in