Sporting vs Salgueiros - 2001/02 Portuguese League - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 21:30 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Sporting vs Salgueiros - 2001/02 Portuguese League

Wow! Sporting on top 1-0 from a absolutely perfect cross from Quaresma to the head of JVP.

I've been wanting to see Tello and Quaresma on the field at the same time from the start and Boloni finally has put them out there together. Q looks awesome. I hope Tello puts up a good game because I think he along with JVP and Quaresma provide an awesome backdrop for Jardel as a solo striker.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 21:38
manuel

Salgueiros should have been in front from that free kick. Good header by JVP left the keeper with no chance. Why is Nelson playing now? It has also puzzled me why he was called up despite Tiago being first choice at SCP.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 21:41 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ohmigod!!! Minute 35 and Jardel actually made an open field move with the ball!!! He actually dribbled past someone with actual flair!!!! Of course, he continued on to dribble into three defenders and lose the ball, but it's still something!

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 21:49
manuel

I guess. He can finnish like god but he cant do much else. Come on Salgueiros are playing you off the field at the moment.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 22:01 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

You obviously missed the incredibly subtle sarcasm. :rollani: I also think Jardel can't do crap other than finish.

Oh, and you must be watching another match because Sporting is doing just fine. Certainly not being played off the field. :rollani:

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 22:12
manuel

Oh sorry i was watching Bradford Vs Crewe. Crewe were playing us off the park.

Sorry it was just for a few minutes when i made that post that they were playing ok ie had a lot of possesion. You wethered the small storm though. 3-0 on the way i reckon.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 22:29 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

According to the half time stats of RTPi, SCP had 52% to 48% possession. But regardless, possession is overrated. It's what you do when you have the ball that counts. I couldn't care less if the opposition has the ball in their own half or the half-line for longer periods of time. That is useless possession. Sporting's goal came off of a very short possession, but it was a vital and perfectly executed one. That's all that matters.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 22:31 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

2-0 Sporting!!!

I never saw that coming. Not from Quiroga, but it was a perfectly taken freekick to the far post and Quiroga's header was beautifully placed. Very nice goal.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 22:34 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Salgueiros nearly connect with a header from the corner. I must say that the only part of this Sporting team that worries me is the defense's weakness to defend in the air. I seem to have noticed wuite a few near goals from headers in the last couple of games. Paco Ferreria (sp) nearly had a couple last weak. I hope that doesn't mean anything for the battle with Boavista next week.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 22:54 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Jeez, is there a player more useless in the open field than Jardel? If he could finish breakaways with his feet, he'd have scored in the 89th minute and in the last match as well. It's such a waste.

Tello nearly got the rebound, but a nice clearance by the Salgueiros defender stopped it.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2002, 23:01 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

A solid performance, if unexpectacular. I guess that's what championships are made of.

Prates looked out of tune, but since he hasn't played much lately, I guess it's understandable. Other than that, I thought everybody did their job well enough. Jardel was pretty much invisible, other than a blown breakaway, but it was nice to see JVP get a goal and Quiroga pick up the slack.

Next up, Boavista. After next Saturday, we'll know who's going to win this thing. I can't wait.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2002, 00:16
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
Great result, considering that was a rag-tag lineup we put out there! Tello playing at Left-Back? Prates playing Center-Mid? Whatever Boloni did, it worked! I was definitely worried when I saw that Beto, Paulo Bento, Rui Jorge, and Barbosa were all out injured.

I thought Tello played great and Viana was his solid self. Great goal by JVP, but I felt as if he was holding back a little. He was probably already thinking about Wednesday's NT game against Finland.

I have to admit that Andre Cruz has grown on me a little; he's slow as molasses, but he is still solid as a rock back there.

Good to see Custodio get a run out! I've been dying to see this kid play for a while. Too bad he only got 6 minutes.

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2002, 11:39
manuel

Quote:
Originally posted by Dae
A solid performance, if unexpectacular. I guess that's what championships are made of.

At this late stage its all that matters for all the teams if they are to seal their future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in